Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1400 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2007 2:15 PM by Tim Fager RSS
chesapeakeblend Rookie 43 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2007 10:56 AM

Catoctin Trail 50k Status?

Does anyone know if this race is going down this year?  I have been prepping for a while for this race.

The application was supposed to be online June 1, but it is still reading the same message.

I am just wondering if I should be looking for a different race.

Thanks,

Mike

• Caren Jew Rookie 25 posts since
    Sep 10, 2006
    1. Jun 6, 2007 12:04 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)
    Re: Catoctin Trail 50k Status?

Try e-mailing the RD.  I had heard through the grapevine that the race was iffy this year, but at least the date's still up, just no app. yet.

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    3. Jun 6, 2007 12:24 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)

i'm planning on this 50M the first weekend in Aug, in the general area. There is a 50K option as well:
    http://www.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/[/URL" target="_blank">

Aug 15, 2007
    5. Jun 6, 2007 1:01 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)

was it not on trails? I thought it was when i looked at it. you can tell i did not look very closely  I was just happy to find a race in driving distance a few weeks prior to my next 100 miler 

• phredmur Rookie 72 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 6, 2007 2:36 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)

It's not your typical trail race, but it's not paved roads either according to the description.

Course Description
    50-Mile- The course will begin on the Madeira School grounds. Staying primarily on running and horseback riding trails, it will meander through the campus and out into the thickly wooded area surrounding the campus. Runners will face a steep, downhill set of single track stairs, as well as a steep cutback area on the campus before reaching a river crossing leading to the State and County Parks. Upon crossing the river, the runners will run along the scenic, winding Potomac River where it will stretch for miles. At this point, runners will complete various different loops throughout the State and County Parks on a variety of terrains from single track trails to wide gravel roads. The course eventually loops back to the Madeira School grounds, where runners will once again cross the river, back to the finish in the same place it all started a mere 8 to 12 hours earlier.

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    8. Jun 6, 2007 4:26 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)

thanks, Merideth! I'm going to try to get off work that Saturday so I can do the 50 miler since it is close to me. This event has not been advertised that well.

Aug 15, 2007
    9. Jun 6, 2007 4:58 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)

I know! i just registered and it asked me for my shoe size, do we get shoes???   

It fit perfectly in my training schedule. I was pretty happy about it. There were some full page ads in running magazines about the event. Nothing that i saw in UR mag though.

I get so depressed when there are no races in the summer, this will be great!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you again, hopefully we can hang out the night before. Durt is going to go too.

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    11. Jun 7, 2007 2:15 PM (in response to chesapeakeblend)

M, asked my boss off for that Saturday. He said it's too early to ask off that Saturday. He said we(him and I) may be able to trade work loads if worse came to worse.........That may mean 2-3 days trade for that 1 saturday off. That's a high price.

You said "I get so depressed when there are no races in the summer, this will be great!!!!!". M, I'm signed up for Highlands 40 next Saturday. Finger Lakes 50 and the end of the month, Turkey Swamp 50k(New Jersey) Aug 11, The Baker Challenge(50 miler) Aug 25(local PA race). Sept 8 Groundhog Fall 50K(another PA race). There's another 50 miler in October in upper central PA. I'm looking forward to Turkey Swamp since it will give me an opportunity to visit my sister(she lives less than an hour from Turkey Swamp Park).

I'll see you in New York at the Finger Lakes 50 races in a couple of weeks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...