Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1268 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2007 9:12 PM by Cashmason
jahona Rookie 12 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2007 5:39 AM

Running in the dark

What do you guys do so you can see (or be seen) when running on dark winter mornings and early evenings?  On my bike I can just mount some lights, but can't do so easily on yourself.  Does anybody wear one of those lights you wear on your head - like for hiking or spelunking?

• tithers Rookie 1,259 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    1. Dec 26, 2007 5:41 AM (in response to jahona)
    Re: Running in the dark

At night I only stay in my hood...lighted. I wear a Nathan reflective vest.

My friends that do venture out wear a headlamp.

I know one lady that has a nike visor with lights in the rim.

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 26, 2007 5:45 AM (in response to jahona)

I don't, because it impacts your ability to see in the dark.

but I do get lit up light a Xmas tree. I have a bike red light on my amphipod pack (my butt basically) and 2 reflective strips with 6 little flashing lights each for my legs. I asked Santa for 2 more, for my arms, but I wasn't good enough. Also my jacket has 2 big strips on it which are reflective.

so i am less concerned about ME seeing and more concerned about OTHERS seeing me. I have decent vision at night. DW, however, would never go outside without a spotlight as her night vision isn't so good. So it's a toss up.

• jkaiser20 Rookie 73 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    3. Dec 26, 2007 6:04 AM (in response to jahona)

The only time I run in the light is on weekends, and then not always. I wear nothing special. I hate it when people wear / carry lights when they are running towards me. It blinds me. I spent a lot of time hiking and running in the woods in the dark in the Army and during hunting trips, so my baseline is a little skewed.

I don't think you need lights. If you are worried about being seen (a legit concern) buy a small blinky red light. I saw someone last week with a strap around their lower leg that was full of flashing LEDs.

Jim

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 26, 2007 7:36 AM (in response to jahona)

I wear a Petzl Tikka on my head and attach a red blinkie light to the back of the strap.  Plus a reflective vest.

• pcsronbo006 Legend 1,323 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 26, 2007 8:13 AM (in response to jkaiser20)
    jkaiser20 wrote:

I don't think you need lights. If you are worried about being seen (a legit concern) buy a small blinky red light. I saw someone last week with a strap around their lower leg that was full of flashing LEDs.

Stop spying on me Jim!

• jkaiser20 Rookie 73 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    6. Dec 26, 2007 8:44 AM (in response to pcsronbo006)

1. I thought those were a great thing, with the 360 degrees of flashing

2. There is a guy I sometimes see at the pool who I swear is your double Ronbo. First time I saw him I ran home to check the board to see if you made a trip to Germany announcement.

• stitcher05 Rookie 43 posts since
    Dec 13, 2007
    7. Dec 26, 2007 1:44 PM (in response to jahona)

I use a belt from uflash.com......and a friend uses two arm bands that she connected together that she got from zbattery.com. 

They're nice sites....uflash also has light up dog leashes and collars if you need to light up your tri-doggie.

I tend to stay in my neighborhood areas, because they have lights (to assist with more solid footing), but I still don't trust the cars not to squish me.

Stitch

• LeftRightRepeat Pro 1,452 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    8. Dec 26, 2007 2:16 PM (in response to jahona)

I don't ride a bike in the dark. Feels too dangerous to me. We frequently run in the dark. Usually, at least one out of the group remembers the reflective vest. None of us use headlights or flashlights. Once your eyes adjust, it's pretty amazing how well you can see in very little light. Running on an even surface, like a road, is pretty doable. We always run on the left, go to single file when a vehicle approaches, and assume that the driver does NOT see us - moving way left on the shoulder and being ready to jump for the ditch if required.

• mbannon Rookie 1,542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 26, 2007 2:23 PM (in response to LeftRightRepeat)

The thing I don't like about reflective gear is that it's passive.  It only shows up when a light is pointing directly at it.  That doesn't solve the problem of cars hitting you at cross-streets or sharp corners.  Also doesn't do much against cyclists or drivers who are too stupid to turn their lights on.  Hence, I wear actual lights, not to see but to be seen by all.

Now if we're talking biking, that's different.  In that case you need at least one good strong light to see where you're going, plus a couple others to make you more visible.

• Cashmason Pro 449 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    10. Dec 26, 2007 9:12 PM (in response to jahona)

I wear a Tikka Petzl, more to be seen than to see.    I wear it just above the bill of my running hat, and it gives a weird biforcal type effect. Half my vision has bright light,  the lower half has  a dimmer light.  I keep thinking I am wearing bifocals, even though I don't normally wear glasses, and then only for reading.  Have never owned bifocals.  Yes I have tried all the settings,  bright spotlight,  general light lower intensity,  they all give the bifocal effect,  some just brighter than others.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...