Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5054 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2008 9:24 AM by saraallent RSS 1 2 Previous Next
SteinDawg Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 16, 2007 4:20 AM

New Running Log on Active

This new log sucks at the moment. So far, in 20 minutes here's my conclusion:

1. Not all of my running has imported. In fact, I have an error message saying there were some "problems."

2. The shoe mileage brought over all the shoes I've ever ran in and logged into CoolRunning, even though I deleted them once they were used.

3. I've lost the total mileage for the two running shoes I'm currently training in.

4. Due to the fact that Active didn't import all of my data, I've lost several logs (many) for this year. I am 70ish miles away from 2000 for the year - thanks a lot Cool Running!

5. There is no place on either Basic or Plus (Active Trainer) to pu the weather you're running in like there was on Cool Running.

Overall, thus far a COMPLETE disappointment!!! Not a happy runner at all.

Although I'm sure it'll be a nice money maker for CR...since you have to upgrade to the "Plus" version of Active Trainer to even get close to what was available for FREE on Cool Running.

Now we know the real reason for the morphing to Activve.com.

John Steiner

John Steiner

• janinsanfran Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 16, 2007 7:28 AM (in response to SteinDawg)
    Re: New Running Log on Active

Hey -- at least you were able to find some trace of your log. Mine seems to be nowhere at all.

• ShanGen Rookie 276 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 16, 2007 8:05 AM (in response to SteinDawg)

where did you find your log? I found that active trainer thing but when i went to free log it looked like i had to create it. Am I just confused?

• jpattee Amateur 30 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 16, 2007 8:16 AM (in response to ShanGen)

This site and the log SUCKS!!!

• ai698 Rookie 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 16, 2007 3:00 PM (in response to SteinDawg)

My thoughts on the buy out.  It was enough $$ for CoolRunning to sell and cheap enough for active to buy it.  Active saw it as a way to get a few hundred (thousands?) of people to buy their $9.95 a month plan.  After all, we're just stupid people who put on funny shoes and go running.  That will be $9.95...

• Karyn Miller-Medzon Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    6. Dec 16, 2007 3:13 PM (in response to SteinDawg)

I couldn't agree more. i'm almost in tears about this since I kept ALL my data in the my coolrunning log.

Examples of things that are REALLY upsetting

1) It doesn't list races as 'races'. It lists them as "easy run" so you can no longer just look at all your "races" and see your progress

2) it didn't import any of my weight data

3) It didn't import any of my shoe data at all

4) It's missing about 30 percent of my runs

5) It lists all my runs as "planned" and not "completed" I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING I'LL MARRY THEM  (okay...that's a bit of an exaggeration...but only slight....)

1) How do you get your shoe log onto your running log??? (In coolrunning it was simply part of your data page)

2) Is there a way to automatically list your workouts as completed? It's so weird that they're listed as "planned"

3) What are you guys doing about data that never arrived?

4) Is there a way to look at data by category...for e.g. on Coolrunning I could look at ALL my long runs and see the times; or I could look at all my 10K races and see the data. It was SO easy to find what you were looking for.

I so wish that I knew this disaster was coming--I would have printed all my data from all these years. I feel SO SO upset about this. It's like all those years of running and being able to instantly access that data, are gone.

Karyn

• runforyourlife123 Amateur 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 16, 2007 4:46 PM (in response to Karyn Miller-Medzon)

I am already happily married....

but you can still go grab your log data from Coolrunning and save it to a spreadsheet....

At least for now, you can still recover your log data by linking directly to the old page like this:

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=dgb2n;s=sticktoit

Substitute my username and public password with yours and then click on the "tools" link to download your file. It comes in as a download.cgi file and then you rename it to whatever.xls

Edit the link above and put your coolrunning username after the "u=" and you should be able to get rid of the part that starts with ";s-"

Download your log data - save it - maybe Active will straigthen this all out and bring back the real coolrunning log - there is no reason they shouldn't be able to.

In the meantime, you will have all of your data to move to another site - there are alot of them out there - and they are all better than the ACTIVE CALENDAR thing on this piece of crap.

• kdombroviak Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 16, 2007 5:45 PM (in response to runforyourlife123)

Yeah, seriously, this is bogus. There were warnings that this was coming, but no explanation of what that meant. I assumed the same log would be hosted on a different site. I had no idea they were going to take 4 days of downtime to completely trash my data. I'm going back to storing it myself. This is seriously disappointing. At any rate, I can't get to my data with the trick in the previous post. Anyone had any success? Any ideas?

Dec 5, 2007
    9. Dec 16, 2007 5:56 PM (in response to kdombroviak)

Hi,

First, THANK YOU for helping get my data back. I used the link and now I have it in an excel file. No, it's not as "usable" in an excel file (i.e. I can't make graphs, or get lists of data for individual distances etc) but at least I didn't lose FIVE YEARS of running data. Whew.

When I used the link that was provided by the poster who does not want to marry me despite my offer (...it's okay...I'm happily married too...so I understand your reluctance) I put in my user name, but did not require a password. Maybe that will help the poster who said she/he couldn't get her/his data back.

Sorry I don't have everyone's name. Even the message boards here are inadequate...once you start posting, you don't see the post you're responding to, so you don't have the user's name in front of you. (Everything about Active really is abysmal)

karyn

• PapaBanucci Rookie 80 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 16, 2007 6:13 PM (in response to Karyn Miller-Medzon)

Even if you didn't share your data, you still can get back into Cool Running and try get your data downloaded.

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=<YourUserName>;p=<YourPassword>

This is your real, private Cool Running password that needs to go in after the p.

Be sure to take out the "&lt;" and "&gt;".

• filkauppi051 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 17, 2007 5:23 AM (in response to PapaBanucci)

I'm in total agreement with all of you.  This new site is horrible.  Hopefully this is only temporary, but I have my doubts.  I've attempted to find my old log with no luck.  It keeps coming back with username/password problems.  Any help?  Has anyone found a similar site to the old Coolrunning?

Phil

Dec 5, 2007
    12. Dec 17, 2007 5:51 AM (in response to filkauppi051)

Hi,

In answer to your questions about other sites--I found a few sites that have decent running logs, but the one I like the best is called runningahead.com. It has a similar log, that allows you to enter your favorite routes and as many pairs of shoes as you want. It will also keep a tally of your total mileage, your PRs etc. It seems pretty good. I signed up yesterday. There's just no way I'm going to use the active.com running log. It requires you to sign in too many times, it's not user friendly, and it doesn't have the features that I've come to depend on.

• HMhopeful Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    13. Dec 17, 2007 5:53 AM (in response to runforyourlife123)

Many thanks for posting that message, atleast now I have my running log that I can save to an Excel file and hopefully find an alternate site that is simple to use for my running log. I really dont care about the  way the  active log works (I see that I have a lot of company in this regard).

• seahag Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    14. Dec 17, 2007 6:10 AM (in response to runforyourlife123)

I tried to link to the cgi file, but all I got was the actual log page for this week.  What am I doing wrong?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...