Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6333 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2007 1:11 PM by Guest RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • Trail Monster Rookie 34 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Nov 11, 2007 6:32 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)
    Re: Too early for a Stone Cat 50 topic?

quote:

Originally posted by trailmonster:

35th place, 10:28

Minimum Goal: Sub 12:00
    Ideal Goal: Sub 10:00

Although I haven't seen the official results published online I did catch a glimpse of the results board after the race:

41st place, 10:10:03

I really couldn't have asked for a better experience at my first 50. Thankfully the weather was significantly better than predicted, I got to run the first 25 miles with a good friend and to meet a lot of other great people, my wife finished first female in the marathon which gave me a big boost and the support from everyone with G.A.C. was incredible.

I hope to get my race report done in the next day or two and will post it here: www.trailmonsterrunning.blogspot.com[/URL" target="_blank">

Thanks to everyone for the good advice and support!

• Trail Goat Rookie 91 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    76. Nov 11, 2007 8:41 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

what a beautiful day to spend out in the woods. I thought very early on that I was going to drop at halfway but some whiskey and persistence (read as stupidity) got me to the line a minute faster than my predicted finish time of 7:59. Also got meet spaff and trail tripper - actually ran with spaff on and off for a couple milesdur the second half of loop three.

On to JFK. Oh boy.

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

• kellywilson Rookie 51 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    77. Nov 11, 2007 10:13 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Good job everyone!  I had a good day.  I was hoping to finish in 9:00 and came in around 9:17.   I started out with Aliza (who won for the girls) but she's too fast for me to race with so I quickly dropped off back to my pace.  I just did my own thing-watched the HR monitor, looked for any excuse of a hill to walk and tried to remember where the aid stations were.  Bikernate and Jeff helped pull me along during the second loop and then they were done-lucky!  I was hoping Jack would be at the end of the field to run in with me but he was at the finish with the camera and Aliza was there yelling for me too.

I'm ready to call it a season but I may be needed to run at the XC Championships next weekend at Franklin Park (outside of Boston) to make a womens open team for our club.  Just what I love-lining up with a bunch of half-my-age, half-naked college xc runners for 6K.  I'll have to do an early 10 miler just to get my legs to move.    If I have a good day I might come in 4th or 5th from last!

Happy recovery!

Kelly

• spaff Rookie 41 posts since
    Jul 4, 2007
    78. Nov 12, 2007 7:26 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

A very well organized race, nice course and friendly people.  Glad the weather held out. 

Pleased with the way it went. Was only my second 50miler, so still learning. Tried going out a little more aggressively than my first one which made it tickle a little later on. Happy though with 8:11 (1:49, 2:01, 2:06, 2:14). Learning lots along the way and looking forward to next year.

I said during the race I was hoping to finish faster than the length of time it took to drive there, so was a success.  It was still a long drive back home for us to Ontario though.  Was nice to meet you Goat.

• bikernate Rookie 49 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    79. Nov 12, 2007 1:00 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Kelly,

Glad to hear that we might have helped a little bit, but frankly you looked so strong I am surprised to hear it! Towards the end I was getting pretty wasted and was having a harder time talking. I couldn't believe how fast some of the 50 milers were going!

I was pretty happy with my performance in the Marathon. I finished in 4:15 and ended up 22nd out of 159. That was a cool race (literally...). Next year I'll do the 50 and join you guys.

Nate

• RunLongVT Rookie 161 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    81. Nov 13, 2007 9:40 AM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Hey great job one and all!

The G.A.C. put on an absolutely top-notch race, even recruiting SherpaJohn to scare the wits out of everyone about the weather so we were all pleased as punch with 40 degrees and breezy. :O)

10:24 for me. I was amazed to see afterwards that this was 42nd out of 81 finishers. The place was like a ghost town when I finished, just after the sun went down.

I tell you, this course was sneaky-hard. My hat goes off to all those speedy folks who can run a nice comfortable pace for the first two laps... and then keep running that pace till the end. I was trying to be very aware of the lack of good walking break hills, and to take it nice and easy. Half way through the second lap, I realized I was a sucker. I was feeling the effects of my lower training volume (racing too much) and suddenly realized I needed to start pampering my body or I was going to be toast. Long story short- this course will let you self-destruct without warning. Proceed with caution. Force yourself to take walkbreaks, ideally with a timer.

Great course, great volunteers, fantastic finisher's jacket!!

• Currently Being Moderated
    82. Nov 13, 2007 1:11 PM (in response to ctxcrossx)

Yes, I did finish my first ultra! Didn't know what to expect but got lots of good advice along the way. I loved the aid stations so much so that I had to remember to run  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    Thanks everybody.
    Reji
    10:09

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...