Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

852 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2007 8:22 PM by easytarget061 RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 30, 2007 4:31 PM

Which HRM do you recommend?

I have been running for the past two months and have been using a borrowed heart rate monitor. My mile time has improved from 12:40 to 8:40 and I have lost 34 pounds. Even though Im 40 and still overweight at 6-0, 250 lbs, I really enjoy running now. Does anyone have any recommendations for a heart rate monitor because there are so many. I am not really concerned about price but I don't want to be an idiot and pay for a bunch of features that I will never use. Features in a monitor I would like are the ability to keep track of pace on a track or on the road as well as the ability to calculate avg. HR.

Thanks

• obadiahmethias Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 2, 2007 9:10 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Which HRM do you recommend?

The new Runner's World talks about some features of some HRMs out on the market today.

Might be worth looking at.

I had a Polar and use a Garmin 305 now. I love it.

Namaste,

Obi M

• lgreenberg98 Amateur 143 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    2. Dec 2, 2007 9:25 AM (in response to Guest )

In a word - Polar.

If you're going to be running have a look at one of the ones which also tracks speed and distance.

-rs800sd
    -rs400sd
    -rs200sd
    -625x

I've tried many of them and for pure features Polar wins. I currently own the rs800sd. You can choose either a GPS module or a footpod (or both) to track speed/distance and the HRM strap is the most comfortable out of all of them - it's all soft.

www.heartratemonitorsusa.com[/URL" target="_blank"> has a great selection for all brands and good pricing.

----

LL Cool Racer[/URL" target="_blank">

• VictorN Rookie 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 2, 2007 1:51 PM (in response to Guest )

If you are looking for a pure HRM, then get a Polar.  If you also want to track distance and pace, then nothing beats the Garmin Forerunner 305.  I have both a Polar S625X and a Forerunner 305.  I never use the S625X.

Victor

----

www.competitiverunner.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 2, 2007 2:50 PM (in response to Guest )

I have used a bunch of different gagets ovet the years. My favorite is the Garmin 305by far the best. Does it all. HR/GPS etc.<br /><br />Oh, a word of caution. Please take your time. If you are serious about being a lifetime runner you need not be in such a hurry. You are still carrying a lot of weight. Slow down go furthernot faster. Patience is a virtue and is the main foundation of lifetime runners. Flash in the pan types appear quickly and disappear even quicker. That has been my observations over the last 3+ decades of running. Nick

• lgreenberg98 Amateur 143 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    5. Dec 2, 2007 4:08 PM (in response to Guest )

The Garmin is great - I own one too.

But the 625x is outdated. The rs800 and rs400 give the Garmin a run for it's money. The rs series is a watch that can be worn all the time. The Garmin is not.

For me the rs800 allows me to track HRM and speed/distance both inside and outside via GPS or footpod and can be worn all the time as my primary watch.

----

LL Cool Racer[/URL" target="_blank">

• AKTrail Rookie 360 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 4, 2007 2:10 AM (in response to Guest )

I have a Polar S625sx which is what I use unless its batteries are getting replaced. I got a FR305 to use in the interim, and it seldom gets used, other than maybe for total distance occasionally. Since I do a lot of hill work, I like to get a reasonable estimate of the amt climb on a run. The 625 with its barometric altimeter does that. The FR305 is waaaaay off - like indicating 500 ft of climb on a flat route. The FR also tends to lose lap data unless I download after each run - at least mine does in SportsTracks.

More importantly for hr data, the Polar software provides a much better summary of the data. And I've never found a way of getting the FR data into there.

What I'll typically use on long runs where I want reliable data is my Polar hrm, then stick my Garmin handheld GSPmap 60CSx in my pack to log miles, stopped time, and a 2nd estimate of elevation change (barometric altimeter tied in with gps).

But a lot depends on what you want to do and how you train. It sounds like you might be more interested in a gps unit if you're primarily interested in pace and only calculating avg hr.

• hurryinhoosier Rookie 62 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    9. Dec 4, 2007 9:48 AM (in response to Guest )

Garmin 305

--

<br />
    <br /><a href="http://www.google.com/<br />calen<br />dar/embed?<br />src=19pm8rm113i5orum6ol4q<br />gc54k%40group.calendar.goo<br />gle.com&pvttk=b0c183766cc<br />9912cbca897f434e1ec1c <br />" target="_blank">My Race <br />Calendar[/URL" target="_blank"><br />

<br /><A HREF="http://www.coolrunning.<br />com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?<br />u=hurryinhoosier;s=share" TARGET=_blank>My <br />Log</A><br />
    --

Find a Race

• daijoubu Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 4, 2007 10:12 AM (in response to Guest )

It's interesting that I see lots of Garmin and Polar users here.  What about Suunto? 

----

Rob[/URL" target="_blank">

• easytarget061 Rookie 13 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 9, 2007 8:22 PM (in response to Guest )

suunto is too expensive for what you get, software that comes with it is inferior to the polar, as is the garmin

if you actually want an HRM to train with, polar is the choice

if you're into this for gadgetry, get the garmin

if you want to look cool for people at work and act like you train and have the money to blow, get a suunto

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...