Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2415 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2007 1:41 AM by wally__78 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • rolyone Rookie 1,084 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 1, 2007 10:13 AM (in response to RunLongVT)
    Re: Jay Ultimate XC Marathon

Great Report RunLongVT.

I'll be back next year. loved this race.

Roly

• Sightseer66 Rookie 79 posts since
    Jun 5, 2006
    17. Aug 1, 2007 6:19 PM (in response to RunLongVT)

Excellent run and report, RunLong, you really did a nice job capturing the flavor of the run, and that picture is great!  If that were me, that would be the first race picture I'd ever consider buying.

I came in a few minutes under eight hours, also a time on feet racing record for me. Good prep for the VT50, I hope, and I learned a few things about drop bags.

Couple of thoughts:

How long was this thing anyway?  33?  The finish didn't feel like three miles from that last water station, two and a half perhaps, but maybe that station wasn't really exactly at 30.  Any Garmin wearers out there?  It would be nice if they could settle on a length, not just because it begs the question from relatives, How long is your next marathon?.  33 1/3 would be nice, a third of 100, and kind of old school.  The paces given in the results seem to be figured on 31 miles.

Speaking of old school, was the shirt designed in the 70's?    The giant black triangle screened on there kind of defeats the purpose of the wicking shirt.

Anyone who finished in the rain, you are made of tough stuff! That was a downpour!

How many went down? I saw a few nasty falls in the water and decided to slow down there and play it safe. However, I still managed a complete somersault later after tripping on a little tree stump on the trail.

Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger!! No Coke, Pepsi!
    How about a few veggie burgers next year, huh?

• CT Marathoner Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Aug 3, 2007 4:19 PM (in response to RunLongVT)

healthyrunner -to post a pic, you have to download your digital-computer photos into a program like photobucket.com  - just sign up on the website and download the photos you want from your computer.
    Then copy the URL symbol the way the cool code says to.

RunLong - will see you in the fall -hopefully VT 50, and Stone cat and may do Brunswick, ME 50 miler (10/20).  I would love to do the Sept 9 Pigshah (sp) 50K but have a school commitment.

• auldgrey Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 3, 2007
    20. Aug 3, 2007 5:06 PM (in response to RunLongVT)

Dear Jayrunners
    I ran the marathon with a couple of friends and afterwards we were trying to figure out how you'd convey the nature of the course to a third party. For this race, distance was irrelevant, be it thirty three miles, or the thirty point three it was apparently logged at by two runners with GPS: it may as well have been twenty or forty miles: it was all about the ruggedness of the terrain. Had we known the intensity of it beforehand, we would all have been appropriately intimidated, but, as it was we were just gettinga kick out of what lay around each upcoming corner and were simply running in the moment, just like kids in many ways.

Someone was asking about training for this event. I think if you're in decent marathon condition you can do it, but just don't go out trying to run it at marathon pace: I agree with LongrunnerVT that those bottlenecks and slow-trains were protecting your legs rather than impeding your time.

Anyway, here's how I prepped for jays.

For this, I only did two hill workouts, but they were substantial and each replicated the Jays mountain aspect of the course. One's a Spring race in Massachusetts called the Seven Sisters race, a twelve miler, which I ran early on in my training and the other was an intense 13mile mountain workout which a friend and I used as our last "long" run two weeks prior to Jays.
    Otherwise I was running to and from and about Central Park in NYC, trying to run hard at anything up to twelve miles to improve cardio fitness, but running really slowly on progressively longer runs at the weekends. My longest long run was 23 miles. During the last month of training my weekly mileage was in the forties and culminated in the low-fifties. I also added a weekly interval workout during the last month.

One thing which helped me a lot was doing a leg-workout at the gym a couple of times a week using as many stations as possible followed by stretching. I'd do this directly after my shorter runs: it's a pretty good cool-down and I think it keeps your legs in a harmonious state.

I trained with a heart-rate monitor specifically to learn how to keep my work-rate down so I'd know how to stay low in the fat-burning zone for those long runs.

I tried several endurance fuel potions and concoctions but settled with a Hammer product, Ultra Endurance Fuel, Plain, mixed rich in the camel-back and supplemented with water from a hand-held bottle. A few sips of the fuel every twenty minutes and a mouthful or two of water was enough to get me to AS 6 at Jays (24 miles), where I had a refill in my drop-bag. Though, I did also take some banana pieces and pretzels and a cup or two of the Heed electrolyte drink at most of the stops.

Nutrition also played a key part in my training. Following Dean Karnazes glowing example, I cut simple sugar and bad fats out of my weekly diet with a goal of reducing my body's dependency upon simple sugars and cutting some of the surplus weight that I didn't want my knees to be coping with on those potentially crippling Jays descents. I resolutely avoid sugar and gatorade as though they're poison when running long... which, in effect, they can be.

I wore just the one pair of Brooks cascadia trail shoes for the race and used Ultimax cool mesh socks, which I changed at the two drop-bag aid stations. The shoes seemed to do the trick: lightweight, an aggressive tread with great grip (if somewhat lacking in support through the slippery brook sections) and with a very effective drainage system which meant no sploshing after getting out of the water. If these shoes had a gel inset in the ball of the foot they'd be perfect, but, fair enough, they are trail shoes and if the soles are a bit hard, so be it. I didn't get a single blister, so that's got to be a good sign.

Anyhow, by hook or by crook I did Jays in 8 hours 8 minutes and crossed the line with dignity, having thoroughly made the most of a great experience.. which was my goal from the outset.
    Thanks to all the cool folk running this crazy thing and especially to the incredible volunteers.
    Cheers
    Andrew C

• wally__78 Amateur 20 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    21. Dec 27, 2007 1:41 AM (in response to RunLongVT)

This is great it was my second year doing the 1/2 SSSSlow again, anyway love the picture runlongvt Thanks for the link.

I had my garmin 305 the half shows 18.28 lost signal a couple of time. I'm going to down load the run and fill in the area using Delorme Topo 6. I'll post the Delorme view in a couple of day. For now here is the link to the track @ MB. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3488883[/URL" target="_blank">
    Also i did notice a few MB uploads for the full. Pretty cool.

DeLorme draw over file
    [IMG" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n227/wallysquier/th_jay-1.jpg[/IMG" target="_blank"> [/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by wallys (edited Aug-05-2007).|http://This message has been edited by wallys (edited Aug-05-2007).]

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...