Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13059 Views 204 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2008 6:15 AM by B.Allyn RSS Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next
  • soxfan04240 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Aug 3, 2007 1:05 PM (in response to boothy52)
    Re: Maine Runners

This will be my first B2B as well and also picked up my packet yesterday.  Felt for the volunteers and the expo vendors holed up inside that sauna of a gym. Really hope it cools down some or my goal time will be out the window.

Good luck to all, enjoy the experience and most of all, have fun!

• windwarrior Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    151. Aug 3, 2007 3:33 PM (in response to boothy52)

Hi Boothy,
    I've run local 10ks - the Beach2Beacon will be the only one this summer. I'll be happy to place under an hour.

The end of the course looks like a "treat" - many thanks for the good running vibes.

• kbunker1 Amateur 57 posts since
    Jun 6, 2003
    152. Aug 3, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to boothy52)

Good luck tomorrow from me too everyone. This will be my fourth.  I am aiming for sub 49:00 and to beat my oldest son.

With the thunderstorms predicted tonight I'm hoping for a little cooler weather tomorrow.

Heading out to get my packet now, see you early tomorrow,

Chris

• cporunner Rookie 60 posts since
    Jul 25, 2006
    154. Aug 4, 2007 3:56 PM (in response to boothy52)

Just wanted to drop a quick note to all...

Congratulations to all the B2B runners. I thought it was a gorgeous morning and a perfect day for a run. I was scrambling to make it to the start on time and arrived at 7:55. Fortunately, the race didn't start until 8:10, but I was in the back corrals for the start which was a bummer. I think I was in between the 9:00 mi/pace and the 10:00 mi/pace signs. I think I lost about 1:30 because of the late start and the slow jog at the beginning. I finally broke out at about mile 1.

I decided not to wear my GPS watch and just race a good race. It must have helped as my finishing "Net time" was 43:18 -- a new PR by 45 seconds.

Bob, I guess you were right about the 2 minute drop from LL Bean 10K. I think I would have finished in 42:00 if I had been closer to the front. I looked around for ya at the finishing area, but couldn't spot ya. Of course, I wasn't sure what colors you were sporting this morning.

I thoroughly enjoyed the race this morning and everyone was super friendly. A very well organized event and finishing area. My hats off to all the volunteers and race organizer.

Well, i guess I'm training for the next race now -- I can't wait.

Again, congratulations to all you B2B finishers.

Lonnie

----

[My Training Log[/URL" target="_blank">
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    triathlete1969@yahoo.comemail | http://triathlete1969.motionbased.com]

• windwarrior Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    155. Aug 4, 2007 9:42 PM (in response to boothy52)

The Beach2Beacon was a good, good race.  Well organized and awesome volunteers.  Even though there were 5600 participants I didn't feel like a sardine.

Congrats to all the runners.

8:00 am Saturday, 38/271, 51:26 net

• Gallowalker In Maine Rookie 70 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    156. Aug 5, 2007 7:50 PM (in response to boothy52)

I just completed Beach to Beacon for the first time.  I can't figure out if there were 5500 people registered why did not more people finish then when there are 5000 registered?

• denger2 Amateur 84 posts since
    May 11, 2005
    157. Aug 6, 2007 7:59 PM (in response to boothy52)

Hello Gallowalker,

Besides the folks who just didn't finish, for whatever reason, there are many who don't start. I think it's sad that many people register and don't show up leaving others who wanted to run out of the race.

The B2B was a great race. The humidity was a higher than what we experience in Maine, but we all had to deal with it.

Brian

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    159. Dec 26, 2007 11:53 AM (in response to boothy52)

quote:

Originally posted by denger2:

Hello Gallowalker,

Besides the folks who just didn't finish, for whatever reason, there are many who don't start. I think it's sad that many people register and don't show up leaving others who wanted to run out of the race.
    Brian

It's not sad, high no-show rates come with the territory for either sell out races or many distance races. Normally in the 15 to 30 percent range.

Why are the no-show numbers so high. There are many logical reasons.

The longer the distance the more runners "think" about running in an injured state so are more prone to skip longer races.

Runners normally register early for sell out or distance races, so they don't get locked out or in order to force themselves into a training schedule.

But that works against showing up.

Runners run the risk of a schedule conflict because they didn't know son "Johnny" would have that special art show at school until it was too late. Or works says you have to travel NOW.

Runners over estimate whether they will be up to the distance of a longer race. IE. They just don't get their training in gear.

A ton of runners are injured at any point in time.

Some find they signed up for race A but now many of their friends want to run race B.

Then there is the "tail" chasing thing Re: Maine Runners

In the case of single runners, they often find that they want to do something else with that new boy or girl friend. Hormones RULE.

I register early for the 25-30 races I do a year and I miss 2 or 3. It comes with the territory.

[http://This message has been edited by NHSenior (edited Aug-07-2007).|http://This message has been edited by NHSenior (edited Aug-07-2007).]

• denger2 Amateur 84 posts since
    May 11, 2005
    160. Aug 8, 2007 5:41 PM (in response to boothy52)

quote:

Originally posted by NHSenior:

It's not sad, high no-show rates come with the territory for either sell out races or many distance races. Normally in the 15 to 30 percent range.

Why are the no-show numbers so high. There are many logical reasons.

While the reasons you stated indicate why people don't show, it doesn't change my opinion that it is sad that others are unable to participate in this race.  I realize it's not a perfect world, yet this race is considered a big event for many runners. Registration closed very early and many people were unable to secure a spot.  Several hundred not participating seems high to me.

Brian

Jul 25, 2006
    161. Dec 26, 2007 11:53 AM (in response to boothy52)

Hey all you Mainers...Just returned from a fabulous trip to Hawaii -- Awesome, though I could only motivate myself for two runs out of the 7 days I was there.  Beautiful place, but this cool weather here in Maine in midsummer can't be beat.

I squeaked in a 6.6 miler yesterday and 3.1 Today to get back on my marathon training schedule. November 4 is fast approaching and I have some serious running to do.

Also, I bought a new pair of running shoes I hope to have thoroughly broke in by November. I loved my 2006 Nike Air Pegasus so much I bought a pair of 2007s. This year's model has the Nike+ pocket so I am more tempted than ever to get the iPOD Nano (just for fun or course).

Well, just wanted to get back into the thick of the Maine running community. Hope all is well with y'all. Haven't heard much from ya Bob as of late -- Is all well?

Anyhow, see ya on the roads.

Lonnie

----

email | http://triathlete1969.motionbased.com]

[http://This message has been edited by cporunner (edited Aug-15-2007).|http://This message has been edited by cporunner (edited Aug-15-2007).]

Jul 25, 2006
    162. Aug 17, 2007 5:12 PM (in response to boothy52)

6.3 miles Today after a lazy, no mileage day yesterday.  Planning on 18 or so tomorrow morning.  It is suppose to be just gorgeous in Maine this weekend.

Anyhow, just keeping the posts flowing...........

----

Jul 25, 2006
    163. Aug 20, 2007 7:46 PM (in response to boothy52)

Took the weekend off to visit with friends...I miss that long run though.  6.6 miles Today to keep my heart pumping.

----

• mainerunnah Legend 897 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    164. Aug 22, 2007 2:34 PM (in response to boothy52)

Hey everyone I’m back from an extended absence…vacation and work related. My running has been going pretty good. I know that I owe three race reports, but just haven't had the time to get them done, short version is as follows:
    07/29/07 - York Days 5K - 20:33 (6:37) 1/10 AG 19/166 OA . This was the race I experimented with taping the face of my Garmin…didn’t go too well although I won my division I pretty much ran this race alone after the first half mile and just didn’t realize how slow I was going…hey it was wicked hot and humid too! Needless to say I won’t tape it again.

08/04/07 - Beach to Beacon 10K - 41:03 (6:37) 13/277 AG 301/4839 OA. This was to be my goal shoot for sub 40 10K…race morning I realized it wasn’t going to happen with temps pretty warm and humidity at 94% so I just figured I would give it everything I had. I still ended up with a pretty good PR so I wasn’t too disappointed.

08/18/07 - Breakaway 5K - 19:25 (6:15) 3/17 AG 49/355 OA. With this race I came in having had a pretty rough recovery week after the Beach to Beacon followed by a much better week leading up to the race but still wasn’t super confident that I would race well. A guy that has consistently beaten me by 15-20 seconds in 5Ks showed up and I was determined to keep him in my sights. Well I did and he ended up out racing me at the end by 10 seconds, but he pushed or should I say pulled me to a substantial 5K PR by 18 seconds…I won my division here last year with a 19:50 and took third this year but couldn’t have been any happier.

Now I have to try and catch up with the various posts, if that is possible. And I’m headed to Burlington, VT this weekend for the oldest grand daughter’s birthday…damn I thought things would slow down a bit but we just seem to be getting busier and busier as grandchild number 8 is on the way!

Training is going well for the NY marathon with my longest run having been 18 miles so toss that training into the mix and there just isn’t a lot of time left…and family comes first.

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Keep on Running"
    Bob

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...