Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7473 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2008 11:22 AM by Ribbie RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    45. Oct 26, 2007 2:02 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: What was your first marathon?

Hey Tammy,

Another advantage to running local is that you can train on the actual course. (Although your "local" is a 2 hour drive away - maybe that's not feasible.) There's a huge mental advantage in being familiar with the course, particularly in the late stages of a marathon. Good luck, happy training.

Mike

• millbot Legend 635 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    46. Oct 26, 2007 2:47 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Tamster, my first was Ogden, UT, May 2008.  I say "was" because I'm hoping smpankowski will jump in here with a race report for me.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

To keep the logistics simple, I knew I wanted to do a race close to home, which gave me seven options.  I chose Ogden because the course looks favorable, the feedback from runners is very positive, and the timing works out well.

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    47. Oct 26, 2007 2:56 PM (in response to Tamalina)

rosecoloredglasses - so how many marathons have you done?  #66 for me will be NYC - I'm sure we've done a few others together as well.

• enkephalin Legend 243 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    48. Oct 26, 2007 3:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Hey Tammy,

Good luck on Eugene!  And Labduck too!  Eugene is on my short list of possible first dip marathons to do IF and WHEN I am ready and crazy enough to do one.  Just a bit too far away though.

• wa5yom Legend 342 posts since
    Dec 1, 2007
    49. Oct 26, 2007 4:29 PM (in response to Tamalina)

My first marathon was 1999, The White Rock Marathon in Dallas, Texas, which is 100 miles south of my home in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

All my relatives live in North Texas which made Dallas an easy choice, and it is a December race which provided potentially nice weather conditions.

I have run it numerous times.....each time...I can still see myself running that first marathon, so it still special....I haven't run the marathon there for the last few years: instead I have run the Half marathon which has been fun but I hope to be able to fit the marathon into my schedule in 2008 since I have really missed running the marathon there....

Good luck,

Tim,
    Ardmore, OK.

----

My Journal[/URL" target="_blank">
    Boomer Photos[/URL" target="_blank">
    2007 Boston Marathon Boomer Photos[/URL" target="_blank">
    Running Quotes[/URL" target="_blank">
    Dale's (dtoce) running tips[/URL" target="_blank">
    Coolrunning Boomers and Beyond Wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

• rosecoloredglasses Legend 849 posts since
    Aug 12, 2005
    50. Oct 26, 2007 4:38 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by PacerChris:

rosecoloredglasses - so how many marathons have you done? #66 for me will be NYC - I'm sure we've done a few others together as well.

Oh you have WAY more than I do!

Tell me if we ran any others together but separately:

1995- MCM
    1997- NYC
    1999- MCM

big break

2005:
    February: Tampa
    March: Lower Potomac River Marathon
    June: Hatfield McCoy
    July: Gateway to the Pacific: Elma, Washington
    September: Omaha
    October: Mystic Places in Niantic
    November: Philadelphia

2006:
    my husband ran the full marathons, I just ran parts...
    September: Akron (I ran the anchor leg of the relay)
    December: Dallas WhiteRock (I ran the half)

2007:
    March: Bataan Memorial Death March (White Sands NM)
    I ran the "Honorary March" ~ 14.5 miles
    May: Vermont City Marathon (marathon)
    October: The Breakers (Newport RI) (marathon)

Did I see you at any of these events, PacerChris?

• tselbs Legend 1,208 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    51. Oct 26, 2007 6:38 PM (in response to Tamalina)

My first, and only, marathon was Carrollton, MI (suburb of Saginaw).  This is a small race with the option of a 5K, 10K, 20K, or marathon.  The races take place the last sunday of July so it's usually warm and humid.  It's different in that there's a single 5K loop, flat as a pancake,  and you do the appropriate number of loops for your event.  In 2001, this was the location of my first 10K.  I repeated the 10K in 2002.  In 2003, 2004, and 2005, I did the 20K.   One of my running friends had been at several of these races with me and had done the marathon in 2005.  She'd encouraged me to do it in 2005 but I declined.  Whenever I'd see her at races after that, she'd encourage me to do the 2006 marathon with her.  The combination of her encouragement, knowing the course, having it close, knowing the race director and several other's who would be in one or another race, made me choose this one.  The day was one of the warmest and most humid for the event but I survived the experience.  There were 42 marathoners in 2006.  I think there may have been more other years when it wasn't as warm.  When I did the 20K there were 20-40 runners, one of the 10Ks had 23 runners (I didn't make a note of the total in the other), and the 5K appeared to have quite a few more than the other distances.  For the most part, the crowd (using the term loosely) consisted of those who came with the runners and the course volunteers.  There was one supporter that was special. For the first couple of laps, a youngish sounding girl's voice called out encouragement from a window in a house along the route.  After that, she was out by the street in front of the house encouraging everyone.  A couple of times she had a friend or two with her but she hung in there for the whole time I was running my marathon.  After the first couple of laps, I began looking for her on the out and back portions of each of my 8 laps.  It wasn't big, it wasn't fancy, it sure wasn't a name race, but it had it's own unique character.

TomS

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• charleygross Pro 160 posts since
    Jul 5, 2000
    52. Oct 26, 2007 7:30 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Cape Cod Marathon 1999.  Took the first ferry over to Woods Hole and the rest is in the books!!  It was a tough road to hoe for sure!  3 weeks prior, I had taken the first ferry over and run the entire course as a long run.  What an idiot I was back then...  So green.  Truth is I cried at the finish.  My dad had died on September 11th, (the marathon was on Halloween) and my daughter Olivia ran the last 100 or so yards with me!  Very touching stuff.  Thank you for this wonderful post, Tammy.  The memories alone, are worth it!

Chris

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    53. Oct 26, 2007 7:30 PM (in response to Tamalina)

This is a little pre-mature but I will jump in.

My first marathon will go down as Boston, (which is a story in itself to be able to say that).

However, in my current running career, my first marathon will be starting in 14 days 12 hours and 7 minutes from now (according to their website).

Last year in one of the daily threads, Tramps announced that Richmond was giving a discount for registration for NEXT years's Marathon and asked if anyone was interested. I needed a goal and felt that this Marathon was far enough away that I would have time to do the training, so I signed up.

With some unplanned obstacles coming in that has prevented the full proper training, I still am going to go for it with a goal of simply finishing in one piece. How I do will determine whether I consider Tramps a blessing or a curse...

As well, Richmond is only a couple of hours away, so this made it a good choice for the first Marathon as well. One final motivation is that a friend of mine locally said that her first Marathon was Richmond.

----

vista129[/URL" target="_blank">

• Zapatista Amateur 81 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    54. Dec 26, 2007 11:01 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Ocean State Marathon,  Newport RI in 1983. Ran my PR of 3:11 there 21 years ago today. Part of the course was on the present day Breakers Marathon. I wasn't living there at the time but I grew up there and had run the course many times so it was basically a local race. A fairly large race 1000-1500 but not a megarace which I hate. The race was held in late October-early November so you were likely to get cool weather.

[http://This message has been edited by Zapatista (edited Oct-26-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Zapatista (edited Oct-26-2007).]

• rented mule Expert 99 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    55. Oct 26, 2007 9:26 PM (in response to Tamalina)

March 23, 1979 Arkansas Marathon in Booneville, Ark.  Crashed so badly on a warm day that I never thought I'd run a step again.  The last 6-7 miles were anything but fun.  To this day it was one of the hardest days of my life.

• SkipAZ Legend 581 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    56. Oct 26, 2007 10:37 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Interesting thread Tammy!

I took an unconventional approach. I did a 50 mile trail ultra first - Nov 1976 - sort of on a whim with almost no training - my college roommate conned me into it. After we both survived that, we figured a marathon on no training would seem easy so we ran the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach on March 21st 1977. We were going to school in Annapolis, MD at the time and his older brother was stationed in VaBeach so while not exactly local, it was fairly close and we had a place to stay for free. My time was 3:54:27. Then I took a LONG vacation. I ran my 2nd one 28 years later in Hartford in Oct 2005 in 3:32:48 (BQ).

Skip

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    57. Oct 26, 2007 10:53 PM (in response to Tamalina)

rcg - MCM in 95 and 99 and White Rock last year.

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    58. Oct 27, 2007 12:00 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy and Labduck, I think it is totally cool that you will run Eugene for your first!

• arf 1 Legend 300 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    59. Oct 27, 2007 12:44 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Hey Tammy, that is so exciting that you want to run a marathon!!  

My first was 12 years ago in Calgary Alberta and I picked it because it was the closest marathon to where I live and I could drive to it. My ex-husband was not supportive of my running at all and flying to a race was out of the question.

I finished in somewhere around 4:30 and remember at about the 24 mile marker feeling so sad because my first was almost over...I wanted it to go on forever.

I was hooked. I tried to run as many per year that my Ex thought was "reasonable".

I am now free of him, (as you know), and am chasing number 29.

Have a great time in Eugene Tam!

arf

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...