Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9494 Views 71 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2008 5:51 PM by Iontach Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • gebuh Rookie 85 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 24, 2007 10:07 PM (in response to pigeye)
    Re: Can someone not accept evolution

There is very little as narrow as the eurocentric "scientific method".  The "ancients" didn't believe the universe revolved around earth- europeans did.  Aztecs, Arabs, Africans,  Chinese, all had active and reasonably accurate fields of astronomy,  without the benefit of the scientific method.  There are many examples of the narrow mindedness of western scientists,  all espousers of the "scientific method".

Evolution makes sense to me- but it's called evolutionary THEORY for a reason.  Doubting the mental facilities of those who don't think like you or believe what you believe sounds sorta hypocritical to me.

• Maureen61 Rookie 90 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Dec 25, 2007 12:37 AM (in response to pigeye)

Oh, for Heaven's sake...........we are all evolving, all the time!!  Of course species have evolved!!  That doesn't mean we all came from slime!!  Where did those very first cells come from??   Sheeeeeeeeeesh, I have no clue, but I am guessing it was a higher power than me. Nuff said......Merry Chistmas, all!!

• Ileneforward Expert 120 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    32. Dec 25, 2007 8:36 AM (in response to Maureen61)

Ah but atoms became molecules and molecules became protein strings and protein strands became viruses and etc etc.  Ah but the first quark, that was set spinning by the word of God.    (and the word sounded like a big bang!)

One can have knowledge and understanding of the scientific method and be highly educated, but never aapplied it to the evidence of evolution.  One could have been pursuing other avenues of knowledge and taken someone else's word that the evidence is flawed.  They could be therefore smart and educated but just very lazy. 

Hi pigeye!

• Picadilly Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 13, 2007
    33. Dec 25, 2007 10:55 PM (in response to gebuh)

Brilliant answer!

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    34. Dec 26, 2007 6:05 AM (in response to gebuh)

<< There are many examples of the narrow mindedness of western scientists, all espousers of the "scientific method".

If one is talking about many centuries ago, the influence of the western "church" completely muddied the water on who believed what.

<<< Evolution makes sense to me- but it's called evolutionary THEORY for a reason.

It's called a "Theory" mostly because the subject is still so new that its label hasn't changed in them minds of those that don't think deeply about it. ( "thinking" without the influence of a "faith" that is)

<<< Doubting the mental facilities of those who don't think like you or believe what you believe sounds sorta hypocritical to me.

Tossing out the "hypocritical" card here is like when a person does something wrong and then cries "personal" attack in an attempt to shoot the messenger with a form of emotional blackmail. If there was only one person responsible for what went wrong, of course it's personal.

The subject of this thread is whether some group of people is actually using logic, unimpeded by an emotional hang up, to assess the truth or probability of a truth. The subject "IS" about how people think or "don't think"

Therefore emotional blackmail of criticizing the writer for  "those that don't think like you" being hypocritical is itself a crappy logic because what you would deny the writer is the subject of thread. The logic you use actually helps make the case for the writer. I suppose you could take comfort in that there is a compliement of sorts buried in what I just said.

Actually, I see this thread as a metaphor of the most the logic used in postings in CH where agendas rule.

• KyBear Rookie 13 posts since
    Dec 11, 2007
    35. Dec 27, 2007 2:07 AM (in response to pigeye)

Evolution is an unproven presumption (much like what people say about God's existance).  Want proof?  The entire basis on which it works is debated; heavily.  See Gould vs Dawkins.

If the entire basis is debated, how can it be certain.  It's not, it is presumed at the beginning of logic, not as a conclusion, and that mainly from materialists who don't want to believe in God and explain everything that has been created without a creator, or some variant of that.   Evolutionists aren't any different from theologeons who start their thinking with God existing, they just start with He doesn't, and most of the people in this chat who do believe aren't much different than those churchgoers who believe their pastor just because he says so, you just believe the "scientists" who begin their thinking with materialism (or variant)

Someone said that noone can be educated and not understand the scientific method.  I agree with that statement (for westerners), but their point proves they aren't highly educated.  The scientific method and evolution don't have anything to do with one another.  Does a time machine exist to test repeatibility?  What a joke.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,455 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Dec 27, 2007 7:22 AM (in response to KyBear)

How can anyone seriously think that evolution has not been proven?

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Dec 27, 2007 10:32 AM (in response to bigapplepie)
    bigapplepie wrote:

How can anyone seriously think that evolution has not been proven?

Well....they don't call it THE THEORY of evolution for nothing!:)

• kommish777 Rookie 23 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Dec 27, 2007 11:10 AM (in response to bigapplepie)

bigapplepie wrote:

How can anyone seriously think that evolution has not been proven?Not everyone is blinded by science.

• I can use Google too Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Dec 27, 2007 12:58 PM (in response to pigeye)

Evolution is an original novel written by John Peel and based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. features the Fourth Doctor and Sarah.

Like all Doctor Who spin-off media, its canonicity in relation to the television series is open to interpretation.

Dec 11, 2007
    40. Dec 27, 2007 5:45 PM (in response to bigapplepie)

Ummm....b/c a proof doesn't exist.  Show me some kind of proof, and I'll show you an argument with a materialistic presupposition that already supposes it's true.

For a theory to be proven, don't the individual mechanisms have to be tried tested and proven?  And in the case of evolution, the mechanisms are still being debated!!  Evolution is assumed to be true, then the details of how it works are to be ironed out later, which is getting harder to do as the factions of "scientists" (I put in quotes because they are not using hte scientific method and are just guessing really) split further apart on how it works. (due to conflicting evidence)

How can anyone seriously make a rhetorical statement with no meat.  Do you have any?

Dec 11, 2007
    42. Dec 28, 2007 11:32 PM (in response to pigeye)

I'm not going to spend much more time on this.  I remember why I stopped debating this on-line.  You can't get indoctrinated people to use logic and admit what they know to be true and where the are speculating.  They are just too committed to their religion.  

Pigeye: What do you mean "mechanisms are still being debated?"

As I said in my first post, see Gould vs. Dawkins.  More hard evidence, like fossils point to (at least when joined with a materialistic presupposition), and many believe in punctuated equilibrium, which is the theory that evolution occurs in "explosions", or in other words no change for long periods, then one day something occurs in the environment and life transforms quickly, at least in evolutionary terms.  This is in contrast to the more recognized "change over time" theory, which makes more sense to the biologist (again with the presupposition thing!), but doesn't match the hard data.  The two theories are not compatible.  That is why Dawkins and others were so nasty to Gould, b/c it undermined them, but overall it points to what I was saying before.  The evidence from different areas of science of what we do actually know to be true in the past is contradictory, at least in terms of creating a "unified" theory of evolution, but the theory rages on, not because of a scientific proof has been made, but because of the commitment to it.  If evolution has been proven, wouldn't this debate be solved?  The fossil evidence has a similar problem, see below.

PIgeye: And in what way are biologists "just guessing"?

Who limited this to biology by the way? I would call someone who uses a systematic, proven method, like the scientific method someone doing real scientific work, biologist or not.  Trying to piece together what happened in the past with extremely limited evidence is someone just guessing.  Watch the next time a new fossil is discovered what happens to the evolutionary model.  Some species that was once thought to precede so-and-so, now isn't and this new found species is the real ancestor.  Don't you see something wrong with this philosophically?  How long before some other bone shard is found that contradicts this new evidence and the model changes again?  The model isn't deemed true because of the evidence, the evidence is arranged with the assumption the theory is true.

PIgeye: Isn't the fact that there are now strains resistant to penicillin 'proof' of evolution? Where is the materialistic presupposition?

I kept my post simple by calling macro-evolution evolution.  No this isn't proof of a new species with new tools, limbs, flagellum, what have you.  This is a change with in a species.  Go back and listen to Behe again.

I'll make one more point, a little different than evolution, then move on.  How can you explain the first cell?  Scientists can't put together the most optimum conditions to make a protein develop from it's ingredients, they've tried.  Couple this on top of the fact that a protein in open environment dissolves quickly.  You are telling me that proteins RANDOMLY formed in the environment to create amino acids that RANDOMLY formed walls and the other cell "organs" and NOT ONLY THAT!, actually encoded within itself a reproductive sequence that splits itself in 2, along with every cell "organ", and does this without subjecting itself to the outside environment enough that it doesn't die!  This did not happen!  ask a computer programmer.

Dec 11, 2007
    43. Dec 28, 2007 11:38 PM (in response to KyBear)

Sorry, one more point I wish I would have added.

You can go ask a computer programmer you know, I get to talk to the programmer direct and you can too if you ask.

• Ray Andrews Rookie 226 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    44. Dec 29, 2007 1:43 PM (in response to pigeye)
    pigeye wrote:

and still be considered intelligent and/or educated?

I started wondering about this last night as I listened to an interveiw

with Michael Behe on Point of Inquiry.

I wonder because I know people who are very sceptical of evolution (or other well

proven, generally accepted scientifc idea(s)) and I notice that makes it very

difficult for me to take them seriously, even on other topics upon which they

are demonstrably expert.

Ah yes, ye olde Litmus Test. A priori.

Just like the Democrats in Congress who say they'll vote against confirming any Supreme Court nominee who thinks Roe v. Wade ought to be overturned.

There's another word for that, y'know: Prejudice. Pre (beforehand) + judice (to judge).

"He who answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him." (Proverbs 18:13)

Now I'm not accusing you of doing that, Dr. Eye; but you seem to be admitting as much when you say it's hard for you to take someone seriouslyeven if, by your own admission, they're an expert in some field or otheronce they fail your litmus test on the theory of evolution.

Kinda reminds me of how ufologists often aren't taken seriously because they fail the widely-held litmus test that says anyone who believes there are extraterrestrials is cuckoo. But then--oho! someone right in this-here thread got through sayin' that if it could be demontrated that life exists elsewhere in the universe they might accept that as disproving the theory of evolution.

Well, good gravy-waltz! Is that all it would take?

Bring it on! WAR OF THE LITMUS TESTS!!!!

(P.S. - Sadly, we Bible-thumpers tend to have our litmus tests, too. And we ought not do that. Now I'm not saying the issues we use as litmust tests to form our judgments are not important; I'm just sayin', things are never that cut-and-dried. As Kybear suggested, new knowledge has a way of re-calibrating the scales of what is considered accepted truth.)

Or something like that. Ask me tomorrow; I just got through eating sauerkraut.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...