Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3964 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 4:13 PM by Damien Howell RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jan 23, 2007 11:44 AM (in response to moosh79)
    Re: foam roller/IT band

While my IT pain was at its highest, I didn't run. I ran a 10 mile race in April '06 that flared it up big time. I then went to PT/Chiro treatment for about 2 months after that and in those 2 mos I probably only got in a total of 20 miles. I could run a mile or two w/o pain and I did that occassionally during that 2 month period to keep some kind of aerobic conditioning.    Then around June, I would gradually start adding a little bit to my runs, but even then my monthly mileage was only around 20 miles - not much at all.  I had had the IT pain flare up so often prior to that that I could always feel those beginning twinges of IT pain and would stop. Again in August at a 7 mile race, it flared up at mile 4 so I took it to a run/walk for the remaining 3 miles. All throughout the summer, I continued to work on my pt exercises, using the foam roller and I did eventually switch brands of shoes in October and ran in them during the portland marathon 5 miler that I did (first run of 5 miles w/o pain and I PR'd)  So, it really did take months of low mileage running and diligence with exercise to overcome this. I'll never fool myself into believing I've beat it because I know too much running or increasing my mileage too quickly can always bring it back. I also consistently work on increasing the strength in my hip adductor/abductor muscles and just overall leg muscle balancing and flexibility. It really does all play a significant role in injury prevention or rehabilitation. 

So, now that I feel I have my IT problems under control, now I'm experiencing the beginning signs of PF. if it's not one thing it's another. . . . .

----

Tamalina[/URL" target="_blank">

• jellie Amateur 81 posts since
    Aug 3, 2006
    16. Jan 23, 2007 12:16 PM (in response to moosh79)

Thank you once again Tammy,Tamster,Tamalina. (A women of many faces.. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!)

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    17. Jan 23, 2007 12:44 PM (in response to moosh79)

lol Jellie - yes, I change my signature around a bit. I'm a regular poster with the boomers and I get a few nicknames over there - so I use them freqeuntly, since that is where I'm normally posting. I only venture out to other boards occassionally.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

----

Tamalina[/URL" target="_blank">

• LisaB021 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2007
    18. Jan 24, 2007 7:59 PM (in response to moosh79)

Can any of you point me to some instructions on how to use the roller on my ITB?  I just recently got a roller and tried it once and was very surprised when it hurt so much.  So, I'm glad to hear that this is somewhat normal.  But, I'd like to know exactly how to use the darn thing.  Do you kinda crab walk your elbows on the floor to roll you leg across it?  I've tried Google to find instructions but those still pictures don't do much for me!

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jan 24, 2007 10:08 PM (in response to moosh79)

Lisa - if you got Adobe Acrobat reader on your computer, this will give you a good primer on how to do foam roller exercises, including the ITB-specific one

http://www.youcanbefit.com/ROLLER.pdf[/URL" target="_blank">

• XCrunner2340 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    20. Apr 3, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to moosh79)

i injured my itb/base hamstring about two months ago as well during a relay meet during indoor track, after the injury the indoor season was over i took a month off of sprinting but i continued to run anywhere from 1-6 miles at a time with no pain at all then on the 1st day of outdoor track over amonth later on my first sprint i was in dyer pain and couldent walk after three weeks im still limited on sprinting and i dont know what to do today i baught a foam roller and it hurts like crazy, i need relief fast how long should this take for a 100% heal? i have also been stretching alot, anyone reply please.

• Damien Howell Legend 307 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    21. Apr 4, 2011 4:44 AM (in response to XCrunner2340)

XCrunner2340 "stop stretching a lot" it has not been working.  Take a look at Should You Stretch it Out, IT band syndrome: Controversy Regarding Stretching Exercise, and Are you a half ***? Stretch Weakness Contributing to Knee Pain.    Look to strengthening exercises for the gluteal muscles as a possible solution.  Look towards shortening your stride length as a possible solution.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

• XCrunner2340 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 3, 2011
    22. Apr 4, 2011 2:30 PM (in response to Damien Howell)

thank you, i just got out of practice and my itb is back to 100% but now its allll in my base hamstrings/ glutes just on the right leg and i dont know what to do, i cant get a full stride or anywhere near my fulll speed.....please help, Thank you

• Damien Howell Legend 307 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    23. Apr 4, 2011 4:13 PM (in response to XCrunner2340)

Conciously shorten your stride increase your cadence and turn over.  There are two strategies to runner faster, take a longer stride or turn it over quicker (faster cadence).  Taking a longer stride signficantly increases risk of injury. Running with too long a stride increases risk of heel pain, shin pain, knee pain, and hamstring strain.  I evaluate and treat a lot of injured runners, and I do not see injured runners who can be accused of havin "too short a stride length".  Strive to shorten your stride length and work with your coach to increase cadence or turn over. Do a browser search "optimal cadence for running".  

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...