Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1255 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2007 12:38 PM by merigayle
merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2007 11:28 AM

Another Fingerlake 50's race report!

Fingerlake 50's Race Report
June 30th, 2007

This was my second year running this race. Last year was a crazy mud slog which destroyed my feet. It was a great time, with a big party after, and i walked away with an award for 1st in my age group. I was looking forward to returning for another year and hoping for better trail conditions.

Friday's drive from Southeastern PA took a bit longer than anticipated and my legs and butt hurt from all the driving. I met up with Linda and her family at the KOA in Watkins Glen, NY and awaited Ingrid's arrival. We then went to pick up our race packets at the start/finish line. Chris Reynolds, the race director, remembered me and it was great to see her again. Her and her husband are two of the nicest people. After packet pick up we met up with Dave and his wife at a brewery for dinner. The food was okay (at least mine was just okay) but the company was great! We had a blast and a half, but it started to get late and Dave and I had a 6:30am race start. The 25k'ers (Ingrid and Linda) started at 8 am.

Off to bed I went. Sleep did not really happen. My arms kept falling asleep on the hard cabin mattress. Every time i woke up and rolled around in bed trying to get comfortable, Ingrid would tell me the time, she was not sleeping so well either! At 4:30am we finally got up for real. I heated up some coffee on the camping stove Linda brought with them and got dressed. It was a cool morning with temps in the upper 40's for the morning.

At the race start, everyone was milling around eating breakfast. I had a granola bar and got my drop bag and everything else settled in. I met up with Dave and a bunch of his friends and a bunch of people from Coolrunning.com.

The start of the race was anticlimatic as we started down the dirt road thru the park. After a short jog, we made a hard right turn into the woods for a single track trail. Dave and I ran together for the first hour or so, which was nice. Last year this first section was so muddy and wet that my feet were soaked 10 minutes into the race. This year was starting off much better!

After a little time in the woods, the trail turn onto a dirt road where we run downhill for quite a while towards the first aid station. After the aid station is the big, steep climb thru the woods. I forgot about it and was worried that Linda would curse me when she got to this section since i told her the trail was pretty flat! ack!

The course continues thru woods, alternating with cow pastures. At one point, there was a cow right next to me, hiding behind a shrub. It scared me as it moo'ed when i ran by. With just a few miles to go, I was thinking about how hard it was last year and how at this point in the race, the 25K leader passed me and how happy i was that it had not happened this year. I must have thought too soon, because before long, the number one and number two 25K'ers passed me.

And then the turning point in my race happened. There were these boardwalk/planks that were on the trail over muddy sections. As i was running towards one, i misstepped or slipped (i am really not too sure) and went down hard. I got up and my right leg was gashed open in two place and starting to swell. My right knee was also busted open. The two runners behind me made some odd joke and left me on the trail. I did my best not to cry, as my eyes welled up. My leg hurt so bad and it was getting more swollen by the minute. I walked for about 5 minutes before i shuffled and then ran again. Every time my foot hit the ground i was in serious pain. But before long i was at the start finish line and tried to look forward to the second loop. My time for the first loop was around 3:15.

I refilled my handheld and took a slice of watermelon and continued down the trail. I was in so much pain and my calf swelled to the size of an orange. I was concerned that i probably should not keep running on it, but decided to just play it by ear. Shortly thereafter, a nice man started to run with me. I showed him my leg and he said "it must really hurt every time you take a step, huh?" YES! YES it does! And then he said "once i fell and hurt my ribs and it hurt every time i breathed. It really sucks to run and be in that kind of pain." it was nice to have someone validate my pain. I took some advil at the first aid station and started to feel better. The caffienated clif blocks helped too!

The weather started to get hot and I was just hoping for the finish sooner than later. The hills always get bigger the second time around and the miles always get longer! It is a physical mystery. Happens at all loop races. For the last few miles, i was really happy to start passing runners. I passed 4 or 5 runners in the last hour and that was a good ego boost. Unfortunately at one point the 50 mile leader and number 2 runners passed me on my second loop!

My goal for the race was 6:30-7:00, last year's time was 7:38. I knew 6:30 was out of reach, maybe if i had not fallen and walked and taken it slow for a while after, but not on this day. I did think i could get a sub 7 and really worked it in for a strong, fast finish in 6:48--- 50 minutes faster than last year and first in age group again.

Ingrid finished 1st masters in the 25K and Linda kicked *** on her first 25K trail race! After the race was a big party and we just hung out, ate some food, and compared war wounds. Good time was had by all. Looking forward to next year already!

llgallagher, me, Ingrid, dg1 post race

Part of the Coolrunning crew
runsdangerously, runnertim, me, dg1

my legs

• timlooney019 Pro 354 posts since
    Nov 1, 2002
    1. Jul 3, 2007 11:37 AM (in response to merigayle)
    Re: Another Fingerlake 50's race report!

Ouch.  Great race and report.  Huge PR!!

----

“Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” -
    T.S. Eliot as quoted in the participants guide for the Western States Endurance Run.

timlooney[/URL" target="_blank">

my WS100 blog[/URL" target="_blank">

• elaineVT Rookie 14 posts since
    Jan 6, 2004
    2. Jul 3, 2007 12:53 PM (in response to merigayle)

Well done ultra running goddess!!
    !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

poor leg!!! owch, that looks uber-hurty!

it wa so nice to finally pop in here after a million months off and see your race report front and center!

WHOOT for Meri!!!

peace
    e

• elaineVT Rookie 14 posts since
    Jan 6, 2004
    4. Jul 3, 2007 1:09 PM (in response to merigayle)

quote:

Originally posted by merigayle:

you were missed! Chris asked for you!!!!

Love those folks!

way to go--STOMPING your FLF PR!

still have to call last years crazy hotel people about my ipod.
    can you email me the name or number again??

hugs and mittens
    e

• kateMD Rookie 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 3, 2007 10:53 PM (in response to merigayle)

Ouch.  So it appears that the secret to a 50 minute PR is to fall?!    Lordy, Lordy.

Kate

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jul 4, 2007 5:55 AM (in response to merigayle)

great report merigayle! 
    how lame of those two runners to joke and just pass you by after that fall. arrgh! when i took my second spill during the second loop, the guy behind me said, "i saw that one coming!" yeah right... must have been something in the air!
    awesome that you didn't let it hold you back from second loop. great job!

b/t/w - it was even cooler that you guys went to a brewery friday night (was it the one at north end of route 414)?  tim and i were totally psyched about stonecat - thinking it was somehow connected w/stone cat ale brewery in mass.  we looked like disappointed little kids when it turned out to be "just a restaurant" - haha.  emmy thought we were nuts!

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    8. Jul 4, 2007 9:18 AM (in response to merigayle)

I didn't "run" across any of those sarcastic runners in the race. Usually I talk to them after the finish. Stupid comments like those from them can give you a boost.

• RunLongVT Rookie 161 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Jul 5, 2007 9:34 AM (in response to merigayle)

Way to hang tough on a difficult day.  Amazing how quickly things can go from just another lovely day in the woods to a suffering slog, isn't it?  Heal quickly and hope to see you out there again soon!

• RunLongVT Rookie 161 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jul 5, 2007 12:21 PM (in response to merigayle)

Way to hang tough on a difficult day.  Amazing how quickly things can go from just another lovely day in the woods to a suffering slog, isn't it?  Heal quickly and hope to see you out there again soon!

• crunningman Rookie 918 posts since
    Jun 7, 2002
    11. Jul 5, 2007 12:31 PM (in response to merigayle)

merig - Very nice report.  And you picked up some hardware as well.   As in the dings on your legs.  Kind of reminds me of me during a few races when I've taken spills.  Somehow you just pop up and run through the short lived pain. 

Great finish and pics as well. You look very fit by the way.
    Craig[/URL" target="_blank">

• Chris1234008 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jul 10, 2007 11:34 AM (in response to merigayle)

Great race report! This was my third year running the 25K. I don't typically run trail races (or training runs on trails for that matter) but I do like this race and am up that way for vacation that week anyway. Way to push through with the injury. That wasn't cool of the other runners to joke about it.

I agree about the conditions. Last year was a total mud bath. At one point I recall being knee deep in mud and water in a cow pasture just inched from a cow patty the size of an extra large pizza. The trail was perfect this year and the weather was nice and cool.

I got through the race uninjured but went in with a pretty painful rib injury. I ran Grandmas Marathon two weeks prior. A few days after the marathon I had difficulty breathing and deep breaths were impossible as the pain was so severe in my lower back. The doc said I probably had a ligament pull or tear around my ribs and put me on naproxin (anti inflammatory) and warned me not to run for a while, especially a trail race. Of course I couldn't follow that order and ran anyway.

The result...it hurt up to the race and during so I took it easy the whole way. The next day I had absolutely no pain. Zero. Zip. I even stopped the naproxin. I think maybe all the motion of the trail knocked my spine back into place. Could that be possible ?

How much of a step up is it to do the 50K as opposed to the 25K ? I am comfortable with marathon distance (have run 7 and training for my 8th -Chicago) but I don't do much trail running.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...