Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

579 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 21, 2007 2:47 PM by vermontjen RSS
rlwiggins227 Rookie 8 posts since
Oct 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2007 2:33 PM

Patellar tracking problems

I had assumed that I'd had ITBS but after some relearch, I'm thinking I may have patellar tracking problems.  My knee hurts after 1-1.5 miles of running and feels like it's going to go out from under me at times.  It hurts going up and down stairs and getting up and down out of my desk chair at work.  It also pops when I extend it straight out. 

What is the best treatment for this?  Thanks!

• vermontjen Rookie 24 posts since
    Jul 25, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 21, 2007 2:47 PM (in response to rlwiggins227)
    Re: Patellar tracking problems

Can't help you diagnose, but I have recently been in to see a PT re: knee issues.  I had pain under & below the knee cap - and pain when running up or down hill (or walking up stairs).  Diagnosed by PT as patella tracking issue.  He gave me a set of basic knee strengthening exercises.  He also was able to pinpoint the muscles that were weaker and causing the kneecap to not track right, so the excercises focused on those. 

To continue running while strengthening, he showed me how to tape my knee - taping the kneecap in a position where it will track right. It took a while to get the hang of it and get it in the right position. To test whether I taped it right, I step up on a step and if it doesn't hurt any more, it is right. It was miraculous the first time he did it - I stepped up without the tape and it hurt. Then he taped it and I stepped up with the tape and it didn't hurt. Amazing.

So that's my story - I would recommend finding a good PT to get it formally diagnosed and treated right.  Too much to lose with knee pain.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...