Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2302 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2007 12:29 PM by 2slow4u RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
snailrunner080 Rookie 76 posts since
May 26, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2007 6:08 PM

ultrarunning and alcohol

I have some ultrarunner buddies who seem to drink too much. Okay, what is too much? I cannot really tell you, but in my view they seem to have a thing for beer, beer, beer, more wine, whiskey, etc.Is this common, is this normal? Just curious.
Related question, is it okay to have 3 or 4 beers after a run, no matter how long it is? What do you think?

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    1. Jul 6, 2007 6:09 PM (in response to snailrunner080)
    Re: ultrarunning and alcohol

I do not drink any alcohol, but that was a decision i made prior to ultrarunning. 

• markc7079 Rookie 190 posts since
    Sep 7, 2002
    2. Jul 6, 2007 6:15 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

I doubt that ultrarunners are any more likely to overindulge than any other segment of the population.  I personally  don't drink while I'm training for a goal race, but I like to reward myself with a beer or three after finishing.

----

Mark

Vegan 100 Miler[/URL" target="_blank">

• dfcameron Rookie 124 posts since
    Apr 5, 2007
    3. Jul 6, 2007 6:24 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Actually I know a few former alcoholics or whatever they'd call themselves that traded one over-indulgence for another (ultrarunning).

Aside from that, though, I think its an "all in moderation" thing.  I'll periodically have a couple glasses of wine, or a mixed drink with dinner - and run great the next day.  On the flip side, one time; when I knew I was going to lose my job and was sole supporter for a family of four - I overindulged and got mildly drunk.   The next day, I did not feel like running.  2 days later I ran as normal.  But... I didn't make that sort of behavior a habit.

• Tim Fager Rookie 239 posts since
    Nov 26, 2007
    4. Jul 6, 2007 7:24 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Mr. Snail, I love a nice cold beer after an ultra. My weight I can only handle 2 at most or I will be way loopy. Some people can drink a lot and run well. I'm not one.

I wouldn't worry about anyone but yourself. You can't control what other people do in their lives.

• kateMD Rookie 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Dec 27, 2007 1:30 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

From a medical standpoint if you're a guy and drink more than 3 alcoholic beverages a day (2 for women) the health risks out weigh any neutral or beneficial effects.  Those limits are what I would define as "moderation."

Problem drinkers can come from every facet of society and the ultra running community is probably not an exception. I've noticed that problem drinkers tend to find each other and hang around in groups so that their habits appear to be "normal" behavior within the group.

KateMD

[http://This message has been edited by kateMD (edited Jul-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by kateMD (edited Jul-06-2007).]

Nov 26, 2007
    7. Jul 6, 2007 9:07 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

snail, I have never seen any runner slam down 3,4,5 beers after an ultra. I think most would be vomiting if they did that.

KateMD says that problem drinkers tend to hang out with each other to look and feel normal. You said your ultra buddies seem to drink to much. If what she says is true does that leave you with a guilty conscious? ie. are you worried about your own drinking habits?

• dg1033 Rookie 138 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 6, 2007 9:27 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Are we still going to have a beer or two after JFK? 

• rootsrunner Rookie 236 posts since
    Jun 28, 2006
    9. Jul 6, 2007 10:13 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

I get your question.

It would be hard for me to generalize about the entire ultrarunning scene as I've only seen a small bit. (Less than a dozen ultras under my belt.)

In my experience, I do okay having a beer or two the night before a race. Actually, its part of my routine. Same goes for a marathon race too. Its mostly in a social setting and after all the gear is in place. The nightcap helps me sleep as I am normally very amped up for a big ultra event. Looking back, I probably have more drinks the night before a run than afterwards.

FWIW, If the only choice were coors or miler light then I probably would not drink.

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    11. Jul 6, 2007 11:03 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

A couple of StPauli girl beers is ok after a run!
    no really, I drank more, well not a lot, but I used to enjoy drinking but I found that when I started doing more miles per week and eating well I didnt enjoy drinking that much anymore, it is like I feel more in tune with my body and it just likes good stuff now. I still like a beer or some good wine now and again but one is about my limit. It really wasnt a decision I made it is just that I think my body changed when I started running a lot more. Even caffeine affects me way more (sweet during a long race!) But after a long hot humid run a beer is awesome. But just one, after that its not enjoyable as much.

Nov 26, 2007
    12. Jul 7, 2007 5:13 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

snail, not happy with your post???? huh? I just replied to what KateMD said. Don't twist that around my friend.

Snail, if you think you have a drinking problem then you should get help from a professional not on a message board.

Nov 26, 2007
    13. Jul 7, 2007 5:25 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

Mr. Snail, me thinks you are in denial...............Please get help for your overindulgence in alcoholic beverages. First step is admitting you have a problem. ie. getting through your denial.

• rundangerously Amateur 216 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jul 7, 2007 7:11 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

before ultras i was such a clean cut, straight arrow.  now i drink beer, use expletives, and worst of all - eat JUNK FOOD!  can't hardly stand myself  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/tongue.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/tongue.gif|border=0!
    i'm w/you snail, can't tell you how sick i am of crossing those finish lines and having to wade through all the empty bottles of jack daniels and johnny walker - just to reach that poland spring water.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...