Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4307 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2008 6:25 PM by hittingstride RSS
mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 17, 2007 9:27 AM

Roll Call

Ok, who's here? How was everybody's week?

I finished up around 30 miles, maybe a few miles shy of that. Early in the week the weather was nasty. On Friday and Saturday I did 9.5 and 10 miles respectively. Friday's run I did faster than normal as my legs were well rested from not much running earlier in the week. Made Saturday's 10 miler really tough, was basically done at 7 miles or so. Didn't walk the rest for two reasons - 1. My training partner and 2. Walking home with wet clothes in 20 degree weather sucks butt.

So far I haven't seen a single "This new place rocks!" thread and I'm not thinking I'm gonna be first. Is anyone thinking about migrating elsewhere? Kickrunners is asking about specific training groups and would they like to get their own discussion rooms.

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum//showthread.php?t=17015

What are your thoughts?

• cgerber Pro 195 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 17, 2007 11:25 AM (in response to mrinertia)
    Re: Roll Call

I'm here.  Can't say I'm too impressed with what they've done.  Active.com tends to screw up a lot of the stuff they touch... they completely butchered the Pikes Peak Ascent/Marathon registrations in 2007.

No running for me last week.  All the tests came out good though, so I'm cleared to run after this cold virus clears up.  May do an easy 3-4 tonight to see how it goes.

- Chris

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 17, 2007 4:36 PM (in response to cgerber)

Alright... I must be more pathetic of a person than I thought... as a Clydesdale I was so proud of this week that I almost emailed you both individually.

Mon 3 mile walk

Tue 6.5 lowland trails at night Awesome RUn!!!!!!

Wed 5.5 same trails

Thur 4 mile

Sun 13 Miles WOOO HOOOO new long run for me!!!!!

Active Sucks but if guys want to meet up here once a week I will show up to report.... However Kick runners is where I have been hanging out.

Chris I was happy to hear you got a clean bill of health....

got my Road I.D. in the mail today to make my wife feel better about me leaving and running at night and on trails...

Why in the F @  is thing double spacing?

I would like to see this forum on the Kick site

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 17, 2007 4:39 PM (in response to RichardC040)

Mrinertia.. I went to that link and sent a PM to him about getting a clydesdale and athena forum

• RCL043 Pro 180 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 17, 2007 4:54 PM (in response to mrinertia)

I think I managed to navigate this system to the point where I can at least post a reply. It wasn't easy; I'm still a little dazed and confused. According to my profile, I last posted something in 1969. It seemed like only a week ago.

Let's see, last week went as follows:

Mon. weights + treadmill

Tues. 4

Wed.  3 1/4

Thur.  4

Fri.  3.5

Sat. 7.5 +weights

Sun. 5.25

• mike55760 Expert 144 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 17, 2007 6:18 PM (in response to RCL043)

I am here. Just barely. I clicked on "login to reply", it took me to the log in page, then it didn't bring me back. It took another 10 minutes to find my way back. And I am not too thrilled about the new running log. So far I can't figure out how to get a year to date total on my mileage in digital form (ie:1045.5 miles), all I got so far is a bar graph that doesn't have any numbers on it. And the first time I enter the data it puts it in as a planned run, and I have to go edit it to make it a completed run.

So, happy camper I am not. If things don't shape up I will be finding a better running log. Maybe format my own spreadsheet. And my running week runs from monday to sunday, not sunday to saturday, which is the active default and may be permanent.

Well, anyway, back to mileage

Monday - 3 miles decent

Tuesday - off

Wednesday - off

Thursday - 3 easy

Friday - 3 easy

Saturday - 4 decent

Sunday - 4 decent

total 17 miles

With the new log being a cluster**** I am not sure what my year to date total is. I am about 35 miles away from a new PR for total mileage in a year. I did download my coolrunning log data just before the transition. I will be checking out other online running logs to see how well they handle the import of data. The active log seemed to handle the import ok, it is just that the format and functions suck. Good luck, everybody

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 18, 2007 2:33 PM (in response to mrinertia)

Thanks, did my first run in 15 days at lunch... a very slow and painful 6.1 miles.  It was nice to be back outside though!

If anyone is looking for a good online log, I've had really good luck with:

http://www.running-journal.com/

You can form groups/teams too, which is pretty cool.  Our local group of trail running friends formed a group and we can keep track of our mileages.  An added benefit for people in the same geographi location is that you can 'share' routes with the group.  If 10 of you ran the same route, the first guy to log his miles gets stuck with adding the route, then everyone else just gets to grab it from a pull-down menu and it populates the distance, etc.  The site also allows you to export your logs to your home computer, which is great.... in case it ever goes belly up (or worse yet... Active buys them!).

I could set up a CR/Kickrunners/whatever athena/clydesdale group if interested, just let me know...

- Chris

PS: This double-spacing stuff is really irritating! 

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    8. Dec 20, 2007 6:05 AM (in response to mrinertia)

I'm still hanging around...... I've checked out kick.... but now it seems like we've overloaded that site and now it's down quite often.  The good thing is that I'm very busy with work and the holidays so I don't feel the need as much for my online running discussion fix.

I do miss the running log (still haven't figured out where it is) but I have been getting in my 35 mpw.   I did save my CR log, so after the holidays I may have to  learn Excel to set it up to give me all the info I like to have.

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 20, 2007 5:01 PM (in response to SLOjim)

Alright guys...this is from Satfix at Kickrunners... we got ourselves a forum there... or should I say Sub forum... it is in the Runningclubs area.. look below the main forum and you will see "The shoe busters"

Passing this on from Satfix: (the guy who runs the Kickrunners)  Read

> Below

> and pass this around thanks

>

> Registration is open now. If you have members registering now, this is

> what

> they can do to expedite their activation.

>

> Register as normal then email sierra (sierra@kickrunners.com) and tell her

> they're a new "Shoe Busters" member. This way, she'll activate them faster

> without going through the 'verification' process.

>

>

> Thanks and go 'sell your forum' - Don't forget to have them put your user

> name as the 'referrer' when they register.

>

>

> Best,

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 21, 2007 8:07 AM (in response to mrinertia)

Yeah, I switched over to Kickrunners yesterday.  My username there is the same, cgerber.

See you guys on the flip-side!

- Chris

• RunMommaRun Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 24, 2005
    12. Dec 31, 2007 5:36 PM (in response to cgerber)

Hi, all.  I'm here to check things out myself.  I'm so darn glad the holidays are over and I can get back to my schedule!!

• hittingstride Rookie 22 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jan 1, 2008 6:25 PM (in response to mrinertia)

Hello:  Is it possible to join this group?  I am not sure what the strict definition of a Clydesdale is but I am 5'11, 220.  Two years ago I weighed 270 and started sensible eating and running.  I have completed two Half-Marathons and I am currently trying to average 30-35 miles per week.

I am not sure about the format of Active.com.  I am willing to go wherever a group chooses to go.

Thanks for the info.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...