Skip navigation

5598 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2009 11:26 AM by revcoach7 RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 29, 2007 3:33 PM

How many years can Kobe remain dominant?

An interesting article I read earlier SI - Kobe asked this very question and I had never thought about it before and Kobe certainly didn't seem to want to think about it either according to the article. Will Kobe outlast those who dominated the game before him? What do you think?

Comparing Kobe's Minutes (from SI article)

Player -- Minutes -- Age

Michael Jordan -- 35,398 -- 33

Larry Bird -- 33,736 -- 33

Dominique Wilkins -- 35,512 -- 34

John Havlicek -- 32,799 -- 32

Reggie Miller -- 35,066 -- 33

Adrian Dantley -- 32,799 -- 32

Clyde Drexler -- 35,271 -- 32

Kobe Bryant -- 33,987* -- 29

• jstew1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    1. Dec 3, 2007 11:24 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: How many years can Kobe remain dominant?

I don't think Kobe has peaked yet...he has a couple years left until he's at his best in my opinion. He's young and still learning a lot about the game and what it means to be a leader. He'll be around for a long time to come.

• nvrunder7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    2. Dec 4, 2007 11:42 AM (in response to saraallent)

KOBE has been doing this already for 10 years and that has to be tough on your body.  No matter what a great athlete you are you cant compete or should i say dominate in the NBA past 35, and since kobe has already been doing it for 10 years i cant see him making it past that age.

• Jordan Jr. Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    3. Feb 21, 2008 2:57 PM (in response to saraallent)

I think kobe can remain dominant as long as he thinks he can ..michael jordan always said that 99% of the game of basketball is mental and the other physical 1% is "score" he also needs to keep the supporting cast around him that he has now the lakers are one of the top two teams in the west in my mind

• Test__71 Amateur 12 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. May 2, 2008 7:35 PM (in response to saraallent)

He'll be the best player in basketball for another year or two and then begin the decline.  As noted, he's played a boat load of minutes since he came into the NBA as a teenager, and there's only so much the human body can take.  More importantly, if the Lakers win a title in the next year or two Kobe will have fulfilled his main goal at this point, which is to win a title without Shaq.  At that point, it's extremely unlikely that his motivation will be as high as it is now.

• sweetpea80 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    7. Sep 14, 2009 8:34 PM (in response to saraallent)

just ran across this almost 2 years later.  at this point kobe shows now sign of slow down, and im curious as to what will happen in the next few years.

i have to believe that kobe will be slowing down at the age of 32-33, since he started  logging mins at a early age.  most importantly most of the guys on the list are from years ago where strength conditioning wasn't a core part of thier training espically early in thier careers.

i can't wait to revisit this thread in at the end of the 2009 season and afterwards

• revcoach7 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    8. Sep 28, 2009 11:26 AM (in response to saraallent)

u have got to be kidding i agree lebron is da next real deal but know way has he surpassed kobe they might be close hes not a clutch performer kobe has a better post game if u r 6' 9" u should do what lebron does n kobe has shown when he wants he can stop lebron

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...