Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4013 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2007 12:38 AM by runnerparris RSS
GreenEggsAndHam Expert 312 posts since
Jun 4, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2007 4:07 AM

Metabolism Test!

I recommend getting this done.  I actually have a speedy-fast metabolism... despite years of thinking I have a slow metabolism.  It's awesome to see the actual numbers...

My RMR is actually 1635   which is normal-high for a 5'4 female. 
Probably because of my relatively high amount of lean body mass (115 lb.)

In case anyone was wondering, the person doing my test said he had seen people who came in after eating extremely little (like 800 Cal/day) for an extended period who's metabolism had actually slowed to that point, but also said it speeds back up very quickly (far more quickly then it takes to get down there) with proper eating and resistance training.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm fat if it's not my metabolism, but it is liberating to be free from excuses... and moreover, to know exactly what I should be eating each day.

If you live in GA, I can give you the number to the place I went to... I don't want to just list it in case no one needs it. No need to shill     But if you ask, I'll tell.

[http://This message has been edited by GreenEggsAndHam (edited Jan-29-2007).|http://This message has been edited by GreenEggsAndHam (edited Jan-29-2007).]

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    1. Jan 29, 2007 7:45 AM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)
    Re: Metabolism Test!

Interesting...
    how is this test done? How expensive was it? how long did it take, did you fast before, then eat? just curious....

• mayfield017 Rookie 75 posts since
    Oct 12, 2005
    3. Jan 29, 2007 10:47 AM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

Was this at a gym? Or a doctor? I'm on the other coast, but now I'm curious too. I think I have a pretty high metabolism as well...I'm always horrified when I hear about people eating 1500 calories a day. But when I gained weight it was definitely due to a sedentary lifestyle, portion control and lots and lots of wine....ahhhh, wine....can't really make any excuses about that. Now that I run a great deal, it's hard to eat enough sometimes and it's easy to drop weight when I don't want to. Thanks for the info.

• beachgrrl Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 13, 2007
    4. Feb 13, 2007 2:12 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

I would love it if you could forward the number to me.  My email is beso2000@comcast.net

Any help I can get understanding my body's nutrition requirements is helpful and the 2 dieticians here that I saw in PA were not much help! Your dr. sounds like he gave you some really helpful information that you could actually use!

Thanks!

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    5. Feb 13, 2007 2:15 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

quote:

Originally posted by beachgrrl:

I would love it if you could forward the number to me. My email is beso2000@comcast.net

Any help I can get understanding my body's nutrition requirements is helpful and the 2 dieticians here that I saw in PA were not much help! Your dr. sounds like he gave you some really helpful information that you could actually use!

Thanks!

i recently found two people in PA (Philadelphia and West Chester) who do it if you are interested, email in profile.

• Leggova Rookie 99 posts since
    Jun 24, 2002
    6. Feb 16, 2007 3:02 AM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

Anyone know how this works? How can someone test your metabolism by you breathing?

• Ice Cream Rookie 548 posts since
    Dec 28, 2003
    7. Feb 16, 2007 8:10 AM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

quote:

Originally posted by Leggova:

Anyone know how this works? How can someone test your metabolism by you breathing?

I suspect that she had her VO2 max calculated, from the procedure. They may then have converted it into a metabolism via some math.
    I had VO2 max done in an exercise lab that way.  But then again, the cost was much higher.  It was a research lab where i went.

• Norma Stark Rookie 126 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    8. Dec 26, 2007 4:07 AM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

Mayfield,

I too am in the East Bay. My wife works in a functional Health Clinic that does a type of bio-impedance test that provides guidance on your basal metabolic rate in addition to several other metabolism indicators. She is the nutrition coach for the office. Lookup ChiroKinetics in Walnut Creek and tell Norma that Dave sent you.

Cheers,

Dave

----

A GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A DREAM

[http://This message has been edited by Aikobear (edited Feb-17-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Aikobear (edited Feb-17-2007).]

• mayfield017 Rookie 75 posts since
    Oct 12, 2005
    9. Feb 17, 2007 12:13 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

Dave, thank you so much! I really appreciate the info.

----

me[/URL" target="_blank">

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    10. Feb 17, 2007 1:57 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

quote:

Originally posted by Aikobear:

Mayfield,

I too am in the East Bay. My wife works in a functional Health Clinic that does a type of bio-impedance test that provides guidance on your basal metabolic rate in addition to several other metabolism indicators. She is the nutrition coach for the office. Lookup ChiroKinetics in Walnut Creek and tell Norma that Dave sent you.

Cheers,

Dave

Bioimpedence tests are the least accurate test, because the readings have a lot to do with how much you are hydrated and whether or not you ate that day, from what i understand.

• Norma Stark Rookie 126 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    11. Feb 17, 2007 7:03 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

Marigail,

There are specific protocols you need to follow prior to taking a bio impedance test. If followed, your variance should be within 5% of biological true from what I've been told by the doctor at my wife's shop.

You are correct that such things as hydration levels and not exercising as well as not eating 8 hours prior to the test are important.

It's also WAYYY cheaper than vo2 max testing such as new leaf.

Either way, if you stick with the same method of testing and pre-test protocols, you will see the changes that are happening.

Good Health to all.

Aikobear.

• kjkleeb Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 5, 2006
    12. Feb 17, 2007 7:14 PM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

I have had my max vo2 tested, and the place I went also offers this service. It is cheaper than the max vo2. I am in Pittsburgh and will provide the info about the place I went to if anyone wants it.

• runnerparris Rookie 329 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Feb 18, 2007 12:38 AM (in response to GreenEggsAndHam)

I live in So Cal and had it done at a 24-hour fitness.  No membership required, but it costed 50 bucks.  They use bodygem...I did research before I had it done.  It is quite accurate. My metoblic rate...1250 which is about average.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...