Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20912 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 5:43 AM by OlderpersonyoungHeart RSS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Harper028 Rookie 188 posts since
Jan 20, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2007 11:18 AM

Running shorts... immodest?

At a family get-together a week ago two nieces of mine mentioned (not to me) that my short running shorts made them uncomfortable. I'm not really sure how to react to this. I often wear my short shorts all the time, not just running, b/c they are really comfortable. Yes, you can kind of see high up on my legs when I'm sitting down, but it's not like I'm wearing a Speedo. (They are RaceReady shorts).

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Aug 6, 2007 11:41 AM (in response to Harper028)
    Re: Running shorts... immodest?

I could see why your nieces would be ooged out by seeing you in running shorts in a non-running scenario.  Sorry.

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• lakerunr Amateur 151 posts since
    Dec 12, 2007
    2. Aug 6, 2007 11:41 AM (in response to Harper028)

Those are all I wear for hot-weather running, but running is one thing, sitting around in a social setting is another. I don't even feel comfortable walking to my mailbox in them, because I might "offend" someone else's sensibility. But when your're out running most people seem to understand that you've got a reason to wear them.

For social activities I'll wear jean or khaki shorts, but cut above the knee. I hate the ones below knee length.

Just my $0.02....

• 4boysmom Rookie 1,018 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Aug 6, 2007 11:42 AM (in response to Harper028)

I was just thinking the same thing...  I'm leaving for a sorta-camping trip tomorrow.  The hosts are ultra-conservative.  My shorts do pass the 'fingertip test'.  But, I've posted my marathon photo and they commented on my 'Daisy Duke' shorts.

My summer wardrobe is down to 'running stuff' and 'running stuff that didn't work for running but is still really comfortable'.  Guess I'll stick with the longer shorts for just hanging around.  But for running, I'm sticking with what's comfortable!

• DFMAR50 Rookie 86 posts since
    Sep 30, 2005
    4. Aug 6, 2007 11:49 AM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by Harper:

At a family get-together a week ago two nieces of mine mentioned (not to me) that my short running shorts made them uncomfortable. I'm not really sure how to react to this.(They are RaceReady shorts).

I'm not sure how old your nieces are or how much of the world they have seen, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  From the way you describe them, it sounds like your shorts are perfectly decent.

• Diesel88 Rookie 153 posts since
    Sep 1, 2004
    5. Aug 6, 2007 11:50 AM (in response to Harper028)

How embarassing! Not much you can say a week later in regards to how your 'short-shorts' made them feel.  

There are shorts intended to be worn only while running, just as much as there are shorts you would never run in (like those cargo-style ones).

In a family gathering, I would have likely left the RaceReadys at home and worn a comfortable longer, casual short. I personally would be a bit self-conscious in short-shorts!

• ShanGen Rookie 276 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 6, 2007 12:33 PM (in response to Harper028)

No offense meant by this... I'm assuming you are male and as a 24 year old female i would be totally skeeved out... especially since it was not a running event. I guess 1 issue is that men generally do not sit with their legs closed and so it make it quite possible that there are some crotch shots...

• wing zero Rookie 79 posts since
    Jan 30, 2007
    7. Aug 6, 2007 1:11 PM (in response to Harper028)

I wish it where more acceptable to wear skimpy running shorts. Maybe not at social events but during running itself.!!!
    Maybe it is just me (26y Male) but 1 out of every 5 runs that I do around town, someone driving by yells out, "fag" or "queer" ect... And here I was thinking that I looked cool in my running shorts and singlet.
    What is up with this? Why do ppl think runners are gay? All soccer, football, basketball players run.
    Is it just because I am young and my streamline runner's body threatens other males?
    Does this happen to you older guys? I would like for it to end one day!

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    8. Aug 6, 2007 1:19 PM (in response to Harper028)

I'm covered in tatoos and muscular. Nobody calls me a fag.

• Who Dey010 Rookie 170 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Aug 6, 2007 1:22 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by Harper:

... but it's not like I'm wearing a Speedo. (They are RaceReady shorts).

Okay ... at the next family get-together

do

wear a Speedo.

I guarantee they'll be happy to see you in your RaceReady's at the following get-together.

• upmigrl82 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    10. Aug 6, 2007 1:42 PM (in response to Harper028)

I remember last year my 60 some year old great uncle wore a pair of lime green speedos with white socks and shoes (he isn't a runner or a swimmer) while at a campground my family was staying at... I was creeped out and the image is burned into my mind forever. As for your situation as long as nothing was hanging out or they couldn't see anythign I wouldn't lose sleep over it. These days girls are running around in mini skirts and shorts with their butts hanging out. I am sure your shorts were more appropriate than that!

• Who Dey010 Rookie 170 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Aug 6, 2007 1:44 PM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by upmigrl82:

... I was creeped out and the image is burned into my mind forever.

LOL

• OnlyWhnChasd038 Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Aug 6, 2007 1:53 PM (in response to Harper028)

I have no problem with male runners in short shorts while they are running. In fact, I think it's weird when male runners wear long shorts while they are running. But when you're not running? Um, no. Definately not to a family gathering. And this is coming for someone who is not exactly known for an excess of modesty.

• biketm Pro 434 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Dec 26, 2007 5:21 AM (in response to Harper028)

quote:

Originally posted by wing zero:

I wish it where more acceptable to wear skimpy running shorts. Maybe not at social events but during running itself.!!!
    Maybe it is just me (26y Male) but 1 out of every 5 runs that I do around town, someone driving by yells out, "fag" or "queer" ect... And here I was thinking that I looked cool in my running shorts and singlet.
    What is up with this? Why do ppl think runners are gay? All soccer, football, basketball players run.
    Is it just because I am young and my streamline runner's body threatens other males?
    Does this happen to you older guys? I would like for it to end one day!

Could not have said it better...I get called those names all the time running because I am a skinny 48 year old runner, wearing short running shorts. I have just learned to ignore people I guess. Heck, I think I look great.....so who cares about others! But I guess we do care, or we wouldn't be talking about now, huh?

Tim

[http://This message has been edited by biketm (edited Aug-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by biketm (edited Aug-06-2007).]

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Aug 6, 2007 2:37 PM (in response to Harper028)

I think I see the problem.

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...