Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1211 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2007 10:13 AM by pbakwin RSS
timlooney019 Pro 354 posts since
Nov 1, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2007 2:57 PM

New York City

I am going to be in New York City staying at the Marriott in mid-town in early June.  Any suggestions on places to run?

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. May 9, 2007 3:45 PM (in response to timlooney019)
    Re: New York City

There's this little known place I discovered on a trip to NYC once...it's called CENTRAL PARK.   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

I'm not from NYC so really I just responded to be a pain!  I've heard Battery Park is pretty good as well, but CP is a wonderful place to run with some good hills.

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 9, 2007 4:02 PM (in response to timlooney019)

if you're there 1st weekend of june, nyrr has a 4 miler in the park you can check out.  2nd weekend is women's only 10k.  full loop of park will give you a nice 6+ mile workout.
    http://www.nyrr.org/races/2007/calendar/june.asp[/URL" target="_blank">
    have fun!

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. May 9, 2007 7:03 PM (in response to timlooney019)

What Weekend Tim??

June 1-3?
    or
    June 8-10?

I'll be in Vermont Both Weekends. Its about a 5 hour drive to where I'll be but you're welcome to join me for some hiking the weekend of the 1st.

• Altair Rookie 40 posts since
    Feb 9, 2006
    5. May 9, 2007 8:27 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Nobody mentioned running along the Hudson? You can go from mid-town down to the Battery without a traffic light. I'm not sure how far north it goes.

• girlunfurled Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 12, 2006
    6. May 9, 2007 8:36 PM (in response to timlooney019)

A few choices on the island-- around the edge or in Central Park. Depends on how far you want to run-- Central Park has a some nice loops as mentioned above. I usually run down the lower east side-- just follow the water, around the tip and up the west side along the Hudson.  The east side is not terribly attractive, the tip is nicer but slightly confusing and you'll need to weave a little, the west side is a straight shot and really great on several long stretches. You can go up to somewhere in the 100s, but I've only taken it as high as 96th-- cut in through the upper west side and into the part and then run downtown through the park.

If you 're midtown, I'd run to the west side to the river and run up one day and then come down through the park. On another day, run to the river and run down to the tip-- if you're feeling adventurous, weave through downtown back to your hotel.

It'll be a great way to see the city.

• Sightseer66 Rookie 79 posts since
    Jun 5, 2006
    7. May 10, 2007 8:20 AM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by altair:

Nobody mentioned running along the Hudson? You can go from mid-town down to the Battery without a traffic light. I'm not sure how far north it goes.

Hi Tim,

I'd recommend this, there are vendors along the way and the occasional bathroom. If you have the time, I'd go around Battery Park, run up to the bridges on the east side, and go out and back on the Brooklyn Bridge.

'Course the ultra badasses put some rocks in their shoes and run out to Montauk and back, but hey, we don't all have the time...

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. May 10, 2007 9:00 AM (in response to timlooney019)

if you venture down to the bklyn bridge, don't pass up setting foot on the bklyn side and heading over to the promenade.  it's only a few blocks from the foot of the bridge and well worth the extra effort.  some great views of the city to inspire you before heading back.

• beard o bees Rookie 36 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 10, 2007 9:32 AM (in response to timlooney019)

I live in midtown. I can give you a tour of CP or the West Side down to Battery Park, where you can see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Let me know. Hopefully, I'll have recovered from MMT by then.

Brennen

• mudrunner040 Rookie 375 posts since
    May 27, 2004
    10. May 12, 2007 9:00 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Dude...I was just staying at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square. Central Park is your best choice as it's reasonably close.
    You could also make a bee-line to the West Side & run down one of the lower roads (the one that goes past Javits Center) all the way to Battery Park in Lower Man.

• pbakwin Rookie 17 posts since
    Nov 5, 2006
    11. May 15, 2007 10:13 AM (in response to timlooney019)

NYC Transit Authority publishes an amazing free
    map of bike trails throughout the metro area. These
    will be mainly paved paths. They are responsive to
    requests for the map by mail -- it only took a week
    for me to get one. You can see the pdf version &
    get the contact info here:
    http://www.transalt.org/info/maps.html#nyccycling[/URL" target="_blank">
    Also shows mass transit lines.  Great resource.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...