Skip navigation

6095 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2010 1:52 PM by BigRedCheerleading RSS
saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
Oct 2, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2008 3:32 PM

Cheerleading Fitness

How important is it for cheerleaders to be in good shape. I know it takes physical and mental skill to participate, but what level is needed?

If you do believe conditioning/training is important, why do you think so, and what do you do to make sure you are in the proper shape?

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    1. Apr 23, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to saraallent)
    Re: Cheerleading Fitness

To be in the proper shape you need to train well and rehydrate properly. That's why I suggest Vita Coco instead of Gatorade or water. It also tastes a hell of a lot better. It also has more potassium than a banana!

• BigRedCheerleading Rookie 3 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    2. May 12, 2010 1:52 PM (in response to Lyle65)
    Re: Cheerleading Fitness

Consistency in your training is key.  Every athlete needs to be pushed to their limit but there needs to be a consistent method of training.  On many of the teams that I cheered for, at practices, we ran the same training method every practice with little things changing to spice it up but when you go into practice, you need to know that its time to get down to business.  Putting a time frame on certain things like tumbling, suicides, crunches, hand stands.. etc.  All of the little details add up to a well rounded, conditioned cheerleader.

The kids love the challenge!

Hope I was helpful.  Feel free to ask any more questions!

Big Red

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...