Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16187 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2007 10:28 AM by BigRedWarEagle024 RSS 1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next
turkey2006 Rookie 9 posts since
Apr 5, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2006 8:35 AM

New Year Weight Challenge 20/20

Greetings!  I'm proposing a New Year weight challenge for anyone interested.  Goal: 20 pounds in 20 weeks. Starting 1 January 2007 - 1 April 2007, just in time for Spring!

The last time I participated in a weight loss challenge, I DID stick with it, I did lose some weight, but I did NOT make my goal.

This time, no excuses.

Please feel free to join me in this quest. No pressure if you don't post weekly updates. I do ask that if you do participate that on/about 1 Jan, you post age/sex/current weight/weekly change... ie. 37/M/195/+1

Any other recommendations? Anyone interested? Plenty of time to join and make a plan... what is your plan by the way?

Thanks, and good luck!

• kb0122 Rookie 44 posts since
    May 28, 2005
    1. Nov 28, 2006 10:29 PM (in response to turkey2006)
    Re: New Year Weight Challenge 20/20

I am in ..
    37/F/165

• crimsongrl Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 25, 2006
    2. Dec 26, 2007 3:46 AM (in response to turkey2006)

Ohh, I wanna play!  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I've only got 23 pounds left to reach goal, and since I only lose around 3lbs. a month (if I'm lucky), I'm not so sure about 20 lbs. in 20 weeks! I intend to give it my all though!

My plan: I currently exercise 6 days a week and I've been following the South Beach Diet for almost 2 years (down 118 lbs.!!). I strength train 3x's per week, run 3x's per week, do power yoga 3 x's per week, and other forms of cardio to crosstrain. For the challenge I'll just add miles and increase weight when needed. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

I seriously need a treadmill b/c this cold weather running thing is NOT for me! Odds are I won't get one until sometime after Christmas, so I'll either brave the cold or take a break. Once I get my treadmill I plan to train for a 1/2 marathon.

25/F/173.0
    (I want to reach 169 before the challenge begins!) 

ETA: I made it to 169!

25/F/169.0/0

[http://This message has been edited by crimsongrl (edited Dec-31-2006).|http://This message has been edited by crimsongrl (edited Dec-31-2006).]

• ladypink Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 7, 2005
    3. Nov 29, 2006 3:11 AM (in response to turkey2006)

count me in!!!! i am currently on the 10th week of a 12 week challenge at my gym - have lost 7lbs but have remained the same for the last month now - seriously plateaued. however, i've gained muscle and changed my eating habits and would like to continue with this mindset. Jan would be a good time for me as i start uni full time and need the motivation and assistance from this site to keep me on track.

• Bell-Lap Rookie 57 posts since
    Apr 8, 2006
    4. Nov 29, 2006 7:22 AM (in response to turkey2006)

Great! There will probably be others joining over time, and that's cool with me.  You get out of this (support/motivation) what you put into it.

I've always avoided a New Years resolution, in my mind this is beyond that (and won't last the whole year). Speaking of which, I think I miscalculated, 20 weeks ends on 1 May?

Winter running is tough, but I too 'brave it' unless it is stormy, icy, or I'm sick/hurt. There won't be enough of those days (here) to distract from my program.

What is my program? I'm undecided, but will have it locked in by the start date. Generally I run 3-4 days a week (2-3 miles per run), I want to gradually increase this to 4-5 days a week (2-5 miles per run), and increase intensity slightly (15:00 2 miles, to 14:00 2 miles (goal)). Now I do Strength Training (10 exercise circuit, moderate weights (25-30lbs) twice a week, and Stability Ball training (12 exercise circuit) 1x a week, and Sports (soccer, football, ultimate frisbee, swim, etc.) 1x every 2 weeks. I generally plan to increase each of these by 1 session. Diet??? At the moment, I need to simplify what I'm already doing and just concentrate on eating less (goal 2000 calories per week). Currently I'm on a soup kick, but I'm taking it day by day, allowing myself to eat out once a week for lunch, and once a week for dinner. (No transfats, no buffets, no junk food/soda, obviously).

My plan is not locked in stone, and even when we start, I will probably modify it slightly from week to week, but not day by day. My biggest problem is probably the same as most, I try too hard too fast, and struggle to get past my plateau.

I will sincerely try to post at least 1x a week once we start, until then, plan now, and thanks for joining along.

• crimsongrl Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 25, 2006
    5. Nov 29, 2006 12:16 PM (in response to turkey2006)

Taco, are you and Turkey2006 one in the same?

Be careful with the soup, they tend to be high in sodium!

I think 20 weeks would take us to May 14th, which is fine by me! I thought it was kind of funny to finish the challenge on April Fools day! 

• xieta Rookie 42 posts since
    Jan 25, 2005
    7. Dec 1, 2006 11:47 AM (in response to turkey2006)
    I'm in! If I get rid of 20 pounds in 20 weeks I'll be the happies girl on earth... mostly because that'll mean I've reached my dream weight, soooo cool!

My plan is to include lots of veggies in all my meals, turn my snacks into fruit, avoid processed foods as much as possible, and reduce my fat intake. Also I need to drink more water, but I commute 2hours each way, so no toilets for me...

----

• MiniDriver Rookie 259 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 4, 2006 2:08 PM (in response to turkey2006)

quote:

Originally posted by tacobell2006:

(goal 2000 calories per week).

Oh, I get it now!  Not 2000 calories per week, but 2000 calories less than usual per week

You had me scared there for a minute!!

I'm in. And I want to lose 5-7 pounds before January 1 so I won't post my weight yet. 42/F/hopeful.

Plan: run 3-4 times per week, bike or stationary bike on days I don't run.  Hike, snowshoe, etc. on weekends.  Stop snacking, especially on weekends.  No more than one meal out per week and don't eat everything served at restaurants.   Stop putting honey in tea.   Beer in moderation.

• bowie47 Rookie 27 posts since
    Oct 2, 2006
    9. Dec 6, 2006 5:21 PM (in response to turkey2006)

oh can I play too!!

I have never done anything like this before, but it just may help me to actually LOSE the weight I want to instead of just gaining more and more. I swear my body does NOT like to give up anything I have ever given it. It holds on for dear life.

25/F/167

are we just going to keep posting on this same thread or what??

I am just going to keep working out and running, hopefully more and more, and really concentrate on my protion sizes. i think that is what is holding me up, i have already ruled everything else out.

MiniDriver why are you going to rule out your honey in tea? It is SO good for you, natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. are you just using too much? I LOVE honey in tea, really good in coffee too. Oh and it is a natural sugar so your body processes it differently

----

Running….cheaper than therapy and less painful than lipo

• truns Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 12, 2006
    10. Dec 7, 2006 2:41 PM (in response to turkey2006)

I'm in with you guys, I need to loose the 15# I put on since I quit smoking 14 mos ago.

My plan would be to be more consistant with my running schedule, and adding weight training. I eat pretty well, but need to keep a closer eye on portions and snacking.

Maybe we can start a new thread at the beginning of each week.

• bowie47 Rookie 27 posts since
    Oct 2, 2006
    11. Dec 7, 2006 8:12 PM (in response to turkey2006)

That sounds good. 

So we officially start on 1/1/07 huh? Man, by that time my goal may have to be like 25 or 30lbs in 20 weeks!! Yeah holidays.

Honestly I don't think that I have ever gone on a diet or officially "lost weight." i have just kept gaining a bit, realizing stuff doesn't fit the same, eating less/healthy, gain a bit, realize it, etc etc, until i am at the point now where I just keep looking down an thinking "wow this has really gotten out of control." so maybe if i am sucessful at this 20lbs thing, i can stop that whole gain/stop thing and just be a healthy weight/body from now on. You would think that if a person trains for a marathon, does one, and keeps running that maybe this 20lbs would have taken care of itself by now. But it doesn't. I tell ya', it's those portion sizes for me. It has to be, i don't know what else it is.

----

Running….cheaper than therapy and less painful than lipo

• jdevange Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2006
    12. Dec 7, 2006 9:26 PM (in response to turkey2006)

This sounds like something I want to do.  It will really help my weight loss...i hope.

38/F/134

• Bell-Lap Rookie 57 posts since
    Apr 8, 2006
    13. Dec 9, 2006 11:36 AM (in response to turkey2006)

I'm encouraged by so many people expressing an interest.   We are still about 3 weeks out from the start, plenty of time to adopt or develop a strategy that you think will work for you.  I'm currently still 'experimenting' with a 'mostly soup' diet.  I eat cereal or oatmeal (either with fruit) for breakfast (no fat milk, no sugar, butter, etc.).  Then most days I'm eating small 1 cup servings of soup.  I make the soup once a week in a large pot using mostly fresh veggies (salmon, shrimp, whole wheat pasta, eggplant, chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, olives, carrots, broccolli, coliflower, corn, peas, beans, etc.).  I'm calculating the calories per pot, then dividing it over the 1 cup portions (~200 calories per cup).  I'm freezing the portions, and generally eat 4 of these a day.  1-2 days a week I eat lunch out (subway sandwich, salad, smaller portions, etc.) and 1-2 days a week out for dinner.

For exercise I'm so far sticking with my plan posted above.

Sounds like most of you have your own strategy, I encourage you to use this forum to help shore up your motivation and serve as a source of inspiration.

• ernieh109 Rookie 27 posts since
    Dec 9, 2006
    14. Dec 9, 2006 3:50 PM (in response to turkey2006)

Hi all,
    I'll jump in. Started walking September 1st at 290 #. Just completed 4 miles continuous jog last week and will try a 5 mile tomorrow. Jogging 4 to 5 days a week. Currently 275#. Goals are to possibly run 1/2 marathon Pig in Cincy in spring and then either Air Force Marathon or Columbus marathon in fall. Have never gone over 10 miles (15 years and 100 #'s ago). Found this site yesterday and looks great. Just signed on. Looking forward to losing 20 pounds with you all in the spring.

----

Ernie

1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...