Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2704 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 12:41 AM by djc1225 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Econo011 Legend 1,429 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 30, 2007 11:02 PM (in response to jura)
    Re: Aches, pains and rehab...let's share.

All is right in boomerland.  Jura's back!  

• RunstheBitterroot Legend 591 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    16. Dec 1, 2007 12:26 AM (in response to jura)

Hi Jura!  Welcome back!  Larry

----

"If you see a man running up a mountain trail in Montana with a fly pole attached to his back, you are probably lost. LDD

• predawnrunner Legend 297 posts since
    Oct 17, 2007
    17. Dec 1, 2007 7:10 AM (in response to jura)

Hi Jura - it's so good to hear from you.   So much of your experience rings true with me. And you're provided us with some keen insights into adapting and recovering from injuries - both physically and psychologically.  I'm glad you've got a positive focus now on your recovery, and wish you all the best in coming back. 

Thanks for posting this as a forum for folks dealing with similar issues right now, and as a reminder to the rest of us that we must stop being (stoopid) heroes when we're heading towards another injury.

----

Predawnrunner[/URL" target="_blank">, aka mrs W.R.F. Beer

• tselbs Legend 1,208 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Dec 1, 2007 11:31 AM (in response to jura)

jura, it's too bad you've had such a rough spell.  I'm glad you're back with us now. 

TomS

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• roy c Legend 452 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Dec 1, 2007 1:37 PM (in response to jura)

Jura, welcome back to the real world  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Roy

• roy c Legend 452 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Dec 1, 2007 2:40 PM (in response to jura)

OOOGLY, glad you're back toooo
    Roy

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    21. Dec 2, 2007 12:23 PM (in response to jura)

Jura!! So nice to see you posting again. I've missed you ever since you were a no-show at Bellingham and hadn't heard from you since. Please stick around!

You too, Oogley.... I asked about you in the daily a couple times, wondering what had happened to you and some others we don't hear from. Be careful with that ankle...

My injury problem was last year. 2006 can just go away for all I care... but then again, I learned tons about what I can and cannot do, and how to better prepare myself for all the stoopid things I set my mind to. Like MustangSally, I have this idea of what I should be able to do as when I was younger I seemed to have no limits. But pushing 50... the story has changed.

From shin splints in February, to tendinits in my knee in June, to a sprained ankle in September, I spent 2006 patching up from one injury to get one more race done, then the next few days/weeks in recovery mode. I did more races in sub-par condition than I care to admit, but the worst was the Equinox. During my last long run, I pulled an Oogley on a rutted trail and spent the next three weeks pool running, icing, etc. Thought I was ok to start the race and did ok the first 10 miles, walked the whole last half. Finally, season over, I took a full month off running (ok, prolly should've taken 6-8 weeks) and started back slooooowly on the treadmill (easy to stop and get off if trouble starts). I spent the next couple months building a solid base, and 2007 has been better than I could ever imagine. So, long story short, it took REST and a break from running to finally heal up.

BTW: My vote for this forum's top rehab members goes to Perchcreek for conquering his PF and coming back stronger than ever, and DaveinAA for his amazing patience and determination... running slowly, yeah right... 7:55's?
    And Pool Running is my favorite re-hab plan, even though it's sooo boring.

----

evanflein[/URL" target="_blank">

• lamerunner Pro 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2004
    22. Dec 4, 2007 1:37 PM (in response to jura)

Does pool running work from a training perspective? (assuming I could conquer the boredom) I have been riding my Spining bike and swimming so far...thanks for any info.

• evanflein Legend 1,275 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    23. Dec 4, 2007 4:08 PM (in response to jura)

Lamerunner: Yes! Check out the link on Perchcreek's signature... lots of good info.

----

evanflein[/URL" target="_blank">

• djc1225 Rookie 51 posts since
    Oct 26, 2002
    25. Dec 5, 2007 12:41 AM (in response to jura)

This should make a couple of you feel a little better.  I have been out 3 years with a back injury (non running accident).

I did jump in a couple roadraces last year but wouldn't want to try to train on a daily basis.  Most overuse running injuries just need the right amount of rest to heal though we are too impatient to wait that long though.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...