Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2983 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2007 12:33 PM by predawnrunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Nov 11, 2007 5:31 PM (in response to Tamalina)
    Re: Last 5K of the season RR

Tammy, of course you made the right call, and the best part of it is that it was consistent with your goal.  I was only making the point that many times in AG competition, when there is a fiveK and a longer race, the experienced runner who is used to distance will often choose the longer race, when placing high up is the objective, because it eliminates all those people who can't run the distance.  I have seen your workouts and in a small race, I knew you would have done well in the 9.  Good for you to stick to the goal.  Spareribs

• Canfit Legend 1,055 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Nov 12, 2007 9:43 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Congrats on a very nice race and PR, Tammy!  What a way to end your season! 
    PJ

• tallrunner Legend 573 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    18. Nov 12, 2007 7:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy

Great race, that was a superb effort based on the training you have had.

Congrats.
    Tall

• choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    19. Nov 12, 2007 8:30 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Hey, how cool is that?  Congratulations Tamster!  You have worked hard this year and deserved that PR!

----

choover[/URL" target="_blank">

• Legend 1,827 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    20. Nov 13, 2007 12:41 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Woohooo!  Speedy new PR!  You aren't kidding that 2007 has been a good running year for you.  Break out PRs in lots of different distances, boomer meet-ups!  Its been a sweet year.   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    Congratulations!

• glidegal Legend 506 posts since
    Mar 7, 2005
    21. Nov 13, 2007 12:47 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy, you have come SO far in this year of running.  Super congratulations on your hard work and results!  Look at you --smashing through these times in your last races.  You deserve a hot tub of your own if you don't already have one!  glidegal

• DaveinAA035 Legend 742 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    22. Nov 13, 2007 1:08 PM (in response to Tamalina)

It's been fun to watch you improve this year, Tammy. Ending the season with a resounding PR should give you plenty of motivation to train through the winter and have more success in 2008. Congratulations!

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    23. Nov 13, 2007 1:48 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Tammy,

Great race! A 1:40 PR in a 5K is fantastic.

I don't like to read the men's race reports because so many of them are faster than I am. Pretty soon I'll have to stop reading the wimmen's race reports, too. Not that I'm competitive or anything.

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    24. Nov 13, 2007 3:35 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Hey Tammy! Greta job on an awesome race! 1:40 improvement on your PR is something to be proud of. Good for you for following up on your goal for this year. What do you want to focus on next year? Tet mentioned a marathon... are you interested?

----

evanflein[/URL" target="_blank">

• dtoce Legend 383 posts since
    Nov 10, 2003
    26. Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by TammyM:

Final time was 24.48 and I was real pleased with that. I felt like I gave this race my maximum effort and on the limited and sporadic amount of speedwork that I do, I don’t think I could have done any better.

This was my last race of the year and I was pleased to finish it off strong. 2007 has been a good running year for me.

I'd wholeheartedly agree that 2007 was a very, very good year for you in running/racing! You've done nothing but increase your training in terms of volume and pace. Solid racing each and every race. Improved splits. Always delightful with reports and ultragregarious...I'm sure with added speed sharpening you will continue to take seconds off your 5K times with each race. That distance simply hurts.

Congratulations on a terrific race! Another PR. It's almost expected as you will continue down that path of striving for more.

the marathon is a beast, though...make sure you do the work to appease the gods...with proper training you will have the

best

race yet-

• Soundrunner Legend 408 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    27. Nov 14, 2007 12:34 AM (in response to Tamalina)

Nice race, Tammy!  You have had a great year of running!

I'm no 5k expert, but I think it's pretty common for most of us to start out a bit too fast. The important thing is you got your groove on the second mile, yet didn't slack off too much to lose a great pace.

I see sub 24 early in 2008! 

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    28. Nov 14, 2007 12:18 PM (in response to Tamalina)

quote:

Originally posted by TammyM:

gave it everything I had at that point, which brought me the closest to puke threshold that I have yet experienced.

Yup, that's what 5Ks do to me, too.    

Congratulations on your hugh PR, Tammy - super way to finish out the season!

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• predawnrunner Legend 297 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    29. Nov 14, 2007 12:33 PM (in response to Tamalina)

Congratulations on smashing your PR to bits with a comfortable margin against your goal.  That was one exciting race report, especially since I harbor the same 2007 goal and I was quite interested in your experience.

You've had a great year.

----

Predawnrunner[/URL" target="_blank">, aka mrs W.R.F. Beer

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...