Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3048 Views 63 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2007 9:32 PM by ced53 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 26, 2007 11:31 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)
    Re: Sunday 11/25 Boomer Runs

It's all Tramps fault. One of our patriachs disappears for a while and all goes amuck.

[http://This message has been edited by TammyM (edited Nov-25-2007).|http://This message has been edited by TammyM (edited Nov-25-2007).]

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Nov 25, 2007 12:55 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by tallrunner:

Today was my first day of the start of my new racing season. It was not supposed to but once I did an hour easy on my spinning bike and hit the road for an EZ 15 miler, I knew I was focused and ready to start building a "new base" so I can go faster next year.

The focus is to run slow until mid February and build up the miles and aerobic endurance. Yes I will still be doing 2 speed sessions a week, but everything else be slow and long. Tall

Tall, good luck with this, but it sounds as if you think normal training would include more than two speed sessions per week.  What did you used to do, versus what do you plan to do?  Two quality speed sessions per week ought to be ample.   What key changes do you plan to make to your training going forward, other than the important core work you mentioned?   Good luck with it by the way.  It is always fun to see you publish your goals, then go out and destroy them.  Spareribs

• lyndenrunner078 Legend 421 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Nov 25, 2007 1:02 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Nice runnin' Ribs,take it easy it will come back...

Went out for an easy 8 miler but had to keep slowing myself down the whole time,finished up at a 7:35 pace.Missed a PBJ Special by 39 seconds,DRAT!!

----

Gordon
    My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    33. Nov 25, 2007 1:13 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:
    --

<br />Originally posted by Spareribs:<br />Does anyone else run 5 miles in 48 minutes? I am meeting many new people in my club at this pace!<br />Spareribs<br />--

I did at least once ;-). ahh, perspective is everything.

Tramps, what Tammy said!

nice, Peter, Tramps (still), Gordon.

• vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Nov 25, 2007 1:15 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Well......I take a day off and the thread goes ummm.........in a direction we don't want.  Anyway, I loved the concern of everyone to get things back to "normal".

I WILL agree with Holly that in a fight, I want Sally on my side......yikes, you have spirit lady (and I say that with admiration).

Tet......is 46,000 the number of steps on average taken in a marathon? I wondered that and had counted for the first 19 miles of my marathon and then lost count. At that stage I figured I wouldn't go back to the start just to get the count right.

6 miles put in this morning on the hotel treadmill. It is a 2 PM game time and "get away day".

Some good runs there going on with many. Enjoy the rest of the day.

----

vista129[/URL" target="_blank">

• Tramps031 Legend 735 posts since
    Oct 31, 2006
    35. Nov 25, 2007 1:32 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by TammyM:

It's all Tramps fault. One of our patriachs disappears for a while and all goes amuck.

In the interest of forum tranquility, I've bitten my tongue and refrained from inserting the obvious joke here regarding the tone of your message.

That goes for you too, dg9.

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Nov 25, 2007 1:36 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by Tramps:

In the interest of forum tranquility, I've bitten my tongue and refrained from inserting the obvious joke here regarding the tone of your message.

That goes for you too, dg9.

hee.
    you display wisdom beyond your years.
    we're just grouchy because we missed you.
    remember, your beer is in the mail.

• bigapplepie Legend 2,454 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Nov 25, 2007 1:42 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by Spareribs:

I crawled my way through a very slow 5-miler today, grinning all the way. Does anyone else run 5 miles in 48 minutes? I am meeting many new people in my club at this pace!

40's and raining here in Dallas. I am freezing! Spareribs

5 miles in 48 minutes is roughly my current training pace.
    5 miles in 37 minutes is my race pace.

Its 40 degrees in New York so I switched back to shorts and t-shirt.

3 1/3 miles with 3 x 700 meter pickups at 8:15, 7:35 and 7:25 pace.

• Currently Being Moderated
    38. Nov 25, 2007 1:47 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Afternoon folks,

10 miles in 1:30 with three great friends at 8AM when it was 20F--now 45F here- in Western, MA. The light was gorgeous and while we were a bit frosty at the start, we warmed up immediately thanks to the motion and the friendship most of all. My legs felt great even after yesterday's race and this run pushed me over 40 for the week.

PDR-the post about your Dad inspired me to play my father's favorite music as a way to pay tribute to him. Dave Brubeck and Miles Davis all afternoon for me. I know he is groovin' somewhere out there right now--one cool Cat. I hope you have a wonderul afternoon with him.

Good runs all
    CNY

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    39. Nov 25, 2007 1:48 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)
  • DaveinAA035 Legend 742 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    40. Nov 25, 2007 2:07 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

{{{{ Holly }}}} The best way to deal with a venomous insect is to ignore it.

On the other hand, I've never really forgiven tselbs for failing to acknowledge the striders I did on Aug. 5, 2006.

Ribs, thanks for your kind words the other day. You bet I'm frustrated that this injury has dragged on so long, but we've had so many great examples of people who have patiently gone through rehab and returned better than ever -- perchcreek, PDR, rbbmoose, and others -- that complaining about it just seems petty. I'm grateful for every mile I can run right now, and hope to be back to normal training by January. Plenty of time to get ready for you to join us at the Crim.

I wanted to swim today, but got to the Y and realized I'd forgotten my goggles. So, 60 min on the elliptical, with 5x5:00 at tempo effort, HR asymptoting to the mid-160s, with 2:00 rests in between. 100 situps, 3x30s side planks on each side, and stretching.

----

DaveinAA[/URL" target="_blank">

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    41. Nov 25, 2007 2:19 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by predawnrunner:

Ou Dear-old-dad contributed funds to hire a jazz quartet to entertain the residents. I heard a rumor last week that he is going to dedicate the performance to me - which is going to make me weepy.

I love your dad.

Jeanne1
    I will step up to the plate and set the standard for normal in this forum.

Holly, does your son have enough Batman gear??? I worry about him.

Not too long ago, 5 miles in 48 min would have been sweet.

----

SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• enkephalin Legend 243 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Nov 25, 2007 2:35 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Hi All,

Pink Door did not disappoint as I met so many Boomers that I had hitherto known only from their posts, except the lovely Econo whom I met in September. I feel very honoured to be a part of such a wonderful group of people, and am humbled to be even in the presence of someone running their 100th marathon today. GO TET! (I think I forgot to give you a hug...raincheck.)

Tet's new brother was really cool too.

Race details later folks.
    13.1 miles in ???
    All have a nice day.

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. Nov 25, 2007 2:43 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

quote:

Originally posted by DaveinAA:

On the other hand, I've never really forgiven tselbs for failing to acknowledge the striders I did on Aug. 5, 2006.

.......and now that you mention it,
    tnally and those Totally Inappropriate Raking Posts
    have always been a Sore Point with me......

''Sahara Forrest'' indeed.....

it's PayBack Time Dave//...

• choover Legend 1,120 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    44. Nov 25, 2007 2:48 PM (in response to Head Band Bill)

Like Ribs, I've recently been thinking about DaveinAA and how gracefully he seems to be handling his significant time off from running. What a swimmer he has become!  Wow!

Others on this board have been equally as inspirational in dealing with their injuries. I only hope I could do half as well but I'd probably turn into a total whiner. MrChoover has been struggling with some ITBS and I am getting a bit of a taste of this injury stuff first hand through his eyes.

Any how, I ran 3.1 slow miles looking for a glove I dropped yesterday. Pretty pointless trying to find a white glove in the snow.

----

choover[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...