Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

360 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2007 4:21 PM by anneliz36 RSS
Polites Mom Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 20, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2007 9:46 AM

Do I need new shoes after pregnancy?

I've just returned to running after a long break - pregnancy.  I had a hard time finding shoes before because my feet are different from each other.  The right has more of an arch than the left.  Anyway, I'm starting back and trying to avoid the aches and pains caused  by shoes from before and am wondering how much did my feet change during my pregnancy. They feel like they may be wider.

Thanks Jennifer

• 4leafclover087 Rookie 70 posts since
    Aug 20, 2006
    1. Mar 28, 2007 4:14 PM (in response to Polites Mom)
    Re: Do I need new shoes after pregnancy?

I do not have any kids BUT my sister has 3.  And she said after each pregnancy her feet were a little bigger/wider.  Carrying all that extra weight and change your bone structure a little.  I guess it's the same as your hips being a little wider after carrying.

I am sure you are not alone on this one! 

• GetnShape36 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 2, 2006
    2. May 4, 2007 5:01 PM (in response to Polites Mom)

HI,
    DID YOU EVER FIND A PAIR THAT FIT?? I AM 7 MONTHS POSTPARTUM AND ALL OF A SUDDEN AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH IT BAND SYNDROME AND POSSIBLE PIRIFORMIS SYNDROME. I HAVE BOUGHT BOTH ASICS GEL 1110 AND SAUCONY OMNI GRID 4 ULTIMATE BUT NEITHER SEEM TO FEEL LIKE THEY FIT MY FEET CORRECTLY; NO ARCH/MID FOOT SUPPORT.

ANY INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

• Gaelic_Tempest Rookie 31 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 9, 2007 3:10 PM (in response to Polites Mom)

I've been way injury prone since I had my baby. (It was never an issue before.) Chances are very good that your feet got a little bigger during pregnancy. I used to run in a 7 1/2 and now I run in an 8 1/2. Ditch those shoes!!! Even if your foot size hasn't changed, your shoes are old. I've had a fair bit of luck with adding Super Feet insoles. They feel a little strange at first but now I like them.

Your pelvis is a bit wider after childbirth, and I personally feel that changes your gait somewhat. I'm struggling with ITBS right now (mostly from overtraining, I think) but I recently got myself through achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis by getting new shoes (I went to Fleet Feet), adding the Super Feet, doing yoga, and really working on my running form. My abs and lower back are really weak since childbirth, and I think it causes me to pitch forward a bit when I run. I work on being more upright and not letting my pelvis drop back. I've added Pilates to my routine and I think that is helping as well.

Hope this is useful.

• willbevan Rookie 51 posts since
    Dec 7, 2006
    4. May 9, 2007 3:13 PM (in response to Polites Mom)

While waiting to have a friend get a gait analysis i overheard one of the chaps saying that typcally the most common people for gait to change are people that have been in a bad accident and women that have had children....

• anneliz36 Rookie 21 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    5. May 9, 2007 4:21 PM (in response to Polites Mom)

Hi Jennifer!

Congratulations to you!!! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Do you live near a running store? I would get recommendations from them for what you need now. After I had my son (he's 2 now) my feet (along with the rest of me) grew. My feet were wider and bigger after I had him but a year later my feet went back to the same size they were pre-pregnancy. After about a year and a half pretty much all the symptoms and weight gain that went along with having a baby were gone and I was running normally again. I didn't have the symptoms others or injuries that others had after child birth, but it took me a pretty long time to get back to normal again due to gaining a LOT of weight and not running through that pregnancy. Good luck to you and congratulations again!

Anne

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...