An interesting article I read earlier SI - Kobe asked this very question and I had never thought about it before and Kobe certainly didn't seem to want to think about it either according to the article. Will Kobe outlast those who dominated the game before him? What do you think?
Comparing Kobe's Minutes (from SI article)
Player -- Minutes -- Age
Michael Jordan -- 35,398 -- 33
Larry Bird -- 33,736 -- 33
Dominique Wilkins -- 35,512 -- 34
John Havlicek -- 32,799 -- 32
Reggie Miller -- 35,066 -- 33
Adrian Dantley -- 32,799 -- 32
Clyde Drexler -- 35,271 -- 32
Kobe Bryant -- 33,987* -- 29
I don't think Kobe has peaked yet...he has a couple years left until he's at his best in my opinion. He's young and still learning a lot about the game and what it means to be a leader. He'll be around for a long time to come.
KOBE has been doing this already for 10 years and that has to be tough on your body. No matter what a great athlete you are you cant compete or should i say dominate in the NBA past 35, and since kobe has already been doing it for 10 years i cant see him making it past that age.
I think kobe can remain dominant as long as he thinks he can ..michael jordan always said that 99% of the game of basketball is mental and the other physical 1% is "score" he also needs to keep the supporting cast around him that he has now the lakers are one of the top two teams in the west in my mind
He'll be the best player in basketball for another year or two and then begin the decline. As noted, he's played a boat load of minutes since he came into the NBA as a teenager, and there's only so much the human body can take. More importantly, if the Lakers win a title in the next year or two Kobe will have fulfilled his main goal at this point, which is to win a title without Shaq. At that point, it's extremely unlikely that his motivation will be as high as it is now.
Before I get attacked for my poor choice in words I'd like to actually answer my own question....
LeBron James surpassed Kobe Bryant this year without a doubt. Done.
Thoughts on that?
just ran across this almost 2 years later. at this point kobe shows now sign of slow down, and im curious as to what will happen in the next few years.
i have to believe that kobe will be slowing down at the age of 32-33, since he started logging mins at a early age. most importantly most of the guys on the list are from years ago where strength conditioning wasn't a core part of thier training espically early in thier careers.
i can't wait to revisit this thread in at the end of the 2009 season and afterwards
u have got to be kidding i agree lebron is da next real deal but know way has he surpassed kobe they might be close hes not a clutch performer kobe has a better post game if u r 6' 9" u should do what lebron does n kobe has shown when he wants he can stop lebron
ACTIVE is the leader in online event registrations from 5k running races and marathons to softball leagues and local events. ACTIVE also makes it easy to learn and prepare for all the things you love to do with expert resources, training plans and fitness calculators.