Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

423 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2007 7:04 PM by hittingstride RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2007 9:54 AM

Newbie: Big Guy Big Feet: What brand shoe?

ok.... first off is there a "search" option on the forum? (it's probably right under my nose, but couldn't find it, before i posted this)

240lbs..6'2" (not big boned, but big frame/linebacker, 15months ago i was 320lbs, did the loss with cardio and learning how to eat healthy).....

i need wide shoes.... right now i'm doing 2.2 miles perday offroad(woods/hills)... i'm on track to do my first 5k t-giving day..... if there is a difference in offroad(dirty)/onroad shoes tell me...

thanks for any help!!

CHEERS!

ps any eating tips the day before & day of 5k would be great.....(now: 1300-1500cal, 100-120g proteins, 110-150g carbs, 20-25g very clean fat: per day)

----

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade!!

CHEERS!!

i'm here because i lost 80lbs via www.sparkpeople.com[/URL" target="_blank">  and i'm here to take it to the next level..."i hope"!!LOL

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Nov 1, 2007 10:43 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Newbie: Big Guy Big Feet: What brand shoe?

I think I may have chimed in on one of your previous posts with a congratulations, but if I didn't - congratulations!

Go to a specialty running store - they'll guide you through the shoe buying process.

Eat normally the day before your race. The day of, it will depend on when your race is. Most races are early to mid morning. At only 5k, you don't have to worry about running out of fuel so many of us eat nothing before a race. If you do need to eat something, a half bagel and PB or a banana and PB are common staples.

• Birdog Amateur 116 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    2. Nov 1, 2007 11:14 AM (in response to Guest )

I've done lots of running over 200 pounds and as high as you are.

The best shoes are the ones your feet love. You should be able to tell when you have them on. You'll love them.

It seems everyone makes shoes for heavier runners. I've never liked any of them. Even when I was heavy. I ran in underrated shoes for me. Why? Because I liked the way they felt. I now run in what they call racing shoes. Not racing flats. They are a neutral, lightweight shoe that provides some cushioning. Bear in mind....I'm also a person who likes and am moving more toward running barefoot. I like working my feet to do what they were meant to do. I've also found out this is what is good for me because I've had diabetes.

Trail shoes generally are a little lower to the ground and a little wider sole in the heel. This is for stability on trails. There are some nice trail shoes out there. I run in them on trails. One of the hotter brands lately is innov8.

You are wise running trails. It forces you to run stronger. Also takes the beating out of landing your feet. It is great running to do.

----

Ron
    When being chased by a bear...You don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

• rugby1080 Pro 171 posts since
    Jul 27, 2006
    3. Nov 1, 2007 11:33 AM (in response to Guest )

I wear a size 14.  I use Brooks Addrenalin 7.  I really like them.

Rugby

• hittingstride Rookie 22 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 1, 2007 7:04 PM (in response to Guest )

Hi: I am 220 and do about 35 miles a week. I wear a 12 EE and really like the New Balance 858.  I change shoes about every 375-400 miles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...