Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

672 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2007 8:43 PM by Graciemygirl
Spanky420 Rookie 69 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2007 3:04 PM

Calories Burned??????

I'm just wondering what the average is on calories burned during a mile.  I hear so many different things and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of anything concrete.  My friend is running 12 minute miles and she is running 2.5 miles a day, and according to her "calorie counter" it is saying 400.  I think that's a little too much.

• Ariann092 Rookie 680 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    1. Feb 22, 2007 3:08 PM (in response to Spanky420)
    Re: Calories Burned??????

I think that's big-time too much. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html[/URL" target="_blank">

This is a really good article that helps explain calories burned walking or running.  According to some other graph I saw (wish I could find it), 12 min. miles running burn about the same number of calories as walking really fast miles, so maybe your friend could use some number between their suggested percents to find a closer approximation.

• Acb8d2044 Rookie 64 posts since
    Sep 22, 2004
    2. Feb 22, 2007 4:40 PM (in response to Spanky420)

Yeah I'd say that's a little high too.. I generally round down even on the estimates that most calculators give.  But for an easy average probably 8-9cal/minute at that pace and 10/min at a 10 min mile pace.   At least those are the numbers I've seen as a general rule and they seem about right from my calorie counting and weight loss.

• AliCat1 Rookie 70 posts since
    Aug 13, 2004
    3. Feb 22, 2007 5:34 PM (in response to Spanky420)

that article was very helpful..but what about an incline?
    when i crosstrain, i walk on a steep incline (without hanging on) and its just as difficult if not more than running...any articles that figure in an incline?

• muzicgrl Amateur 219 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Feb 22, 2007 8:31 PM (in response to Spanky420)

It depends on how heavy you are. Heavier = more calories burned.

However, my GPS estimatedthat I brned a little over 500 cals on my last run (11 min pace, 4.5 miles) so I think 400 is a bit high for 2.5 miles.

• Born to Run060 Amateur 553 posts since
    Jul 1, 2002
    5. Feb 22, 2007 9:53 PM (in response to Spanky420)

quote:

Originally posted by AliCat1:

that article was very helpful..but what about an incline?
    when i crosstrain, i walk on a steep incline (without hanging on) and its just as difficult if not more than running...any articles that figure in an incline?

The article was good.  I've tried to argue this point w/o anything to back it up, so I'm saving the link.  The research on this is minimal.  I would think trail running would burn a lot more calories than flat road running, so would speedwork, etc..  I also think that over-time as you become a fitter more efficient runner that you burn fewer calories. Good research on this topic just isn't out there.

• Patrick091 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 3, 1998
    6. Feb 24, 2007 7:41 PM (in response to Spanky420)

I'm on the metric system and a crude way of estimating the number of calories you have burned is to multiply the weight in kilograms by the running speed in km/hour. This gives you an estimate on the number of calories you burn in an hour.
    For example, I'm 75kgs, on a long run my speed is 10 km/h so I burn 750 kcal/hour, today's long run was 1:20 so I should have burned 1000 kcal. My polar HRM said I burned 940 kcal, based on my heart rate. It shouldn't be far off.

Alternatively, multiply your weight in pounds by your speed in miles/hour and multiply by 0.73.

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    8. Feb 28, 2007 8:43 PM (in response to Spanky420)

It depends on your weight...if she is a heavier runner...she would burn more than a 100 lb runner.

When I started running and was heavier...I could burn 400 cals in 2.5 no problem!

Angie Drew 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...