Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

524 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2007 3:14 PM by corland14
Chunkylover214 Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 3, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 3, 2007 12:32 PM

beta blocker before or after I run in the morning?

When should I take my beta blocker? If I take it before my run, I have a great run. But I wonder if since it artificially lowers my HR I'm not challenging my heart and making it any stronger.
Appreciate your input.

• ShanGen Rookie 276 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

my suggestion is talk to your doctor.

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Run so much that you don't need to take it anymore...like me.
    ( I'm not gloating but proud that i did)

My doctor recommended that I take it once a day, period. I found that I was more relaxed when I took it before my run in the morning but performed better when I didn't take it until after my run.

You must choose wisely

[http://This message has been edited by joecarolod (edited Aug-03-2007).|http://This message has been edited by joecarolod (edited Aug-03-2007).]

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• slowgino Rookie 88 posts since
    Jan 13, 2007

quote:

Originally posted by Chunkylover214:

When should I take my beta blocker? If I take it before my run, I have a great run. But I wonder if since it artificially lowers my HR I'm not challenging my heart and making it any stronger.
    Appreciate your input.

Talk to your physician about alternatives to a beta blocker for your medication. As you probably know, beta blockers lower cardiac output and are not recommended for those engaged in active sports where endurance/performance are required.

One example would be to use an ACE inhibitor instead of a beta blocker, if that is appropriate for your condition.

Now, in answer to your question about when you take it...
    First, does it really make any difference if you take it "just before" your run, as opposed to some other time of day?

Secondly, you might be interested in a research study I volunteered for 20 or so years ago. The study investigated whether people taking a beta blocker got the same "training effect" from exercise as those who were taking a placebo. IOW, will taking a beta blocker lower the training effect on your body due to your exercise? This was a double-blind study, where none of us participants knew what we were taking, none of us had been exercising previously, none of the staff knew what we were taking, etc. We exercised on exercise "bike" (i.e. pedaling) units 4 times a week for a specific time. We were evaluated at the start and end of the study with treadmill tests, body fat % (dunk test), etc. At the end we took a treadmill test (with mask for CO2, O2, etc) while still on the medication/placebo. Then another test 3 or 4 days after we had stopped taking our pills.

The end result?
    Even while taking the beta blocker, people exercising got about the same training effect improvement. I.e. after stopping the medication, they showed the same performance improvements that the people on the placebo had. It turns out that I was one of the participants on the beta blocker, and I remember the difference between my last two performance tests. When taken off the pills, my heart, etc, showed the same improvement I would have expected on the placebo.

Your heart will still get the benefit of exercise, but your performance will be limited as long as you are on the beta blocker (as opposed to ther drugs, e.g. ACE inhibitors.)

• lynnde Rookie 10 posts since
    Apr 24, 2007

I would ask your doctor.  I work for a cardiologist and do stress tests.  Some people's blood pressure gets so high during exercise that they burn out and have to stop earlier than they normally should.  So he sometimes prescribes beta blockers to keep the really high BP to happen and their endurance improves. 

That would be the specific reason to take them before exercise.  But BB's are prescribed for different reasons.

• corland14 Rookie 117 posts since
    Feb 7, 2006

In May of this year I switched from a Beta Blocker to an ACE Inhibitor.  I take it for hypertension.  I'm still in the process of tweaking the dosage.  My current BP is still a bit high, averaging 140/85.

I was, and still am heart rate training. The beta blocker was throwing my training zones off. My doctor agreed that an ACE inhibitor was a good alternative.

Some changes I noticed after switching:
    resting HR ~40 up to ~50
    avg HR for 5k race 183 up to 194
    training pace at HR of 140: 8 min miles up to 9:30 on treadmill
    I also have experienced some pretty significant improvement in races, but that could be a result of proper training.

I always take my med before my run. I noticed that the beta blocker would lower my HR during my training run if I got it into my system an hour before my run. Thus, it allowed me to train faster (that turned out to be counterproductive).

The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor about it. Make sure he knows you're running and what your goals are.

good luck, I've run for several years now, I'm training for my second marathon, body fat is in the single digits, and I eat a proper diet. I still have'nt been able to what joecarolod is suggesting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...