Skip navigation

4166 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2007 8:49 AM by Michael_Taylor RSS
Innocent_Bystander Amateur 15 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2007 12:24 PM

Not so fast NA Umpire

My wife, the saint that she is, found my son's baseball glove.  They had been lost since we  moved a few months ago.  It was a great day in the Bystander household.

That being said, is it a requirement that all fielders have a baseball glove on when playing the field?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Dec 16, 2007 11:58 AM (in response to Innocent_Bystander)
    Re: Not so fast NA Umpire

Surprisingly enough it is not required. The rule says the fielder may wear a glove but it doesn't require it. Once worn it must meet certain specs.

Michael S. Taylor

• saraallent Active.com Staff 1,094 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    2. Dec 17, 2007 4:12 PM (in response to Michael_Taylor)

Never knew that. Interesting.

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Dec 18, 2007 5:36 AM (in response to saraallent)

Sara,

You'll learn a lot of interesting things about baseball's rules when this venue gets cranked up after people switch over here from Eteamz.  I've been umpiring for ten years now, and just when I think I know all the rules, I learn something new.

What makes it even more frustrating about the rules (from an umpire's perspective) is that they are subtly different from organization to organization.  With respect to gloves, for example, professional baseball doesn't require that the catcher wear a catcher's mitt.  He could wear a first baseman's mitt or glove, or even go barehanded.  LL Baseball, OTOH, mandates a catcher's mitt (and ONLY a catcher's mitt) for all its divisions.

Manny

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Dec 18, 2007 8:49 AM (in response to Manny_A)

Manny is exactly right about the nuances of the different rule sets. In high school, they don't differenciate between a glove and a mit, so you can pitch with a firstbaseman's glove.

Michael S. Taylor

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...