Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2570 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2007 2:43 PM by Floridaboiler Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • rustyboy Rookie 112 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 21, 2007 12:40 AM (in response to kateMD)
    Re: Drama at Waldo!

Holy smokes, Kate: Quite the dramatic (and non-traditional) finish! It's good to hear you didn't suffer any sustainable damage. As we all know, it could have been far worse.

So... clears throat...when's the next race? 

• Droop Yass Amateur 201 posts since
    Apr 28, 2006
    16. Aug 21, 2007 12:56 AM (in response to kateMD)

quote:

Originally posted by rustyboy:

Holy smokes, Kate: Quite the dramatic (and non-traditional) finish! It's good to hear you didn't suffer any sustainable damage. As we all know, it could have been far worse.

So... clears throat...when's the next race?   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

Kate and I will both be at MRTR (50K) in a few weeks.

I was thinking of blowing it off, but I've gotten fond of being in the same races as Kate. She's my bud.

I think I've come to understand enough about Dr Kate to appreciate how much stronger this weekend will make her. There will be lots of incredible things coming her way.

I also am realizing just how much Waldo took out of me. I was not sore or really wiped out at the finish, I usually have a bombproof 48 hour recovery. This time though, I'm just feeling tired and wiped out, way more than I expected.

Yup. Waldo is a mutha. I guess that's why everyone keeps going back. 

• kimba900 Rookie 56 posts since
    Oct 30, 2006
    18. Aug 21, 2007 5:21 AM (in response to kateMD)

Wow! What a happening! Glad everything turned out okay in the long run. Good lesson for us all to learn.
    I had read about the trail vandalism, how that really messed up some races. What a shame.

• Steve K043 Rookie 91 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Aug 22, 2007 2:27 PM (in response to kateMD)

kateMD & MM Hippo good run to both of you!! kate, so sorry to read about the final miles and the ultimate DNF. I'm glad you are on the mend and sounds like will be ready to run 50K in a few weeks. What you described sounded pretty scary.

We will be in Switzerland at that time, but will look forward to reading about your successful completion. I will be running the jungfrau marathon on September 8th. The primary purpose of the trip is bicycling.

Hippo, I would imagine you will be running this next one a little closer to Kate. Glad you were there to help out.

Steve K

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• mmoonhead Rookie 432 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Aug 22, 2007 2:36 PM (in response to kateMD)

Kate, sorry about the DNF, but obviously more important, I'm glad to hear that you're okay.  That sounded quite scary!

I've been a bit out of the trail running loop for a bit (I'm full on training for my first tri) so I don't get in here as much as I used to, so I'm glad this drama ended on a good note.  Rest up well for your next adventure (and may it be one that's a helluva' lot less angst-ridden!)

• MedinaUltraGal041 Rookie 39 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    21. Aug 22, 2007 2:51 PM (in response to kateMD)

KATE!  You were the one who was lost!  I heard all the upset and insistence at the finish line that "someone was still out there," and here it turns out to be you!  I am sooooo so sorry that you went through all that, and so very thankful you are okay.  What a story to tell. (Did I meet you race morning?  Were you sitting on the steps with another woman?)

Hippo, talk about trail angels... you insisting that Kate was still out there may have saved her life.

See, ultrarunners are the best people in the world, I am convinced of that.  And for the sake of this story we will include hikers/campers on the PCT who helped Kate.

While I was running and people who had passed me, like Hippo, were passing me again, I had to ask what was going on. That's when I heard about the destruction of the course markings. Some runner said, "do you think it was just a kid playing a prank or was it another runner trying to throw us all off course?" THINK ABOUT IT, we would never do that to our fellow runners. There is way too much respect for each other out there, no matter where we run in the pack. It had to be some jerk vandal with nothing better to do. I feel bad for the people who ran extra miles, how frustrating. I wasn't ever off course for some reason.

Thank you so much, dear Hippo, for your comments. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!.... Made me tear up at work. It was so cool to see you again, on completely the other side of the U.S.! The race was tough but probably tougher because I had a knee injury from Mohican and lost about 6 weeks of training. It was feeling better about two weeks ago, so all I really wanted to accomplish was the first peak. Then I just kinda kept going, thinking perhaps I would drop at the next aid station. Being last -- or darn close to last -- hurts my pride, I'll admit! But there is glory in finishing. Congrats, Hippo, for earning your hat!

Ironically the "trail sweeper man" as I called him, Jeff, pulled in the last 7.5 miles with Ian Torrence, and I was pleased to be able to "meet him" on the course and chat for a bit. I finished just in front of the sweeps.

Kate, you take good care of yourself... and I hope to formally meet you at a future race!

Hippo, who knows where we will meet again -- just know we will!

Best,
    Suzanne

• QuickSilver096 Amateur 188 posts since
    May 23, 2007
    22. Aug 22, 2007 3:23 PM (in response to kateMD)

Dr. Kate,

I'm glad you're alright. It seems like you were hit pretty hard there.

I think I met MM Hippo. My impression was that he is a cool guy who would do anything for a friend. It seems like you two have a psychic connection now.

Good luck in your next adventure!

--

<br />QuickSilver<br />--

natural running (or how I learned to run from pre-historic predators)

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Droop Yass Amateur 201 posts since
    Apr 28, 2006
    24. Aug 23, 2007 4:05 PM (in response to kateMD)

Quicksilver: yup, I met you at Shoreline, I think. I'm sorta-kinda thinking about doing AC100 in 2008 - maybe I'll see you there?

Suzanne: If you didn't realize it, Jeff the trailsweep (and Maiden Peak Summitkeeper) finished 10th place at States this year. Awesome job that you kept up with him. 

• Floridaboiler Rookie 237 posts since
    Nov 25, 2001
    25. Aug 25, 2007 2:43 PM (in response to kateMD)

Kate,
    I am sorry to hear you didn't finish. Thanks goodness you ended up with some people that knew how to help you.

Hippo,
    Great job on your race.

----

My Cool Running Profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Current Race Results and Pictures"[/URL" target="_blank">
    Floridaboiler on Myspace[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...