Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9831 Views 45 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2007 11:03 AM by randymar 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
rundrinkrundrink Rookie 7 posts since
May 8, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2007 5:28 AM

Alcohol

So im trying to lose a bit of weight(but not in a rush to do so). Eating about 1800-2000 calories a day and running for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week aswell as sit-ups on off days.

However when it comes to the weekend i tend to drink alot of beer/lager. Was wondering what alcohol has the least calories in it as i feel it is effecting my weight loss.

• biketm Pro 434 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 18, 2007 9:14 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)
    Re: Alcohol

Can't really answer your question, but when I quite drinking I lost 12 pounds real fast...and I ate a lot more...

• wickedlady Rookie 27 posts since
    Jan 23, 2007
    2. May 18, 2007 10:14 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

try alternating beers with waters... it slows you down a bit at least.  A beer might be more calories than, say, a vodka and soda, but I found for me, I drank those a lot faster so it didn't really cut down on calories at all.

• Diesel88 Rookie 153 posts since
    Sep 1, 2004
    3. May 18, 2007 10:17 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

Michelob, among other brands, have 'light' versions and they taste great.

This however does not change the fact that beer is empty calories which work against your weight loss plans! I am not saying go cold turkey, just cut back say 50%.

• reboot Rookie 398 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. May 18, 2007 11:08 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

Pure alcohol has about the same number of calories as pure fat. Most drinks are not pure alcohos so you must look at the alcohol content to determine the calories from alcohol. As a general rule, any 'standard' drink is approximately like any other in terms of alcohol content. That's why they suggest one drink per hour to keep drunkenness under control. One standard beer, glass of wine or shot of liquor are all about the same in terms of alcohol. Naturally, there are exceptions.

As well as the alcohol, you should also consider the calories in the non-alcohol portion of the drink since that will make a difference. Standard beer (150 cal) is relatively high in these non-alcohol calories - that's why they call it a 'barley sandwich'. Light beers (100 cal) are better. Hard drinks can have a significant number of calories in the 'mix' as can wine coolers. Hard alcohol per ounce is around 65 cal for 80 proof and 75 cal for 100 proof. The 'mix' will typically bring most drinks up to something similar to beer or wine (125 cal per 5 oz glass).

Basically, the least calorie costly drink is hard liquor on the rocks.

----

gotta run...

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    5. May 19, 2007 7:42 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

To answer your real question, try a vodka/diet tonic or soda water.  About 65 calories total if you only put one ounce of vodka in.  As mentioned earlier it also seems to take much longer to drink than a beer.

The problem many people (including me) have is the intense appetite that comes with drinking alcohol. A couple drinks and I'm adding another meal on to the day, with food that I would never consider eating before the beer! I've found that any real attempt at weight loss has to exclude alcohol almost completely. Good luck!

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Pain is temporary. Regret hurts forever."
    http://www.hrmarathontraining.blogspot.com/

• UncleFred065 Rookie 139 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    6. May 19, 2007 12:43 PM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

quote:

Originally posted by Diesel88:

Michelob, among other brands, have 'light' versions and they taste great.

Compared to water, maybe, but compared to beer, not really.

• wickedlady Rookie 27 posts since
    Jan 23, 2007
    7. May 20, 2007 10:08 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

quote:

Originally posted by aharmer:

To answer your real question, try a vodka/diet tonic or soda water. About 65 calories total if you only put one ounce of vodka in. As mentioned earlier it also seems to take much longer to drink than a beer.

\actually what  I sais that it takes me a lot LESS time to drink a vodka tonic, but maybe that's just me.

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    8. May 20, 2007 9:02 PM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

quote:

Originally posted by wickedlady:

actually what I sais that it takes me a lot LESS time to drink a vodka tonic, but maybe that's just me.

LOL, that's funny wickedlady!  This calls for an experiment!

• csickels Rookie 100 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    9. May 21, 2007 3:43 PM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

believe it or not, guinness is a very light beer.  fewer carbs and calories than even miller lite, which for a domestic watered down beer, is the lowest. 

i also like to drink beer, but i stopped drinking entirely for a whole week, maintained my other calorie intake, maintained my exercise level, and broke through a plateau i had been fighting for two months. granted, i went from 188 to 184-185, which isn't a lot, but it was enlightening to see the impact.

look at it this way, even miller lite has 100 or so calories per 12 oz.  so if you, like me, drink 5-6 easily at a time, that's an extra 600 or more calories each time you drink.  that makes a huge difference in weight loss.

• TrailBitten Rookie 170 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. May 21, 2007 4:18 PM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

I like light beer myself but even that, as others have said, packs on the weight. I'm cutting WAY back.I've recently been trying all kinds of beer, and can certainly see the difference in my body.
    Alcohol metabolizes to a form of sugar carb. Regular drinking will interfere with your metabolism. There is no way to have it both ways, sad to say.

• Bell-Lap Rookie 57 posts since
    Apr 8, 2006
    11. May 22, 2007 3:55 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

good thread on this topic.   I recommend you count the beers as part of your calorie consumption for the day.  Count a 12oz light beer as 100 calories, reg beer as 150, etc.  I agree gin/tonic or vodka/tonic are probably the lower calorie choices, but if you are a die hard beer guy...  

A typical 'pint' of good beer (not light) is roughly 200 calories.  So if you are consuming 1800-2000 a day total intake, you'd be better off eating light all day, oh, and save some room/calories for some post beer consumption.  I like soups with bread, replaces the liquids and the bread spreads around the alcohol.   Always drink at least as much water as beer, during or after, naturally.

• MnD Rookie 123 posts since
    Jan 21, 2005
    12. May 22, 2007 11:29 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

1.5 ounces of rum, 12 ounce can of diet coke, lots of ice in a 20 ounce thermal mug with a cover to promote sipping versus swigging.

Less than 100 calories each. When I was dieting I would get a 250 ml bottle of rum per week which using this recipe yields 6 big long-lasting drinks per weekend for very little calories compared to beer or mixed drinks with sugar based mixers.

• Steff32078 Rookie 26 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    13. May 22, 2007 11:59 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

I just recently cut out alcohol. I love my vino and have a 2-4 glass per day habit.  Pretty bad, I know.  Anyhow,  I thought I would cut it out and see what happens.  I do feel better and have been sleeping better, that's for sure.  I am just experimenting and eventually I will add the wine back in but only on the weekends and special occasions.

I weighed myself this morning and I was down a pound. I only weigh once a week, so I am not sure if this is just a daily fluctuation or a permanent weight loss.

I would like to drop a few pounds I have put on since I quit smoking 2 years ago. I contribute the weight gain to my increased wine consumption. It's like I replaced one bad habit with another. They are just vanity pounds, but I would rather have gained them from my food consumption, not the alcohol!

Anyways, I eat very well and always have. I am fortunate to have a palate for healthy, clean food. At the very least I figured cutting back will enable me to eat more yummy foods!

Wish me luck (it's been almost a week !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!)!

• Magnus076 Rookie 5 posts since
    May 4, 2007
    14. May 24, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to rundrinkrundrink)

quote:

Originally posted by iceman14:

i also like to drink beer, but i stopped drinking entirely for a whole week, maintained my other calorie intake, maintained my exercise level, and broke through a plateau i had been fighting for two months. granted, i went from 188 to 184-185, which isn't a lot, but it was enlightening to see the impact.

I’m going to try a week without beer to see if I can break my plateau of low 190’s and get into the 180’s.  Normally during any given weekend of warm weather I consume around 20-30 beers.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...