Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

93283 Views 564 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 10:31 AM by firstcampgirl RSS 1 2 3 ... 38 Previous Next
IRS090 Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 3, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2007 1:21 PM

Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

So, I've made it almost all the way through the Couch to 5K program twice now and I've had to quit one time due to laziness (I love the holidays! Or the weight-gaining time as I like to call it) and the second time due to my foot condition. I've been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma and my podiatrist injected the neuroma and that made things better for a while (I also got pads and inserts for my shoes). However, since early January I have been trying to run again and my left foot is KILLING ME. I'm even starting to have trouble walking longer distances.

Is surgery my only option here? I really would love to find another way out of this.

And the big question - will the Neuroma go away if I treat it properly or will it always exist until I have surgery (which I do not want)?

• SteffeySue Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 14, 2007 2:41 PM (in response to IRS090)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

My husband has one.  His doctor (a podiatrist) didn't want to do surgery because his doctor said it can make it worse as often as it helps.  The doctor didn't offer much encouragement.  It had become so painful for him that he had trouble even standing for more than a few minutes, and shopping was a misery, much less any serious hiking.  So, I talked him into trying my running shoe store.  We had his shoes properly fitted with orthotics at the running store.  All of his shoes that he wears on a daily basis were replaced in order to provide more room for the ball of his foot and toes.  This was only two pair of shoes to start with, but it included steel toed boots for work.  Next, I got him some RxCrocs, to wear around the house.  No more bare feet.  After 3 months, his neuroma has really loosened up and he doesn't have the pain very often.    And he is back to hunting and fishing and hiking!   Although, I am sorry he can shop, again!

• All Deliberate Speed Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Feb 14, 2007 4:49 PM (in response to IRS090)

I know the pain.  I had neuromas in both feet.

I had surgery back in 2001 on one foot. Thre is no problem with that foot now except for a minor loss of feeling in two toes.

For the other foot, in 2003-2004, I went to a different podiatrist. I wanted to explore options other than surgery. The new Dr. recommended a series of injections with an alcohol based solution. I had five or six injections. It cleared up the problem. That foot is now pain free and there is no loss of feeling in the toes.

I would recommend that you talk to your podiatrist.  If the Dr. thinks that surgery is the only option, you might want to talk to another podiatrist about treatment other than surgery. Although surgery will remain an available option.

• HappyFeet008 Rookie 8 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    4. May 2, 2007 11:02 PM (in response to IRS090)

I had two alcohol injections done today.  I can't remember the exact solution percentages but my doctor said they are virtually risk free and after having several rounds could provide complete relief.  I go back in two weeks to see where we go from here.  I am having a bit of pain in my foot tonight (more than usual) that I hope is gone by tomorrow!

I would love to hear from others who have experience with alcohol injections.

• gertie4 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 19, 2002
    5. May 3, 2007 12:08 PM (in response to IRS090)

I had alcohol injections for a neuroma 2 years ago.  The pain subsided almost completely after 2 injections, and after 4 injections I was literally pain free.  This was after having foot pain for several months, 2 cortisone shots, PT, orthotics, and taking lots of time off running.  I wish I had done the injections earlier. 

I've been pain free ever since.

May 2, 2007
    6. May 17, 2007 9:07 PM (in response to IRS090)

I'm back again after my second round of injections!  The pain since my first injection has been about the same, which my doctor said is normal.  He said it really takes at least three rounds before you see any relief.  I am looking forward to round three in two weeks!

Last time I had a HUGE bruise on the top of my foot the next day but this time you can hardly see the spots where the needle went in. The doctor said he may have hit a vein last time. I had a good deal of pain that evening also but this go round I haven't really had much, maybe just some tenderness. So far so good!

From what research I have done this procedure is called sclerosis of the nerve and the alcohol solution is 4%.  It destroys the contents of the peripheral nerve.  There's more to it than that but I'm not able to translate into everyday terms...plus I don't really understand how it works!  I just hope it does!!

• fargogirl Rookie 11 posts since
    May 19, 2007
    7. May 21, 2007 8:38 PM (in response to IRS090)

I am struggling with Morton's too, it makes me SO FRUSTRATED!  I am waiting for my custom orthotics to come in, and got a cortisone shot last week.  I think the cortisone is helping a bit, too soon to tell for sure.  If those two things don't work I'm going to go the alcohol injection route too.  Those of you that have had those injections- did insurance cover them?

• motherof4 Rookie 36 posts since
    Nov 15, 2006
    8. May 22, 2007 3:28 PM (in response to IRS090)

I know all of you are trying to avoid surgery, but if it does come to that.....I say don't be afaird.  It was well worth it for me and I wish I did it sooner. 

I went to aorthopedist who only does feet and ankels and he did and great job. I was running, skiing, tennis, spinning...everything in 6-8 weeks.

My only advice is to make sure you get this resolved quickly as I ended up with a stress fracture from over compensating with my other leg.

I ran with the neuroma for 6 months and pushed through pain. My pain would start at mile 2 and continue to where my foot went numb after 14 miles, this allowed my to continue my marathon training.

I wish I hadn't waited so long after I realized the cortizone shots didn't work.

Good Luck!

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 23, 2007 5:31 AM (in response to IRS090)

Can I ask what type of regular shoes do you wear throughout the day with a neuroma?  I have been suffering (not completely sure this is what I have.)  I have been wearing flat sandals, and it seems to feel better when my shoes are completely flat.  If I wear a heel, my toe swells.

• cat4917 Rookie 89 posts since
    Dec 31, 2004
    10. May 24, 2007 5:02 PM (in response to IRS090)

Wide in the forefoot - or with some give in the sides like woven sandals - and flat or with a slight heel, are best for me.  Wear what is comfortable.  Sometimes too much cushion doesn't feel very good.

May 2, 2007
    11. May 28, 2007 9:04 PM (in response to IRS090)

I've been wearing comfy flip flops or either wide tennis shoes when I have to wear shoes.  Sometimes my tennis shoes do seem to aggrivate the pain. 

mlarson1283...yes, my insurance does cover the alcohol injections. I have Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I go tomorrow for my third alcohol injection and am very excited to start seeing some results. The pain has already begun to slightly decrease.

I have a question...where do you feel the pain from your neuroma?  My doctor was surprised that I am feeling most of the pain right on the top of my foot, across the widest part.  I think he expects it to be on the bottom.  When he manipulates my foot I do get an uncomfortable feeling underneath my toes but the pain is definitely on the TOP of my foot.  Anyone else?

• fargogirl Rookie 11 posts since
    May 19, 2007
    12. May 30, 2007 9:21 AM (in response to IRS090)

My pain is a burning tingling that begins under my toes when I am walking or jogging, sometimes it gets bad enough I have to stop immediately & take off my shoe to rub it.  I do have pain on the top when it is pushed in a certain way.

For shoes around the house, you can't beat birkenstocks, they are practically like orthotics.

• tymom Rookie 13 posts since
    Oct 8, 2006
    13. May 30, 2007 4:08 PM (in response to IRS090)

SO GLAD to see this thread!  I am certain I have the same thing.  I have not been to a doc yet however.  Just the great google.

Funny thing however, I can barely feel mine when running even though I am sure that that is what brought it on.  My shoes are great... its the rest of the shoes I need to change!

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. May 31, 2007 5:49 PM (in response to IRS090)

I had the pod appt today.  I do have a neuroma, plus the beginnings of a bunion on the big toe.  He shot it with a combo of cortisone and alcohol.  I saw stars, it hurt so much.  Now I go to PT for a month, with another injection in about 2 weeks.  No running until everything is healed and wear only sneakers also.  Ugh! 

Does anyone know if it okay to bike with a neuroma?

1 2 3 ... 38 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...