Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1465 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2009 4:24 PM by healthjunkie87 RSS
sara2340 Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2006 12:46 PM

energy drink

i was wondering if anyone drinks an energy drink before running. If so, what kind and how does it help??

• mutthound Rookie 293 posts since
    Apr 28, 2006
    1. Oct 17, 2006 8:31 PM (in response to sara2340)
    Re: energy drink

I don't but I read in an interview with Brian Sell of Hansons-Brooks running project that he and another guy on the team drink a gatorade/red bull mixture during the first part of a marathon.

• Iontach Rookie 1,340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 17, 2006 11:03 PM (in response to sara2340)

quote:

Originally posted by sarajean2340:

how does it help??

It depends on how long you're running for. Your liver stores enough glycogen to fuel at least an hour of running. If you're eating well and staying hydrated during the rest of the day, then there's no need for any topping up for shorter runs.

After you run, though, a snack with a 4:1 ration of carbs/protein is good - it helps your body repair.  Peanut butter on a bagel, a banana with yogurt, that sort of thing.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    3. Oct 18, 2006 8:09 AM (in response to sara2340)

Only an hour? I thought it was ~2000 calories, which would be maybe 16-20 miles (16 if you're going really fast, 20 would be more realistic at long run pace). For races, it's a good idea to carb load and also consume energy during the race (gels, sports beans, etc.). However, if it's a long run, there's a bit of debate as to whether you should consume calories during the run. Sure you should carb load and eat before you run (we're talking 3-4 hours beforehand, not right before - GI reasons), but a lot of people argue that by not consuming gels during training, you train your body to rely more on its fat burning system than its glycogen burning system. Have a look at greg mcmillan's site:
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/[/URL" target="_blank"> there's an article about it somewhere.

The 4:1 recovery thing is right on

• figbash Amateur 600 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Oct 18, 2006 8:30 AM (in response to sara2340)

Yes, you can store as much as 2000 kcal worth of glycogen, but unless you carb load before hand, 1700 is more realistic. That would indeed be good for 16-20 miles of running, but in reality you don't burn just glycogen when you run, you burn a combination of glycogen, fat, and a small amount of protein. The combination of these three fuels is more than adequate for 20+ miles of running at a long run pace without reaching glycogen depletion. I train using the McMillan[/URL" target="_blank"> philosophy and have made many 20+ mile long runs on nothing but water. It is possible, and it works.

Getting back to the original question, eating before short run is like topping off the gas tank in your car for a trip to the corner store. It won't hurt anything (as long as you do it an hour or more before you run), but it won't help either.

Tom

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Running Log[/URL" target="_blank">

• LeahC044 Rookie 129 posts since
    Sep 5, 2005
    5. Oct 18, 2006 10:08 PM (in response to sara2340)

The original question isn't about eating before running, it's about energy drinks and the benefits of them..

I think they're talking about things like red bull or tab..

Those drinks are full of caffeine and taurine. Caffeine means that you can work out harder and longer because it suppresses lactic acid, meaning you don't "feel the burn" as quickly as normal. The taurine gives you a burst of energy.

I've never had any of these things before running but I do sometimes drink it before a long ballet class if I'm feeling tired.  It wakes me up, gives me the energy to work and maintain good form so I don't risk injuring myself, and allows me to work longer..

• RaiderRunner070707 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 17, 2006
    6. Oct 19, 2006 6:18 PM (in response to sara2340)

Endurox and Accelerade are two powders that can be mixed into water to drink before, during, and/or after workouts. They both have the 4:1 ratio of carbs to proteins to help enhance endurance and boost muscle recovery, although they may not provide loads of energy that other drinks provide.

• markc7079 Rookie 190 posts since
    Sep 7, 2002
    7. Oct 21, 2006 9:37 AM (in response to sara2340)

In my experience, Red Bull provided a HUGE burst of energy when I drank some during a run.  Of course, it was after 2:00 am and I had been running since 6:00 am the previous morning, so my body definately needed a jolt!  I only had about a third of a cup of the stuff, and it kept me running for another 50K. 

Be sure not to overdo it, though. I doubt that it's a good idea to take in a large amount of caffeine when working hard, especially if you're going to be running at a higher heart rate (I was moving fairly slow by that point).

----

Mark

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• healthjunkie87 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009
    8. Jan 27, 2009 4:24 PM (in response to markc7079)

In my experience, energy drinks with caffeine just end up making me feel sick, especially after a run.  I recommend drinking Emergen-C Health and Energy Water before, during, or even after a run.  It provides honest nutrients--1,000mg of Vitamin C and B vitamins which give you a pretty good energy boost.  Compared to other energy drinks or enhanced waters, I think this one is the most naturally good for you and won't make you crash and burn like a red-bull.  Give it a try, and good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...