Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4426 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2007 4:05 PM by cakmakli RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
quaker02 Rookie 59 posts since
Sep 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2007 6:13 PM

My Nipples

Does anyone have a good solution to help me from stopping my shirt from tearing my nipples off?  I have tried bandaid and generall they work but in the marathon I ran last weekend, my band aids fell off (due to sweat) in the first 4-5 miles...and, needless to say, I had some pretty raw/bloody nipples by the end of the race.

Please help my nipples, and post your tips.

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 11, 2007 6:16 PM (in response to quaker02)
    Re: My Nipples

Mmmmm... nipplesss.... hehe sorry.

BODY GLIDE. Get this stuff and rub it on em before the race. The only time I've EVER had a nipple issue is the race where I forgot.

• The Professor063 Rookie 49 posts since
    Aug 11, 2007
    2. Sep 11, 2007 6:29 PM (in response to quaker02)

You can buy nipple guards and most running specialty stores, I found that these stick better than regular band-aids. I have also used duct tape which stays on even during heavy sweating (we do a lot of that here in Florida)...removing the duct tape is quite fun after the race 

• ctxcrossx Rookie 119 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 11, 2007 7:55 PM (in response to quaker02)

Personally, I'd go with the bandaids.  They're much cheaper than the nipple guards.  If they fell off, maybe you had already broken a sweat?  As long as my skin is dry, they never have a problem staying.  Also, maybe putting them on an hour before exercise (instead of right before), so the adhesive can kick in a little better.  Good luck with whatever you go with!

Chris

• Blaine Moore062 Rookie 28 posts since
    May 3, 2006
    4. Sep 11, 2007 8:18 PM (in response to quaker02)

I stick with regular bandaids and have never had trouble.  Like ctxcrossx said, you need to put them on at least 10 minutes before you start sweating if you don't want them to fall off. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

I've heard good things about body glide, but I have never used it. Same goes with the nipple guards which are basically small band aids with better adhesive.

You can try two bandaids in a crossing pattern over both nipples; generally speaking, at least one stays on. That is how I manage them when I forgot to put the bandaids on until right before the race or long run.

I like the duct tape idea...although you might want to use a bandaid for the nipple itself under the duct tape if you go that route! I've never tried it though so I can't say for sure.

Another option is to wear a different shirt.  Wearing cotton on a hot day is just asking for trouble.  Most technical fabrics will be a bit more forgiving, although I try to remember the band aids whenever possible.

• jimbo55 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Sep 11, 2007 8:44 PM (in response to quaker02)

Dr Scholl's corn pads stay on and do not seem to be affected by sweat. Have tried others but they fall off in less than an hour.

• tox-prof Rookie 78 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 11, 2007 8:48 PM (in response to quaker02)

A few tips I've learned...

Body glide works well for me for shorter runs (1-2 hours, depending on the heat), but longer runs I always use bandaids.

Get the kind that have a somewhat "fabric" feel, not all plastic. They seem to give a bit more and stretch. Personally I think they stick a lot better too (either store band or "BandAid" brand), I think they are often marketed as "flexible" and sometimes even "sport" band-aids.

Apply vertically. That way, the only edge that your shirt can rub on is the part in contact with your skin and has adhesive on it. If you put one on horizontally (or if the outer one is horizontal when using 2 criss-crossed), the edge of the part that doesn't stick can catch on your shirt and is much more easily ripped off.

Don't apply too tightly. If there is no room to flex your chest muscles, they will come off more easily (I learned this the hard way on a long run that also included multiple "fitness stations". The pullups ripped the bandaids right off!)

Kinda goes without saying, but the bigger the bandaid, the more area to adhere. I find the 3/4 inch wide ones work well.

I've also heard of people using sport tape, the kind that is used to wrap ankles, etc. It sticks very well (and can be had for cheap), but be sure to use gauze or something over the actual nipple area, or you'll be sorry.

• JasonRobillard Rookie 32 posts since
    Nov 11, 2005
    7. Sep 11, 2007 8:50 PM (in response to quaker02)

Getting more technical with the duct tape- use actual HVAC tape, it is a little more sticky than the general purpose home repair stuff.  Also, clean the surrounding area with alcohol before applying the duct tape.  It seems to remove any oils that would interfere with adhesion.  Finally, place a SMALL dab of vasoline (or bag balm, body glide, whatever you have handy) on the tip of the nipple itself before applying the duct tape.  This helps greatly with removal.  Also, shave.  Chest hair and duct tape are a bad combo...

• jholtthief Rookie 111 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Sep 11, 2007 9:47 PM (in response to quaker02)

Crazy Glue and cotton balls.

• rustyboy Rookie 112 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Sep 11, 2007 9:51 PM (in response to quaker02)

Sandpaper and rubber cement.

• Bill^L Rookie 38 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    10. Sep 11, 2007 10:05 PM (in response to quaker02)

Look for;

BAND-AID Tough-Strips that say Heavy Duty Fabric on the front of the box.  These are old style, fabric backed band aids.  I sweat a lot and they stay on, even for a 100 miler.

• Kevin E. Stroud Rookie 511 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    11. Sep 11, 2007 10:20 PM (in response to quaker02)

I use strips of 1" wide medical tape.

To ease the removal process I shave a small area around my nipples - but don't let your teenage daughters see you doing that, as they may never recover from the sight! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

kestrou

• phredmur Rookie 72 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Sep 12, 2007 10:11 AM (in response to quaker02)

band aids sometimes come off in longer runs/races. it's painful and embarrassing coming to the finish line with a red number 11 on your shirt front. i use stretchy clear plastic medical tape that you can buy at any of the chain drug stores. it stays on. it's best to put it on dry skin.

• baldrunner Rookie 10 posts since
    Aug 24, 2007
    14. Sep 12, 2007 11:21 AM (in response to quaker02)

I almost didn't read this post because I thought it would simply be a big advertisement for Body Glide Great suggestions with all the other ways. I can say that as a person who sweats profusely during a run, until I started using Body Glide on the nipples I, too, ran into problems with band aids, tape, etc. So I highly endorse Body Glide, just don't mistake it for your deodorant, done that a few times and you end up stinky with a very odd lubricated sensation under the arms!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...