Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

96861 Views 564 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 10:31 AM by firstcampgirl RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 38 Previous Next
  • HappyFeet008 Rookie 8 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 31, 2007 8:29 PM (in response to IRS090)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma ARGH!

Shelley, I would say yes but if your doctor said no running then probably not.  My doctor told me no restrictions on any activity.  You might want to give your doc a call.  Also, I'm surprised your shots hurt so much.  Did they not numb your foot first? 

I think I'm having alcohol injection SUCCESS!!!  After my third shot on Tuesday I hit the treadmill today and for the first time in months I had no pain.  That was such a welcome relief.  I'm still having some pain when I turn my foot certain ways when walking but not on the treadmill!  : )

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Jun 3, 2007 9:55 AM (in response to IRS090)

Happy-They did use lidocaine, but since it was injected right into the nerve, it hurt that much.  He says the next one shouldn't be so painful.  BTW, I shouldn't have biked today.  I took a face first fall and now have a gash on my nose and everything hurts except my foot!!  PT tomorrow, so I will ask if the biking is okay.

• TedAndresen Amateur 247 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Jun 4, 2007 12:58 AM (in response to IRS090)

I guess I have been lucky.  I have been able to control my Morton’s Neuroma by doing the following:

I avoid walking on hard surfaces with my bare feet. I always wear slippers or soft in-house shoes.

I cut a 1” hole in the insole of my shoe just under the end of the metatarsal where the neuroma is located so the neuroma is unsupported.

I started the laces on my shoes at the third eyelet up from the bottom so that the toe-box is very loose.

I also shopped for shoes that had netting around the sides of the toe box with no leather so that the toe box was basically open.

Hope this helps,

Ted

• ruggermel Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2002
    18. Jun 10, 2007 12:09 AM (in response to IRS090)

So I've had this for about 6 years and just learning what is it is since I've now hit the 2-mile mark where the numbness and pain start versus the 6-mile I could comfortably count on previously.
    I did just visit the pod dr. who suggests cort shots, fine.
    But my real question is are there any open-toed running shoes out there that would be an option as well? Does anyone know?
    ruggermel@aol.com

• SBDon Rookie 12 posts since
    Jun 11, 2007
    19. Jun 11, 2007 11:47 PM (in response to IRS090)

I can't believe I found this thread.  I've been SUFFERING with this darn Morton's for almost 2 years.  It's now so bad I can barely walk.  Had 2 cortesone shots, no success so far, BUT i think the doc shot between the wrong toes.  What a mess this is.

Thanks all for their posts.

Dec 14, 2007
    20. Jun 12, 2007 4:58 AM (in response to IRS090)

SBDon-Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion and possibly PT.  Have you had an MRI?  I have been going to PT for the past 2 weeks and although I don't know if it's been helping (since I also had a shot beforehand) it sure makes my foot feel good for awhile.  I may be getting another shot this coming Monday.

May 2, 2007
    21. Jun 12, 2007 3:22 PM (in response to IRS090)

quote:

Originally posted by ShelleyM:

SBDon-Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion and possibly PT. Have you had an MRI? I have been going to PT for the past 2 weeks and although I don't know if it's been helping (since I also had a shot beforehand) it sure makes my foot feel good for awhile. I may be getting another shot this coming Monday.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. These are your feet we're talking about, you don't want to take any chances with a doctor you don't feel confident with.

Shelley, how are you feeling since your accident? And what did your PT say about biking?

I had my fourth alcohol injection today and am seeing a steady improvement.  My doctor asked me if I was still having pain when I pushed my gas pedal and I'm not...that is such a relief!  I'm guessing I will still have to have a few more injections but they do seem to be working.

Dec 14, 2007
    22. Jun 13, 2007 5:53 AM (in response to IRS090)

Happy-Thanks for asking.  My nose is still a bit sore, but other than that, I've been back on the bike.  I didn't ask the therapist about biking.  I see the pod on.  Monday hopefully for another injection.  I really think the PT isn't helping much, only the shot.  It stops hurting for the remainder of the day after PT, but then the next morning, I can feel it again when I walk.  More PT this afternoon, I'll see if it helps.  If it doesn't I'm going to ask the pod on Monday if maybe I should stop going.  I think it's a waste of $$.

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jun 13, 2007 6:10 AM (in response to IRS090)

Mr T had good luck with ethanol injections.  You might want to try a doctor who has experience with those.  It doesn't require the long time off that surgery does.  Cortisone is great short term, but it doesn't destroy the neuroma like the ethanol injections or surgery.

• skullengine Rookie 13 posts since
    Aug 14, 2006
    24. Jun 15, 2007 12:58 PM (in response to IRS090)

Ugh, today is my first day back after neuroma surgery (not Morton's, mine was between the second and third toes) but I'm having the beginning of Morton's on my other foot.

For mine, I just wear super-cushy flip flops from Wal-mart ($7) when at home, I run using a cushioned stability shoe with cushy orthotics, and after a run I try to stay off my feet for an hour. I also tape together my second and third toes on both feet for running and that works surprisingly well.

SOMEBODY MAY WANT YOU TO SHORTEN MEDITARSALS IN ADDITION TO REMOVING THE NEUROMA. I had this done, and it was very painful and I'm not sure it was worth it. It kept me off my feet for several months.

Good luck.

Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jun 17, 2007 6:33 AM (in response to IRS090)

skull-Interesting about the taping.  I may try that.  I have a pod appointment tomorrow and will ask him about taping.

Dec 14, 2007
    26. Jun 19, 2007 5:11 AM (in response to IRS090)

My foot is very sore this morning from yesterday's injection.  The pod was surprised I actually asked for the shot.  No more PT, since it wasn't helping and as far as I'm concerned was a waste of time and money.  I go again in 12 days for another appt.

May 2, 2007
    27. Jun 19, 2007 10:17 PM (in response to IRS090)

Shelley, did you get the alcohol/cortisone combo shot again?  My first and second alcohol shots made my foot sore that day and the next.

I may have to skip my next injection as I wrecked my car today (bummer).  I hope going slightly over the two weeks won't hurt my treatment because it does seem to be working.

Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jun 20, 2007 2:38 PM (in response to IRS090)

Happy-So sorry to hear about your accident!  Yes, I did get the cort/alcohol injection.  Today the foot is just a tiny bit sore.

Dec 14, 2007
    29. Jun 26, 2007 3:54 PM (in response to IRS090)

My foot is progressively starting to hurt more.  I actually wonder if my biking is aggravating it.  I might as well start running with the way it's feeling.  I go for another shot on the 12th.  Maybe the PT was helping after all....

1 2 3 4 ... 38 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...