Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1823 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2007 7:06 AM by pjbones
pjbones Rookie 14 posts since
Dec 28, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2007 5:49 PM

Very ill after running first marathon

I ran Boston on Monday, my first marathon, and was extremely ill the entire night afterward.  In my training I did 20 mile runs with no problems at all and felt very prepared for the race.  I did spend 2.5 hours standing around waiting for the buses in the cold rain and therefore was wet and cold before the race even started.  But once I started running, I got warm.  Even so, I started to feel fatigued with headache and nausea at about mile 15, which had never happened during training.  By the time I finished, I was completely nauseous and had to go immediately to bed.  All night I had labored breathing and was feverish and couldn't eat or drink a thing, with extreme nausea.  Does anyone know the cause of this?  Was I dehydrated?  Was it the cold rain?  I'm not sure and I'd like to run another marathon to have a more positive experience, but I never want to feel that ill again.  Any insight would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

• runramy Rookie 94 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Apr 20, 2007 2:56 PM (in response to pjbones)
    Re: Very ill after running first marathon

Did you get better after resting, warming up and drying off?  I am sure it's not marathon related but weather related.  If you're not better, go to the dr and see if you have pneumonia.

• jamid018 Amateur 59 posts since
    Jan 15, 2007
    2. Apr 20, 2007 6:24 PM (in response to pjbones)

You may have had a viral infection coming on before the marathon.  You mentioned you had a fever.  I wouldn't think a fever would be brought on by the weather.  If you aren't better in a few days and continue to have an elevated temperature see a doctor to rule out bacterial infection.  I hope you feel better soon.

• RunnersHigh Amateur 259 posts since
    Nov 24, 2006
    3. Apr 21, 2007 4:05 PM (in response to pjbones)

It's been proven that you cannot get a virus or a cold from rain, cold weather, wind, or any other type of weather condition.  You have to catch it FROM SOMEBODY or SOMETHING (door knob, etc).  You probably were about to get sick unfortunately and it running the marathon depleted your body even further.  Get well or if you're still sick as I'm writing this, see a doctor.  Good luck.

• SLOjim Pro 365 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    4. Apr 22, 2007 9:26 AM (in response to pjbones)

You could have very well been dehydrated..... just because it's cold and wet outside doesn't mean you can't become dehydrated.  Often times in those conditions we forget how important it is to keep replacing fluids in our bodies.

I've been dehydrated during and after 3 or 4 of my marathons and had all the symptoms you described (very common for dehydration) ...... sometimes it takes a few days for the body to get back to normal.

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Apr 23, 2007 6:12 AM (in response to pjbones)

Could be a combination of dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, hypothermia, shutting off blood flow to your gut  for too long, a reaction from all those stress hormones your body produced, you name it for the headache and nausea part, but that doesn't explain the fever.

My first marathon I know part of my problem afterwards was dehydration, because I didn't need to urinate for about 4 hours afterwards, despite trying to rehydrate, and when I did finally go, it was very dark yellow. You really should weigh yourself before and after a few long runs to make sure you are drinking enough, but not too much. You can get into trouble both from underhydrating and over-hydrating.

You can also have problems from drinking just water and not getting enough electrolytes, as well.  Did you drink mostily water on the course or did you  have the Gatorade Exceed?

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    8. Apr 24, 2007 8:58 PM (in response to pjbones)

just curious as I am new to running...how can Boston be your first marathon?  I thought you had to qualify...is that true? 
    i just heard that somewhere...

Angie Drew 
  • Num3n Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 23, 2007
    10. Apr 25, 2007 1:28 AM (in response to pjbones)

also before the race what did u have to eat?

• pismodiver Rookie 38 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. May 8, 2007 3:24 AM (in response to pjbones)

quote:

Originally posted by pjbones:

It's interesting that you mention the urination - because I did go urinate several times throughout the night. and i hadn't had anything to drink since the marathon because i simply couldn't keep anything down. I didn't have a fever that lasted any length of time - it just felt like my temperature was fluctuating from really hot to cold. and my arms and tongue (of all things?) felt tingly. I was really quite frightened but the naseau passed after several hours and i was able to finally sleep and felt okay the next day. Very strange. Oh - and I drank both water and gatoraide at every stop because i had some cramping in my leg early on and was afraid it was due to dehydration.

Rather than dehydration, it sounds like you may have been suffering from the opposite: hyponatremia from over-hydration. Your symptoms are consistent with it, especially the fact that you had to urinate multiple times after the race despite no intake.

And with you saying you drank water at every single stop? I'd put money on it. Under the conditions this year, no one needed water at every stop. Since you were a non-qualifying runner, were you out on the course a long time?

Here are a few articles about the topic:

http://www.jnj.com/news/jnj_news/20031030_105713.htm[/URL" target="_blank">
    http://www.aims-association.org/guidelines_fluid_replacement.htm[/URL" target="_blank">
    http://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/hyponatremia.cfm[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...