Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7404 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2007 7:26 AM by niemsco 1 2 Previous Next
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2007 9:43 AM

Why do you run?

The answer to this question is obviously different for everyone, but its interesting to hear. The vast majority of you reading this discussion are runners, but why?

For me, running has always been a part of me getting in shape for other sports, but it also allows me to clear my mind and think only about the road ahead.  Whenever I have a rough day or have a lot of my mind, running allows me to step away from it all and even if its just for a mile jog around the neighborhood.

So, why do you run?

• jstew1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    1. Dec 4, 2007 11:45 PM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Why do you run?

I run cause it gives me motivation and more energy to go about my daily life. Without running my life would be boring...it keeps me focused. I like running in events because it brings me back to the days when I used to play baseball and the adrenaline rush is there again. Nothing can compare to that. I love it and will keep running until I physically can't run anymore.

• xcrunner07 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    2. Dec 5, 2007 12:23 AM (in response to saraallent)

I run for a lot of reasons.  First off, it keeps me looking good.  I run to stay fit is what I'm saying.  Second, I've grown to become a lot faster over the past 5 years.  I used to barley beable to run a mile under 9 minutes, now I'm close to breaking 5 minutes.  I run for the competition.  running is a great way to get out and show people how much guts you have, what you're made of.  Last of all, I run because I just love to do it.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Dec 5, 2007 6:22 AM (in response to xcrunner07)

I run because I don't want to look like a mother of four kids!  And also to clear my head.  And hang out with friends.  And stay healthy.  Mostly because it feels good.  I do some races to stay motivated.

• aksitchler Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    4. Dec 5, 2007 7:47 AM (in response to jenhirr)

The reasons I started running are a distant memory, but I run regularly now so I can enjoy running on those wonderful days like the first snowfall of the year when I make the first tracks or the rare sunny and 50 degree day in Januray in the northeast.  I run to see a different side of a new city than most tourists see.   I run to celebrate my accomplishments.  I run because running is always there to help me through hard times.  I run so I can run with my mom when I visit home and keep up with her.

Thanks for making me remember all the great reasons I run.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Dec 5, 2007 9:48 AM (in response to saraallent)

I run for a wide variety of reasons.  I'll try and list a few of them here.

• Compared to where I was less than two years ago (before I started running again after a decade long break), I've lost about 40 pounds and lowered my cholesterol enough so that I no longer need to take medication.

• In all honesty, I run because I'm a competition junkie and I get a kick out of doing well in races. I can take a lot of pride in knowing that I perform well because I train harder than most of the rest of the field.

• I have much more energy throughout the day.

• I look a lot better and can fit in some of my old jeans again. Heck, my waist is actually slimmer now then it was when I was running college cross-country since I'm not on the pizza and beer meal plan.

• I get to be a role model for my daughters.

• Running doesn't require much expensive equipment (not that you can't spend a lot of money on gear if you want to) and you can do it pretty much any time and any place you want.

• I can run by myself when I want or with friends when I'd rather have company.

• Running is a "No Excuses" sport; you can't fake your way to good results.

• nvrunder7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    6. Dec 6, 2007 11:26 AM (in response to saraallent)

I run because i was an athlete all my life since i was a kid through college and i used to run because i had to.  But now that I am not a competitive athlete anymore I find running something i can do to compete with myself.  I still enjoy doing the sprints that i used to dread doing with my team, but it brings me back to that feeling of pushing yourself until you feel like your going to fall....and when you walk away from that it is more fullfilling than a boring day at work!

• ramyankee Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 26, 2007
    7. Dec 6, 2007 1:15 PM (in response to saraallent)

I answer phones during the day (I DISLIKE talking on the phone) and many of the people I talk with are whining, nitpicking complainers that by the end of the day are driving me crazy.  This is my time to bring the whole world back to where it should be.  Running relaxes me.

I LOVE running and the challenges of new routes and just plain "pushing" myself.

I want to live to see my GREAT grandchildren and maybe even GREAT-GREAT.  I want them to see me as a positive role-model and hopefully someone to strive to be like.

Probably most important is my quiet time to pray and be one on one with my GOD. When I am out in nature there are absolutely NO distractions.

• movo Amateur 7 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    8. Dec 6, 2007 1:37 PM (in response to ramyankee)

I run because it's a positive way to get rid of negative energy, if I'm feeling frustrated or uptight it's the perfect way to relieve those feelings and move on with my day.

• Zack W Amateur 28 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    9. Dec 7, 2007 8:32 PM (in response to movo)

I run because it allows me to challenge myself and it pushes me to get better everyday. I am not only physically stronger from running, but I am also mentally stronger from running. I enjoy a long run after work to free myself from the stress I undergo day in and day out at work. I need running. I love running. Thanks for reminding me why.

• saleema ross Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    10. Dec 8, 2007 11:11 AM (in response to saraallent)

I run because I can and I really like it until I see the hill going up (lol). But it a great way for me to keep in shape and relieve all the stress life gives you. I also like winning in the various races I enter.  Last race I finished 2nd place in a 10K.  The new runners you meet become great friends.  Next race..MADD Red Ribbon 5k.  See you at the finish line.

• bbchaser71 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    11. Dec 8, 2007 7:00 PM (in response to saraallent)

I run b/c I can clear my head, and think about the day, and I feel great afterwards. Nothing but me and the road. No one judging me, no one but me and the wind.  I love to hear my sneakers clicking along, and to feel the muscles in my legs extending and contracting. I love running.  I love having a small rear, and thin thighs. I love feeling like a wild stallion galloping in freedom.  I know the real world will tie me up soon enough. Running is my freedom.

Attachments:
  • ryedmm Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 9, 2007
    12. Dec 9, 2007 8:51 PM (in response to saraallent)

I started running again a year ago after a 10 year hiatus in which I gained weight, became lazy ect ect and now I won't stop again. Running gave me back my self esteem, I'm thin and fit and feel great. I run when I need to blow off frustration, to clear my head and to think by myself. I ran 5 miles this morning in the drizzle at 30 degrees and it felt great! I am training for my first half marathon in the spring and am very motivated about it. Thanks for asking

• Lauren Dachille Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    13. Dec 10, 2007 1:47 PM (in response to saraallent)

I started running bc I LOVE dessert and I want to be able to eat it without all the guilt. But  now I run to wake myself up in the morning and clear my head! By running first thing I start my day off literally on the right foot and now do not need coffee as my jumpstart.  I still love dessert, but I love the energy I get from a run much more !

• Dublin Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    14. Dec 10, 2007 5:12 PM (in response to saraallent)

I run for a multitude of reasons. First and most importantly is to provide as much activity for my dog as much as possible. She is part greyhound and pit bull so is stronger and faster than I will ever be. Personally, I love to run to clear my head from daily stress, increase energy by releasing endorphins, and probably most importantly to keep in shape and stay fit. Lastly, I run races to push myself to all limits and try to run faster and stronger than the previous race. This provides me with motivation for weight training and eating healthy to better prepare for my next race.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...