Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7583 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2008 11:22 AM by Ribbie RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 26, 2007 9:24 AM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: What was your first marathon?

1977 Huntsville Rocket City Marathon (then called the Joe Steele Rocket City Marathon). 3:58. Thirty-four then, 64 now!! To mark the 30th anniversary of that momentous occassion, I am running the Rocket City Marathon in December. My goal to beat my 1977 time. I will do it. Nick

• MarkGuy051 Legend 542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Oct 26, 2007 9:34 AM (in response to Tamalina)

First off, wow! You caught the bug. You'll love it, especially since you are likely to have a large contingent of boomers at whatever race you choose. I have $10 that says Tet and John will be there.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

My first was Detroit last year. It's local for me and that's one reason I picked it. However, I never seriously considered any other race. Having read about it each fall for years, I knew that someday I would run it.

Good luck making your choice.
    Mark

• Twocat Legend 404 posts since
    Oct 12, 2006
    32. Oct 26, 2007 9:40 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Amazing how many people here have been running marathons for over a decade!  My first was in 2005 at a local race in CT called the Mystic Places Marathon.  It was not actually in Mystic bur rather in somewhat nearby Niantic.  Maybe that helps explain why the race is no more!

• rosecoloredglasses Legend 849 posts since
    Aug 12, 2005
    33. Oct 26, 2007 9:48 AM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by Twocat:

Amazing how many people here have been running marathons for over a decade! My first was in 2005 at a local race in CT called the Mystic Places Marathon. It was not actually in Mystic bur rather in somewhat nearby Niantic. Maybe that helps explain why the race is no more!

OH MY GOODNESS!
    Here's ANOTHER one!

Twocat!
    Remember the days prior to the Mystic Places Marathon in Niantic, 2005? Remember how stormy and rainy and torrential downpoury it was? Remember the threat for that weather to continue onto race day?

But....NO! The weather was IRC. The clouds parted and the sun shone and it was nice and chilly. A great day!

I could be a little biased... because I ran my personal best that day (4:05)... but, I thought it was a fantastic course with great support.

Sigh.
    I liked that day. I met Mobobo that day. I ran the first 10K with the rocket scientist. My plan was to run the first 10K like a race and then run the next 20 miles easy. Worked like a charm. Oh, and I ate a Twix bar at mile 18. I think that helped.

Oops!  Sorry for the hijack, Tammy... Good luck in your marathon quest.  You'll do well.

• perchcreek Legend 821 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    34. Oct 26, 2007 10:24 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy, I guess you'ld be looking for left coast marathons.
    Out east, the Marine Corp Marathon, as others have pointed out, is a great first timer due to the extravaganza and great support. The 2004 MCM was my first and most rewarding because I became a "Marathoner". There is only one First so choose wisely !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!. Oh, I ran that in 4:32 and was thrilled even though I didn't beat Oprah's time !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Smaller marathons have thin spectator support so it can get boring in spots (usually where you NEED support).
    Steve

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    35. Oct 26, 2007 10:59 AM (in response to Tamalina)

I stayed in my city for my first one.  That was NY 1983.  I like to say that I felt so bad at the end (it was raining too) that I took a cab home, and I lived less than a mile from the finish.

My only other one was local too, in the city next door. That would be NY 2006. Slept in own bed, left the house at 6:50, caught bus a couple of miles away at 7, at the start in about an hour

I like to support such local events and help them keep the numbers up.

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Oct 26, 2007 11:08 AM (in response to Tamalina)

I traveled halfway across the country to Omaha in Sept 05.  'Cuz that's where the Coolrunning B&B party was!  It's important to have supporters there at the end; family and/or friends.

It was CouchtoMarathon in 9 months for me, and I didn't do particularly well, but I had a grand time and got to meet my imaginary pals!

• Nordic Berserker Pro 189 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Dec 26, 2007 11:01 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Denver Mile High Marathon - 1983. I was 25, ambitious, and didn't know any better. PR'd at 10k two weeks earlier, and my pace charts indicated that I could be near the lead pack. I got so nervous. Stopped drinking caffeine the week before, but still couldn't sleep well. Went out and drank three or four beers the night before. Why? Because I liked beer and I had read how Frank Shorter had done it the night before his 1972 Olympic win. The thing I didn't take into account was that the Olympic Marathon started at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Mile High was bright and early at 8 am. I woke up with a hangover, which didn't dissipate through the first 10 miles.

It all went amazingly well but I had to stop twice in Washington Park to stretch cramping quads. I ran a 2:35, which is equivalent to 2:30 or 2:31 at sea level. Back then, that was a decent debut, but really nothing to write home about.

[http://oh yeah, why I did this one. I was going to school at CSU and Denver was only an hour away, plus my mom was living there, so it was a pretty easy decision for a first marathon|http://oh yeah, why I did this one. I was going to school at CSU and Denver was only an hour away, plus my mom was living there, so it was a pretty easy decision for a first marathon]

[http://This message has been edited by Nordic Berserker (edited Oct-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Nordic Berserker (edited Oct-26-2007).]

• mrpat007 Pro 236 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    39. Oct 26, 2007 12:18 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy, my first Philadelphia 2005 was local, we stayed overnight at my sister's house which was within walking distance of the start. I was 60 YO and finished in 3:50 in IRC.

To cap it off got to meet a nice contingent of CR boomers.

• glidegal Legend 506 posts since
    Mar 7, 2005
    40. Oct 26, 2007 12:19 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Portland was my first in 1995.  Reason: I'd always wanted to say I'd done one and it was my 40th birthday year.  Longest training run consisted of 7 miles around the 'hood.  Didn't matter: no more excuses.  How do you spell SORE? 
    Eight years later, with the help of a great virtual coach, I did it again, knocking off 35 minutes with a substantially better training regimen. Missed my BQ by 4 minutes...
    I think Eugene is a great choice for you for all the reasons you stated.  I'll see you there whether I run or "work" the unofficial Boomer aid station.  good luck with your training.  glidegal

• JeffVNJ Pro 252 posts since
    Jan 13, 2006
    41. Oct 26, 2007 12:59 PM (in response to Tamalina)

New Jersey Waterfront Marathon 1989.  I did the 10K there in 1988 and then watched the Mens Olympic Trials.  I decided I was going to come back to run the full the next year.  It was also a local race for me, about an hour away from home.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Aug 12, 2005
    42. Oct 26, 2007 1:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by mrpat:

Tammy, my first Philadelphia 2005 was local, we stayed overnight at my sister's house which was within walking distance of the start. I was 60 YO and finished in 3:50 in IRC.

To cap it off got to meet a nice contingent of CR boomers.

Who's keeping score?
    This is the THIRD one in this thread that I have run!

Hiya mrpat!
    Didn't we meet for lunch the day before Philly 2005?
    Yep, those were IRC... Nice course, friendly folks.

(I didn't run my best here, but this was my 7th marathon in 2005, it was nice meeting folks, though!)

Aug 12, 2005
    43. Oct 26, 2007 1:39 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by Econo:

I traveled halfway across the country to Omaha in Sept 05. 'Cuz that's where the Coolrunning B&B party was! It's important to have supporters there at the end; family and/or friends.

It was CouchtoMarathon in 9 months for me, and I didn't do particularly well, but I had a grand time and got to meet my imaginary pals!

HEY! How'd I miss this one?

FOUR.
    Count 'em.
    FOUR.

I was there.
    I was miserable in Omaha (no offense to Omahan's, it was just really humid that day, Sept. 2005)

• jebsmythe Legend 702 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Oct 26, 2007 1:52 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Well Tamster, you already know that it's my intention for my first marathon to now also be Eugene.  I would have preferred it to be Portland since I know every inch of the route and there would be no surprises, but that didn't happen.  So my running schedule now is geared for a May 4th marathon.  We'll see if I actually survive the training this time!

We can be marathon virgins together! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...