Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4358 Views 70 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2007 8:32 AM by Tetsujin30 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 4, 2007 11:35 AM (in response to SMP)
    Re: Tuesday 12-4 Boomer Runs

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 8:36 mile pace.

Dark Horse

----

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• enkephalin Legend 243 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Dec 4, 2007 11:52 AM (in response to SMP)

I am in forced no-running mode to heal my achy knees.  It is much harder than I expected to refrain from sneaking out for a run.  I have deep respect for those on the DL trying out new forms of exercise and PT.  I hate any kind of weight training but I think that's what I'll do today, so that I don't go crazy.

Anyway, after looking back over my training log, I think the culprit is the treadmill. Both this time and last time I had knee problems occurred after running a lot of treadmill miles, especially speedwork on the TM. Same volume & intensity mostly outside did not lead to any problems. Anyone care to comment? I always read that TM's were gentler on your knees, but my data do not concur.

Going to treat myself to a new pair of running shoes tomorrow and wrap them up for under the tree!

Happy trails....

• Better than yesterday Legend 767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Dec 4, 2007 12:36 PM (in response to SMP)

Just got off of the phone with my wife.  My oldest son has been having a tough time kicking his cold - no wonder, he has bronchitis. They put him on an antibiotic and he's already asleep - something he needs desparately!

I'm beginning to wonder if I also have bronchitis, and just am not as full of symptoms as I used to be when I got it years ago, because of my improved cardiovascular conditioning.

So my cardio workout today consisted of walking (definitely

walked

, didn't bound up them) up the steps from the ground floor of the office building I work in, to the 7th floor (128 steps up), returning, and repeating, then walking up the 46 steps to the 3rd floor, where I work, for a total of 302 steps up, 256 steps down. I'm going to enter stairclimbing in my log, as I have a friend who does nothing but climb the stairs all winter long, instead of running, and has made some very impressive improvements over the past couple of winters. He also won the annual race up the steps of the 42-story Corning Tower here in Albania's Empire State Plaza, and finished fairly high (no pun intended) in the Empire State Building's competition.

bty

• Soundrunner Legend 408 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    33. Dec 26, 2007 11:35 PM (in response to SMP)

Ended up avoiding the dreadmill and ran 6 outside after all last night.  Rain had temorarily stopped but decided to show who was boss about halfway through.  Presto chango and then to yoga class. It's getting a bit easier to reach those toes again.

Debating what to do tonight. It's my night "off" at home and group track workout I want to take advantage of. Nothing too intense, though.

Dark Horse. Print this baby up and take to the gym for Paulie Boy. Oughta shut him up.

[http://This message has been edited by Soundrunner (edited Dec-04-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Soundrunner (edited Dec-04-2007).]

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    34. Dec 26, 2007 11:35 PM (in response to SMP)

wow - look at that shot! Darkhorse with two brunette hot babes and then ALL the hotties!!

[http://This message has been edited by TammyM (edited Dec-04-2007).|http://This message has been edited by TammyM (edited Dec-04-2007).]

• SueT48 Legend 319 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. Dec 4, 2007 1:28 PM (in response to SMP)

Thanks, dg9!  The puppy is doing well - she's one incredibly smart dog.  She's keeping me on my toes, and I live for the days that she goes to puppy kindergarten.   She sleeps all afternoon after an hour of class ;-).

{{{{{{{Ilene's cat}}}}}}}} - you definitely have my sympathy. It's not fun trying to dose kitties. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

Tramps - the kitty picture is wonderful - great pic!

----

Sue

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    36. Dec 4, 2007 1:38 PM (in response to SMP)

(psst - soundie... how many weightlifter-guys do you know?  my take is that dh was getting hit on.  again.  not that there's anything wrong with that.)

• Better than yesterday Legend 767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Dec 4, 2007 1:40 PM (in response to SMP)

I'm most impressed by the hughness of DH's right hand in the first picture, and the incredible length of his left arm in the second picture.

• Currently Being Moderated
    38. Dec 4, 2007 1:59 PM (in response to SMP)

5.5 miles today in the flurries and wind. Really wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, because the sun was peaking out every so often.

Ran with another runner who was much slower than me, and for all that I tried to slow down to match him, it was actually harder on me to go that slow. He said he was trying a shorter stride to break him of his heel-strike habit and keep his knees happy. Seemed to me he was using more energy in this method than it was worth, since he couldn't talk (comfortably or otherwise) as we were running. Don't know if I broke any running etiquette rules, but I broke off for a long-stride dash a couple times, just because my legs were screaming for the stretch and exertion. We're planning to run together again on Monday, so I guess he doesn't hate me that much. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/redface.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/redface.gif|border=0!

Like the Batman tree and poem, SteveP, very funny. Though I did know a guy once who had a Batman thing going for him, his name was Don. snork

Well wishes to all who are rehabbing (cats included), and good runs to all!

----

....still breathing...

E.

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    39. Dec 4, 2007 2:17 PM (in response to SMP)

Quick post, back to read later...

Just back from 8.36 miles in 1:07:40, average pace 8:06. Splits were
    7:54 / 7:47 / 8:30 / 8:47 /
    8:46 / 8:22 / 7:35 / 7:31 / 6:44 (short lap).

Can you tell I got the Garmin working? The middle miles were on a trail with 1-2 inches hard snow. You can tell.

-CAkrg

• millbot Legend 635 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Dec 4, 2007 2:30 PM (in response to SMP)

quote:

Originally posted by RunsTheBitterroot:

Will be driving to St. George, Utah in a bit and stay over night there and perhaps do another short run. Lots of hills and trails there that will work magic with my legs.

Hey Larry, when you're passing through Utah County, maybe we could get together for lunch, or a short run? If you want to try to meet, email me at msteed68 at gmail dot com.

Happy travels!

• dg9005 Legend 1,324 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Dec 26, 2007 11:35 PM (in response to SMP)

hi milling bot!  i recently received the new version of ben benjamin's book.  it has an added section in the back, seems worth it..  although it also seems it might contradict something he said originally (& left in the book).  i may see if i can e-mail him.

[http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Dec-04-2007).|http://This message has been edited by dg9 (edited Dec-04-2007).]

• millbot Legend 635 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Dec 4, 2007 2:47 PM (in response to SMP)

Hey dg9, I got my copy last week too, but I haven't looked at it yet.  What's the contradiction?

• vista129 Legend 800 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    43. Dec 4, 2007 3:05 PM (in response to SMP)

5.03 miles ..........nicely over my goal.

If this Cool Running site folds......we probably won't all make it over to the "other side". Being one who always likes to keep his affairs in order and up to date....."it was nice knowing all of you."

----

vista129[/URL" target="_blank">

• Holly S. Legend 1,828 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    44. Dec 4, 2007 3:25 PM (in response to SMP)

quote:

Originally posted by Better than yesterday:

I'm most impressed by the hughness of DH's right hand in the first picture, and the incredible length of his left arm in the second picture.

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

So much I could say here....

Dg9 - sorry to hear you are sidelined temporarily, but sometimes the only answer is rest.

----

Holly[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...