Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3867 Views 69 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2007 1:18 AM by evanflein RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • lyndenrunner078 Legend 421 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 20, 2007 10:07 AM (in response to hopeful4ever)
    Re: Twos-Day Boomer Runs 11/20

5 miles at an 8:00 pace,nuthin special...cool clear skies...29 degrees.

----

Gordon
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    16. Nov 20, 2007 10:32 AM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Good Morning Boomers!

Mary -  (the BAD WORD)

Peter – nice 10-miler! 8:45 was my MP, but I’m not sure I could even do 7 miles at that pace right now, certainly not with hills as well.

Twocat – America’s Funniest Videos is full of wonderful footage of those kinds of stunts, much to my family’s entertainment.

Just a small comment on safety in general. My stepsister is a nurse, works in a big local hospital. She says that by far the worst things she sees, and the most common thing that brings people to the hospital, are car accidents. Like PDR said, these events aren’t as newsworthy as things like rape and kidnapping, but they are by far our most likely danger. Yet no one urges us to stop driving. That would of course be ludicrous. All we can do is take safety precautions, and continue to live our lives. There are so many things in this world to be afraid of, it would be easy to let fear paralyze us.

6 easy-paced miles for me today in a lovely and moist (and unexpected) 60 degrees. Cool air is on the way back, though, and the forecast for Thursday’s Turkey Trot is 30 degrees. Rest day tomorrow, in hopes it will give me speed I’m not feeling lately.

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Dec 26, 2007 11:23 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

morning boomers :-)

Mary, I'm glad you're ok! Sadie wanted to meet a puppy once, & forgot I was attached.

Nice runs, everybody. Embracing the weather.

Mark, yippee you were outside. no pain?

Mike interesting shoes. kinda like tw's heavy hand runs, for feet.

I'm so behind.  no internet at home since early sunday.  long time on the phone with tech support this morning.  he asked me to marry him.      but still no internet.

sunday was marathon leaf raking for me, like a lot of you it sounds like. yesterday, pilates #1, p.t. then the gym in the afternoon. 20 min. elliptical, another run attempt, I think as long as I pay attention to the pain it's ok? ? 1.7 miles. alternating walk/ run laps. able to do a whole lap, which I couldn't saturday. nice & slow, ave.pace was 15 ish, -- max was 8 something, i had to move a little for a while. SSide planks, stretches, 20 min. swimming.

you know, running sure is fun. especially when you aren't supposed to. ;-)

pilates 2 this morning, incorporating tips from p.t. to cure my wonky S/I. it was a whole different process!

happy days to all.

[http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Nov-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Nov-20-2007).]

• MustangSally066 Legend 643 posts since
    Mar 29, 2007
    18. Dec 26, 2007 11:23 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Hey, Mary - you sound agile and clever!  Good for you for taking the roll without too much damage.  Maybe you have a future in judo!

Roch - Now, I'll have Hallelujah on the brain for the day.  A genuine thank-you.

quote:

Originally posted by SueT48:

I'm not sure how I missed it, but I just heard that another runner, Matt Hardy, died after finishing the New York marathon.

<Satire>I put into Google, "runner died." Here's the results. It's up to the viewer to decide if there's real evidence or not and sadly, I find there is. It's not a safe world out there, never really has been and en garde is how we all have to be. Most will get out of it unharmed but running-related cardiac failure is all around us, always has and always will be. Dear God, the horror.</Satire>

(Have lots of fun at the track tomorrow, Sue.  That treadmill recovery should have your legs rarin' to go   )

<GEEK>
    LT testing results are back:

2006 Threshold: 170 BPM, Lactate@2.0 mmol/L, 11-11.5 km/h
    2007 Threshold: 173 BPM, Lactate@3.2 mmol/L, 12.5 km/h

I'm still no rock star, but it's coming. It's coming. Now all I have to do is stay healthy. (knocks on head)

</GEEK>

ETA: Oh, and running. Fifty nice, easy minutes are scheduled for tonight during Mustang Colt's karate class.
    ----

Mustang Sally
    Boomers and Beyond wiki[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by MustangSally (edited Nov-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by MustangSally (edited Nov-20-2007).]

• Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Dec 26, 2007 11:23 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

heehee, MSally.  But could you explain the LT numbers for us?

Twocat, a back & forth discussion on this board does not imply a catfight, nor a need to isolate the discussion participation by gender. Sorry I sound grumpy, but I like the way everyone jumps into discussions here, and I wouldn't want them to back off.

4.3 miles jog to work. Backpack was a little heavy with work clothes (I hadn't planned ahead).

Oh, and hopeful! You absolutely cracked me up!

[http://This message has been edited by Econo (edited Nov-20-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Econo (edited Nov-20-2007).]

• BeeMan458 Pro 131 posts since
    Mar 24, 2006
    20. Nov 20, 2007 11:33 AM (in response to hopeful4ever)

&lt;Satire&gt;

Not very thoughtful (respectful) of you as you now go antagonistic; hateful.

Wishing all safe runnings.

Ta!

• enkephalin Legend 243 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Nov 20, 2007 11:39 AM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Vista, I guess we will have to meet at a neutral third location then, for security reasons   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

I really value hearing all opinions on any salient topic. I don't recall any women thrashing it out. One person had what turned out to be a less popular opinion, which made them feel unwelcome. All opinions are valid and welcome.

No run today. Major cleaning/organizing on the blocks and some ab work perhaps.

We picked up a stray cat.  He is beautiful and friendly.  I am trying to find his owners, but a big part of me hopes I am unsuccessful.

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    22. Nov 20, 2007 11:57 AM (in response to hopeful4ever)

We're having a heat wave! Heheh. ok, it was almost 30 at my house this morning. Already at what the forecasted high temp will be... and breezy. Normally this is a good thing... but I have a 20 lb frozen turkey on the deck! I want it to stay that way, picked up a freebie for buying $100 of groceries (a regular occurence with those boys of mine...) last week. I don't have freezer space for it, so I left it out on the deck. I do this every year, use the deck as an outdoor freezer, and normally it works great. But then we go an get a warm spell. Hmph. I wonder if my MIL has freezer space...

I'll run after work but prolly at the gym. No plows yet and I don't feel like working that hard. A shame to waste a good warm spell though. Should last thru tomorrow.

MustangSally, I'm a dunce so could you explain those LT numbers? How did you get tested?

Hopeful, careful girl! I had a dog plow into me on a trail last year, quite the crash.

Holly, your speed is just napping. Hasn't gone anywhere!

----

evanflein[/URL" target="_blank">

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    23. Nov 20, 2007 12:28 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Mary!!!!!!! Wash your typing finger off with soap!!! Thank goodness you wern't hurt. Stoopid gravity.

quote:

Originally posted by TheProFromDover:

Nothing real two post.
    CRaig

That's never stopped me. Except with RRs of course. At least 18% of the content is based on fact.

I helped unload the cabinets that came too DD#1's house this AM. They best be moved in by Christmas or Santa will miss them. Her baby is due in Feb and I am so looking forward to having a new playmate. They won't let me help with baby names.  We've moved DS's tree house and are going to remodel it for grandkids and me. 9.46 miles today. Though they were slow miles, I loved every step. I've been limping after speed work and there's two races Thursday. It's done wonders for my mood today.

----

SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Nov 26, 2007
    24. Nov 20, 2007 12:29 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Good golly Erika – we spend at least $100 at the grocery store every week, and that’s with me clipping coupons and hitting 2 stores for the sale items.  Of course, we have an extremely well-stocked larder.  DH believes in stocking up when things go on sale.  My freezer in the garage could keep us fed for a month.  As for speed, I hope you’re right.  I’m aiming at a 7:46 pace for the 5-mile race I have Thursday, but that’s based on McMillan’s projected pace when I plugged in my marathon time – and my fitness has diminished since then.  Still, I have high hopes.  I’d like to finish up the season with a PR if I can.

Dg9 – hope you get your internet up at home soon. Don’t know what I’d do with all my time if my computer went down. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Vista – will you have a car while you are in Cincinnati?

----

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    25. Nov 20, 2007 12:31 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

0800 68f
    8mi ez 8:30-ish

[/grumpy on]
    reached the bridge of doom. decided to cross the street bridge to get back to my car, instead of taking the bike only bridge. i passed a guy walking on the sidewalk; he slipped into a big hole and nearly fell off the damn bridge, 30 feet down into the wash. i said "holy sh!t, are you ok?" he grunted, "yeah", got up, and limped off. no sooner had i turned around when i saw mr. mt. bike riding down the damn sidewalk at me. there was about a 6 inch gap between the end of his handlebars and the lane of oncoming cars. i stopped and let him negotiate his way by me. "need a wider bridge." he said "need some sidewalks in this f*cking town" i said, thinking about several things i could say about cyclists with a clue.

no sooner had mr. mt. bike passed me, when another cyclist appeared on the bridge sidewalk. again, no room between his handle bars and the end of the sidewalk. the traffic had passed though, so i jumped into the middle of the road and ran passed him. when i got off the bridge and down to the bike path on the far side, i punched the "no bicycles" sign as hard as i could. it made a nice loud noise.

continuing in my jaded mood: remember that ryan shay's father announced that he would have blood toxicology testing done on his son's body, to quelch the rumors about drug doping. the tests were supposed to have been completed more than 10 days ago....

well??? wtf?

[/grumpy off]

ok, now for something completely different: november in tucson means plenty of tomatoes:

• tselbs Legend 1,208 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Nov 20, 2007 12:34 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Thanks for the nice remarks in response to my race report.

BAP, nice 4 mile race. wa5yom, it's neat you got to run with your daughter in her first race. Having done that, I know how special it is. DH, it's neat hearing about your road trip with DC. opie, that's great that you saw your son and his team win the soccer tournament. skip, sorry to hear about the hip pain from your ultra. Hopefully, a few days of rest will remedy the problem. Nordic, that was a nice, speedy, 10K. hopeful, I'm sorry to hear you took a fall but glad no harm was done.

Nice long runs for hallar, hopeful, CNY, soot (a couple), Fortunate, MustangSally, Evan, sue, tag (and marathon ready), sound, tnally, canfit (with dog), Peter, and Twocat.

As reported by roch and MarkGuy, it was pleasant in southeast Michigan. My temperature was about 50 with just a light breeze. I did a rather lackluster 8 miles in about 1:20 for a 10:00 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Nov 26, 2007
    27. Nov 20, 2007 12:46 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Oh MC - she is TOO CUTE!  I'm jealous about the tomatoes, too - they look yummy.  These grocery store tomatoes are such a let down after the summer of garden tomatoes.

----

• vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Nov 20, 2007 1:00 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Yea........that is a cute little lady there......almost looks like that picture could be used by the tomatoe industry as an ad.

Holly.....to tell you the truth, at this stage I am not sure whether I will have access to a car or not. The team travels separately and they coordinate schedules for the rest of us to get there. We are at that "coordination stage" right now.

----

vista129[/URL" target="_blank">

• Twocat Legend 404 posts since
    Oct 12, 2006
    29. Nov 20, 2007 1:32 PM (in response to hopeful4ever)

Hmm, you all must have a different view of what the phrase "thrashing it out" means than I do.  I have always used it to indicate a deliberate discussion.  Something like, "The board was thrashing out an offer to buy the firm."  That is they had a serious discussion as opposed to a fight.  I actually think my usage is the more common.  If, for example, you go to <a href="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thrashedout" target="_blank">http://www.thefreedictionary.com/thrashedout[/URL" target="_blank"> they define it as, "To discuss fully" which is what I had intended.  Sorry if it was not read that way.

But for the record:  Even commenting by a guy on how guys might want to comment on what actions women should undertake has not apparently lead to really positive responses by at least some of the women.  Which more or less was what I suggested might be the result of any such commenting.     Now I am going to go back and be quite about any and all issues regarding inter-gender communication.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...