Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3051 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2007 5:31 PM by Twocat RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
PBJ027 Pro 190 posts since
Aug 18, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 16, 2007 1:50 PM

Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon

The following race report form has been developed, in order to make the Boomers and Beyond forum ISO 9000 compliant.  In addition, it should serve as a guide for all new racers, struggling to create their first race posts.  (Especially you Hartford and Chicago people these past weekends).  The format is effective immediately, and any deviations from this structure will be heavily fined. 

Form #PBJ004 – The Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon Race Report

Well, it’s over, and here’s my report.  I started it in a separate thread to avoid any fines.  I signed up for the Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon race in Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon, Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon a) a while ago, b) just this past week, c) right before the start gun went off.  Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon.

I had anxiously watched the weather reports all week, but in contrast to the predictions, the conditions a) turned out beautifully, b) turned into a downpour with hurricane force winds c) included hail pelting our fragile bodies.

The lines for the port-o-potties were incredibly long, and I was just able to make it to the start line before the gun.  The start area was packed with runners, and even though the gun sounded, we didn’t move for a while.  Then, it was only a shuffling walk, to a slow jog, to a run after what seemed like ages.  I was darting left and right to avoid the slower runners in front of me.  Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon.

I was very focused on the first part of the race, then towards the mid part, my mind started to wander. Finally, at the end of the race, I a) regained my focus and achieved a PR, b) kept going even though various injuries, aches and pains slowed me down, c) completely lost it, sat down in the middle of the road and balled like a baby.

[Insert amusing anecdotes about the various activities going on during the race here].

After finishing, I picked up my medal and went to the food tents.  a) The spread was tremendous, and I chowed down like a pig.  b) A paper bag containing a banana and a yogurt does not exactly qualify as a post race meal.  c) There was no food there, since the half mary runners had cleaned them out. Hartford 2007 - My Dream Marathon.

[Name drop others that you saw at the race here].

Well, that was my race experience. Hope you enjoyed my report. a) I’ll be back and better than ever next year. b) I’ll never run that race again! c) My doctor says I should be out of the hospital by next Tuesday at the latest.

PBJ’s 2007 Hartford Marathon Race Report

Well, it’s over, and here’s my report. I started it in a separate thread to avoid any fines. I signed up for the marathon in Hartford, CT the night before the race. Amusing pre-race reminiscence – for the first time in my life, I used a pristine porto potty to take care of pre-race business. I could tell it was there-to-for unused because both TP’s were still wrapped, and the blue liquid was undisturbed. Ah, the joy of the little things.

I had anxiously watched the weather reports all week, but in contrast to the predictions, the conditions turned out beautifully.

The lines for the port-o-potties were incredibly long, and I was just able to make it to the start line before the gun (not true – see above). The start area was packed with runners, and even though the gun sounded, we didn’t move for a while (also not true – we crossed the start line within seconds of the gun). I was darting left and right to avoid the slower runners in front of me (true – and the Matt in Black took off like he was shot out of a cannon – his stride was effortlessly smooth as he ran out of sight).

I was very focused on the first part of the race, then towards the mid part, my mind started to wander. Finally, at the end of the race, I regained my focus and achieved a PR.

Amusing anecdotes about the various activities going on during the race – the half-marathon time clock was 10 minutes too slow – it read 1:17 as I passed it – good thing I was using my Timex Ironman watch for my splits.

After finishing, I picked up my medal, sipped water at a trough, was interviewed by the local paper, and went to the food tents. The spread was tremendous, and I chowed down like a pig. Then I got a post-race rub down. My masseuse, Helga, was painfully good.

Others that were there – hi Pro, Lily, Hally Big thanks for the goetzes and the candy corn), Pink, Katie, MC (and ProtoSun), TNally, LaT, Doc and Mrs. Dale, Caddisfli, WRFB, PDR (and soon to be PhD Newlyweds), WRFB, Henrun and Marj, Econo-caller, and, of course, Long-Suffering Mrs. PBJ and the PBJsters (who made candy corn shaped cookies and had a PBJ fan club sign). You guys are all so special. (Sorry if I left anyone off the list – was Improves With Age thERe?)

Well, that was my race experience. Hope you enjoyed my report. I’ll never run that race again! (particularly since I never ran it to begin with – according to the timing company).

Just the facts:

Fashion and hydration report – puke green throw away jacket (tossed at mile 3), pumpkin orange Boston marathon 07 singlet, black shorts, Saucony trigon rides, propel lemon fitness water (used until mile 26 – never used a water stop or a potty during the race – both firsts for me). Vanilla gu at mile 18, chocolate gu at mile 24 (eerily foreshadowed on my 28 mile training run – at least I knew what to expect from that choco-lemon flavor combination).

Splits (for the nerds – I always look at the marathon as two 10 milers and a final 10k):
6:48, 6:29, 6:34, 6:26, 6:46, 6:42, 6:41, 6:40, 6:36, 6:42
6:36, 6:30, 6:46, 6:21, 6:40, 6:40, 6:51, 6:46, 6:59, 7:05
7:04, 7:05, 7:18, 7:32, 7:30, 7:31, 1:xx
(I forgot to stop my watch, and it’s still a phantom time).
Hung on for a 2:59:xx – a 3+ minute PR and a lifetime goal.

I’ll explain the sour taste in my mouth in a day or two.  Thanks for reading.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...