Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2647 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 11:48 PM by Christie Love RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2007 3:46 PM

Hey Newbies--Can You Slow Down?

Back on the soap box. I continue to read too many posts by Newbies obsessed with how fast they run. Please take it from an old timer (31yrs of running) if you will slow down you will get faster. Walk somejog somemake it fun. Your mantra: Start EZ then back off!<br /><br />I kinda apologize for the repetitive nature of my posts. I want you folks to be lifetime runners. I may even let you join my new running clubit is very exclusive. It is called the 3 Decades of Running Club. I don't have a lot of members. Mostly because way too many folks do too muchtoo soontoo fast and some never even reach 6 months of runningno less 1-10-20-30+ yrs of running. If you are in for your lifetimewhat is your hurry? Thanks. I feel better. Nick

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 27, 2007 3:53 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)
    Re: Hey Newbies--Can You Slow Down?

Thank you Nick. As a newbie, I have read all of your old posts and have taken your advice to heart. So what if an old lady with a walker blows by me? I am out there moving. I have found that since I slowed down, I am able to do a bit better and am less winded. Thanks again for keeping it all in perspective. I hope to be a lifer with this, just have to keep chugging along.

• sandert Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 27, 2007 4:51 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I have subscribed to your philosophy since I started running 2.5 years ago and have yet to have an injury take me out for more than a few days.  Both times were related to shoes that wore out and new shoes and a few days of rest had me back to 100%.

My progress has been slow and steady, but even in my short "career" so far, I have astounded myself (as well as all my friends and family) at my increases in speed and endurance. I am not winning any races (or even placing in my age group in most races, only 1 4th or 5th place in a small sprint triathlon with 9 guys in my group)

But I have gone from sedentary (non-running at all) to having completed 3 (soon to be 4) marathons with steadily improving times (5:22, 4:49, 4:28) shooting for 4:00 in my next one. Until very recently (last 8 months or so) I went strictly by HR and almost always kept it low and noticed my pace was getting faster and faster at the same HR.

Anyway, keep on "preaching" the "slow down to run longer" message, as that is what my coach said when I first started running and I have been very happy to be running injury free and plan to continue this streak for a long time.

• LPF Rookie 77 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Nov 27, 2007 5:21 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Hi Nick, I run very slow and have built up gradually since April doing C25K and running 2 5K races at 36:40 and 38:20. The last two weeks I have done one long run each week, of 4 miles, and then another at 51 min on the treadmill at 3.5 mph for 3 miles (but felt harder). 50 yo female.

I have stretched everything out, gotten good shoes, orthotics, running about 12-13-14 min. miles. No problems until these long runs. Rest of the week was 20- 30 min. runs 2-3x. I do yoga. But I have some pain from arthritis in my hip joint. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to go back to just running not more than 2 or 3 miles to minimize the pain. It is always somewhat mildly there, but worse now.

Thanks for your advice. It has worked great for me until this recent trying to stretch my distance. This is the first time it really hurts and is persisting for several days. I really would like to run further - does not hurt when running, just for several days after.

I know you are not an MD, but any suggestions? Thanks, Lisa

4. Nov 27, 2007 5:45 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Thanks for this! I am in week 4 of C25K. I did day1 today and was nervous so I decided to slow down from week 3. I LOVED the way it felt! I finished both of my 5 minute runs without getting winded. I agree it is definitely what will work for me to keep me running. I don't enjoy pain, so pushing too hard will just end up making me quit. For now, I will work on the endurance, and get my speed up gradually.

• Mugulian Rookie 24 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    5. Nov 27, 2007 11:12 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick, thank you for your post. I am still new to running (mid august) and have been very careful about going to fast, yet I know sometimes I do. I always look forward to your post and your are a major inspiration for me. Every time I go to fast, I think about your post and how you have been running for so long and slow down. Thank you for your all your help.

• arlahile Rookie 144 posts since
    Sep 22, 2006
    6. Nov 27, 2007 11:34 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

You keep on getting up on that soapbox, Nick! We always have more newbies joining us, after all, so we need someone to keep beating that drum. I'm sure that more of them stick to it because of your message - at least that's true for me!

This newbie went from going too fast, to getting injured, to slowing down, and getting faster again...the difference is, I'm injury free and, most importantly, actually enjoying the runs! Thanks, Nick!!

Arla

• slavetodogs Rookie 100 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 27, 2007 11:37 PM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Hi Nick, every time I am running along and see I am doing a 13.5 min per mile pace I get concerned that it is soooo slooow.  But then I remember your posts and just relax and enjoy it.  I started C25K about February, started keeping track of estimated distance with the 20 minute run and will hit 300 miles this week.  Not bad for a 57 y.o. woman who has never run before.  Keep spreading the word Nick.
    ~Slave

9. Nov 28, 2007 8:09 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

I agree with Nick. Although I'm only at week 7 of c25k, I've learned that slowing down and loosening up/easing up my runs have made things a lot more fun. I have time to get faster. There's no rush.

Before I started c25k I tried to do the "run as fast and as far as I can" approach and it just didn't work at all. Knee damage and 3 weeks of physio later I rethought my approach and started over, slowly easing into it.

Listen to Nick, he's right.

• clvanacore Rookie 52 posts since
    Sep 20, 2007
    10. Nov 28, 2007 8:33 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Nick,

I have listened and taken your posts to heart. I may be the officialy slowest running newbie (I average 15-16 minute miles on a good day), but am focusing on building endurance comfortablyand running 4 days a week instead of 3. Speed will come.<br /><br />That's why I'm avoiding races for at least the first year or sowhy rush to race now when I have years to do so. Build a base and speed will come. Keep posing these reminders--I was starting to get frustrated with how slow I am (yet again).

Thank you for these posts!

Chris

• dg12002 Expert 614 posts since
    Aug 26, 2003
    12. Nov 28, 2007 8:53 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Just a fan of LRN, thanks for the message. You've more than earned the right to encourage and teach. Experience speaks and we yield.

You ask what is the hurry? It's what I call, sitting around on the couch for years or decades and suddenly I have to make up time and I now am neurotic about having to run marathons within 2 months. It's universal human nature.

Folks take LRN's mental approach, lifetime.

• techgirl321 Rookie 83 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Nov 28, 2007 9:03 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

Sometimes I get frustrated that it takes me 54 minutes to run 4 miles but then I think to myself "HEY!  I can run for 54 minutes straight! Without stopping...thats pretty D@mned good!!"
    Nick is the bomb dot com!
    He makes me feel like I'm not a lame-O!

Jess

• ForceD Rookie 482 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Nov 28, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to Long Run Nick)

quote:

Originally posted by Long Run Nick:

I may even let you join my new running clubit is very exclusive. It is called the 3+ Decades of Running Club.</b><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><br /><br />Nick - Can I be a member? Began running in the early spring of 1976 as a 9th grader.<br /><br />Dan<br /><br /><br /><br />

<br />I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know ..., then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature.<br />Ed Koren<br />Runner and Cartoonist, New Yorker magazine<br />
    <br /><b>The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.</b><br />

<br />When the going gets tough; sprinters quit.<br />
    --

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...