Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2188 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2007 12:29 PM by 2slow4u RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • exciton Rookie 317 posts since
    Nov 2, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jul 9, 2007 4:23 PM (in response to snailrunner080)
    Re: ultrarunning and alcohol

Snailypoo,

We ultra-weirdos are the hippies of the running world. When you find yourself among US, you know you are scraping the bottom of the running barrel. I like beer very much. Like Karl Meltzer, I look at it as part of my carb maintenance program. Unlike Karl, I do not enjoy vodka and Red Bull. Of course, I'm not sponsored by Red Bull ... or by anyone else really.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    31. Jul 9, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

I like beer and I really like tequila. I know in my own heart that I can justify that extra drink or two....or three....since I'm going to be running (insert appropriate (any) mileage here) tomorrow. I wonder if other runners think the same. Heck, most of us are probably pretty trim. What the hell, have another BEER!

• RRainey Rookie 98 posts since
    Mar 29, 2007
    33. Jul 10, 2007 10:27 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

To each his/her own-My idea of hell no drinking and a vegan diet.

• cgerber Pro 195 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    34. Jul 10, 2007 10:46 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

quote:

Originally posted by beard o bees:

No denial here. I love beer. Belgians. Imperials. Barley wines. Doubles. Old ales. The strong stuff. I find it enjoyable having some nice beers after a long training run or a race. Perhaps my greatest disappointment in going to Utah for Wasatch is that the beer is so frickin' weak.

Brennen

I'll second both of those sentiments (good strong beer and Utah water, er beer)!

I love a cold beer or two or three after a long run...

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    35. Jul 10, 2007 12:13 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

Hmmm - I love running - I love beer - Sounds like a group has that covered - Hash House Harriers  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

The fact that many ultras serve beer afterward must be because of some kindof demand for it??

I would guess that the distribution of ultra runners abusing alchohol is about the same as the rest of the USA -

• salad1 Rookie 49 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    36. Jul 10, 2007 5:26 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

i had my first 50 mile week ever this year... my wife praised me for at last running as many miles in a week as I had consumed sierra nevadas...

by the way, since sierra has gone to pry-offs ive lost the calluses on my left thumb.

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Jul 10, 2007 5:37 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

McNaughton Park 100... The Running Buffalo aid station had a mini keg of Coors Light.. that was Great at Miles 49,50, 59, 60, 69, 70....

And just recently at the Pittsfield Peaks Ultra... the Slovakians had Urquel Pilsner at their aid station (Mile 34) and it was amazinglin refreshing...

And then later in the same race at the Sable aid station (Mile get me the hell outta here) I enjoyed some Long Trail Ale... and then 2 more cups of that at the Finish Line...

::burb::

• Stagger Lee Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 18, 2005
    38. Dec 27, 2007 1:31 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

I'm comfortable with knocking back 4 - 6 12oz beers each night.  I train, I eat, I drink and sometimes I sleep.  I'll go easy before a long run or none at all pre-race night, but otherwise I think of beer as another food group and think little of slamming down a whey shake with a beer chaser.  (4:1, carb : protein)    !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

Some observations on over indulgences : decreased heat tolerance, irratable bowel, HR limits seem to decrease.

[http://This message has been edited by Stagger Lee (edited Jul-16-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Stagger Lee (edited Jul-16-2007).]

• bulkington Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Jul 16, 2007 4:45 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

quote:

Originally posted by dfcameron:

Actually I know a few former alcoholics or whatever they'd call themselves that traded one over-indulgence for another (ultrarunning).

I think that touches on an important point. I haven't personally met or seen any ultrarunners who drink excessively, but as an ultrarunner and an ex-drunk, I see the relationship. I doubt there are very many ultrarunners who couldn't name several acquaintances who are compulsive about running to the degree that the word "addiction" comes to mind. It's not to say that ultrarunners are all compulsive running addicts, but that within the running community, I think ultras probably attract addictive personalities at a pretty high rate. And with groups like hashers around, it'd be easy for someone to be disordered in two activities at once.

In my experience, moderation is a relative term. The quantity a person drinks doesn't always determine whether or not they are alcoholic. If someone knocks back 36 ounces of beer after a six hour run in the heat, I don't assume anything about a drinking problem. More telling to me is the pattern of their drinking, the degree to which their lives might be arranged around drinking, and how disruptive it is for that person to not drink.

Rephrase your question: Is it okay to have three or four beers? For some people, yes; for others, no.

• upheeler Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Jul 17, 2007 8:30 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

Bulkington,,,nicely put. I think it's all about addictive tendencies, whether running or drinking. It's not the amount, it's how much you choreograph your life (without regard to others) to support your habit.

• edbill069 Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 3, 2003
    41. Jul 17, 2007 9:35 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

ahem......My name is Bill and I'm an Ultra runner...I love the idea that we can have our RA meetings out on the trails...and enjoy the fresh air and cameraderie of a social group..

Funny but I can't think fo a single one of my ultra buddies who embibe in more than one or two...and that's only after a big race...maybe one the night before a hunrun to settle the nerves...

me I'm a reformed guzzler of anything fermented or distilled or smokable for that matter...and have to stay away..I envy those who can have that one drink or one cigarette or whatever...since I still like the taste of beer....Odouls is my fave and does the trick as long as I don't have more that 2...I get bloated and thick in the head....

• upheeler Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    42. Jul 17, 2007 11:45 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

(All together now)  Hiiiiiiiiiii Bill.

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    43. Jul 18, 2007 11:29 AM (in response to snailrunner080)

Hiiiii Bill - I am Mikey "The Pig" and recoverying from everything that I have deemed evil.  The only reason I am in control of alchohol is because it interferes with my addiction to running. 

So the question I have is how many ultra runners DON"T have an excessive cumpulsive or addictive personality?

If 1 mile is good isn't 50 better and 100 even better?

• 2slow4u Rookie 34 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Jul 18, 2007 12:29 PM (in response to snailrunner080)

I'm in the "addictive personality" group.  I've dipped tobacco for over 25 years (yeah, gross), and I've struggled with alchohol in the past.  I just thank the good Lord I never tried drugs.  I feel pretty certain I would be dead or in jail if I had.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...