Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

620 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2007 9:32 AM by Brianalexanderhill
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2007 3:29 PM

Out of Shape Encouragement

Looking for a boost from other runners. I used to run 25 - 35 miles a week up until about two years ago. I went through a messy divorce and other family tragedies, and although running is the last thing I should have let go of, I have become inconsistent at best. 15 miles a week is a major achievement at this point!

I am psyched out, I think because I no longer "feel like a runner". I think I need a bit of encouragement that I can get my running mojo back. Anyone else been through similar?

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 24, 2007 4:02 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Out of Shape Encouragement

Get off your butt, slacker.

----

Surf's up space monkeys! I'm making gravy without the lumps!

• BrettBH Rookie 40 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 24, 2007 4:09 PM (in response to Guest )

I can understand where you’re coming from, just not in running. I used to ski 110 days a year and was pretty decent. Then 2 kids, 4 moves, and 12 years later I find myself in Iowa.

Last time up to the slopes I was totally frustrated because my performance sucked. My wife finally slapped my noggin and asked what I was moaning about. The same feelings that attracted me to skiing were still there. The sense of freedom, speed, and exhilaration were all there. The thing that was bringing me down was a very unreal expectation of performance.

BANG!! I started having fun again. Sounds like you’re in somewhat the same boat, so…. SLAP upside your noggin. It’s hard to run (or ski) looking backwards at what you were if you concentrate at LOOKING forward and start that journey by reminding yourself what it was about running that attracted you in the first place!!

Go getter done!!

• RunnersHigh Amateur 259 posts since
    Nov 24, 2006
    3. Jul 24, 2007 4:18 PM (in response to Guest )

Zippy, I don't know about you but I need a goal!  I don't run just because I like the act of pounding the pavement like some others here.  I like to see myself improve, whether it be to lose weight, improve my time at a certain distance or just to compete against someone that I know I'm competetive with.  Sure, I like to run with some friends at times and schmooze (spelling?) but we all go through periods where, either because of personal problems or injuries, that we take a step back in performance.  It's easy to get it back if you set realistic and attainable goals...good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!

• Nolls Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 24, 2007
    4. Jul 24, 2007 7:20 PM (in response to Guest )

pick a goal or event you wan to run or do. Train for it even if its far out in the future. Visualize what you want and GO GET IT!!!!

----

"If men were angels we wouldn't need government"

• sully702 Amateur 124 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jul 25, 2007 9:24 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with Nolls.  Pick an event as a goal and train for it. 

I started running again last fall. I used to be able to do a 6:30 mile and I was struggling to run a 1/2 mile. I picked a 5k race to run as my motivation. I needed a goal or I m sure I would have just given up running altogether. Even now I don't think I could run just for the hell of it so I usually run a couple of races a month just to keep my goal. I ve now completed 10 races since March.

Running for me is especially good to fight off the blues because it is something positive to focus on every day.

Good luck!  You can do it!

• JimR022 Rookie 984 posts since
    Jan 16, 2002
    6. Jul 25, 2007 10:26 PM (in response to Guest )

go run

• justasiam84 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2007
    7. Jul 26, 2007 10:55 AM (in response to Guest )

I'm actually in a very similar situation.  I used to run 8 miles per day five days per week and then started nursing school.  I spent all of my time studying and very little time running.  I officially started running again yesterday and was only able to run 2 miles.  However, I'm thinking this is my new starting point.  It will take me awhile to get back to where I was but I will take baby steps.  We don't want to push ourselves too hard or we could get injured.  Setting goals for how much I am going to run motivates me.  Maybe it can help you too.  Good luck and take care.

• creb Rookie 18 posts since
    Apr 20, 2007
    8. Jul 26, 2007 11:07 AM (in response to Guest )

pick a race.  train.  race.  repeat.

• Road Hawk Expert 47 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    9. Jul 26, 2007 12:13 PM (in response to Guest )

I am in the same boat different reasons. for me it has been 3 years from a consistent 50 mile a week pace. There have been various attempts to get back in the game.

I have picked the Myrtle Beach Marathon. It is on my daughter's birthday (22nd). I promised a long time agp to run her first marathon with her. I actively discouraged her from running one while in High School. About as big a motivator as I can find.

I now have an 18 week training schedule set and am currently building a base designed to make that possible. I reregistered for this site and am committed to posting my runs in boomers and beyond as a sort of accountability measure.

But as many others have said it all comes to getting out and doing it.

• showalih007 Rookie 12 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    10. Jul 26, 2007 11:49 PM (in response to Guest )

Back in the beginning of December, I was running about 15 miles a week. This week, I'm shooting for 40. Believe me when I say you can get your mileage back. Just make sure you do it gradually. Set a plan, schedule your workouts and stick to it. Even if you can only consistently do 10-12 miles a week right now, do it. Then, every two or three weeks, add two miles to your  weekly total. Don't care how quickly or slowly you run them as long as you finish them. Keep on doing that, don't psych yourself out, and your mileage will be back to where it once was by the end of the year.

----

"Men come tamely home at night only from the next field or street, where their household echoes haunt, and their life pines because it breathes its own breath over again; their shadows morning and evening reach farther than their daily steps. We should come home from far, from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day, with new experience and character."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Full of bloggy goodness[/URL" target="_blank">

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Brianalexanderhill Rookie 36 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Jul 27, 2007 9:32 AM (in response to Guest )

I had an injury that slowed me down quite a bit, then a new job that almost stopped me from running completely!  When I first started getting back into it, I was pretty unhappy.  I had that same mentality BrettBH had--I was expecting to run like I used to! 

Once I stopped worrying about performance and started enjoying it, well, I'm up to about 50mpw and loving every run.

Don't worry about feeling like a runner. Once your shoes hit the ground you're running. Enjoy it and take your time easing back in with some nice runs. Two hours of enjoyable running goes by much faster than even 20 minutes of "must... go... faster... legs... tired..." running

I'll start that type of running again in a few months :-p

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...