Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2887 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2007 7:11 PM by chriswile 1 2 3 Previous Next
timlooney019 Pro 354 posts since
Nov 1, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2007 10:37 PM

WS 2008

I just pit my name in the lottery.  I hesitated for a long time but now after a few beers decided the time was right.   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I hope to see some of you there.

• kateMD Rookie 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Oct 26, 2007 10:43 PM (in response to timlooney019)
    Re: WS 2008

Tim, Tim, Tim...haven't you lost enough fingers there?! ;-  GOOD LUCK!  I hope you get in again and have another great run.  Wish I was feeling up to it but I doubt I'd make the cut offs at this point in my "career."  I can only dream and live vicariously through you...

Kate

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 27, 2007 9:17 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Things are fine. I finished 100K at the 20th Century 100K in Seattle two weeks ago.  My plans for next year should include a 100 miler but not sure which I want to make my debut at. Still contemplating.

Pacing WS? Hmmm...I might could be convinced.

www.themadrunner.blogspot.com[/URL" target="_blank">

Kate

----

• Kevin E. Stroud Rookie 511 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    4. Oct 27, 2007 10:00 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Kate - we just might have a bidding war for you (I hear women like it when guys fight over them, true?  )

Put my name in too, and we'll see how it goes - I've heard rumors that there's enough "two time losers" already in the pipeline that there won't be much chance at all for us first-time entrants.

Not sure if I can go sub-24, but going to give it a shot!

kestrou

Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 28, 2007 2:42 PM (in response to timlooney019)

Oooooh!  I'm a hot commodity?!  I've never been a hot commodity.  I like this.  Now if some of you guys would just get in,  then we can let the bidding begin!

Kate

----

• aharmer Rookie 452 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    6. Oct 29, 2007 5:01 AM (in response to timlooney019)

Hey guys,

Excuse me if this has been discussed because I have a feeling it has. What happens when the number of two time losers exceeds the field limit size? I assume the field limit will never be changed so that means the two-time loser rule may have to be moved back to 3+ years? Thanks!

----

"Pain is temporary. Regret hurts forever."
    www.analytical-training.blogspot.com

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    7. Oct 29, 2007 6:05 AM (in response to timlooney019)

aharmer- they will either have to do away with the rule or move it to three time losers i guess. This is why, as a one time loser, i am not going to hold my breath. I think the 50 mile qualification should be tighter, that would reduce the # of lottery entrants. And otherwise, just be patient  I am in the lottery, but i have so many other races on the radar next year that if i do not get picked i will not be upset.

Aug 15, 2007
    9. Oct 29, 2007 7:14 AM (in response to timlooney019)

I'd love to do the Bear 100.

Aug 15, 2007
    11. Oct 29, 2007 7:37 AM (in response to timlooney019)

Less elevation than the Tetons 

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    12. Dec 27, 2007 2:29 AM (in response to timlooney019)

I am really hoping to get in, as a great friend of mine lives near the course and has done it, so itd be a reason to visit and I already have a vet pacer and crew in place.
    Also wonder when/if the two time loser rule will have to change, it seems many more people try to get in. I come from more of a tri background and I know of a lot of people that have been doing 50s just to get that qualifiying time to apply, as western states is THE race to a lot of people looking in from outside doing ultras.....
    But I should mention that so many of my tri friends havent made the 11 hour cut off...they thought, piece of cake to run 2 marathons in under 11. What they didnt figure on is how every variable seems to be multpilied a lot during a 50! it is really not 'just two marathons!'

also, I read a blog linked from the WS site about a guy who said he calculated how many raffle tickets he would need to buy to get in....now I also believe there are SO many more other cool races out there, but I just wonder HOW many tix would he have had to buy? He DID get in and finish.

[http://This message has been edited by StPauligirl (edited Oct-29-2007).|http://This message has been edited by StPauligirl (edited Oct-29-2007).]

• Bill^L Rookie 38 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    13. Oct 29, 2007 11:15 AM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by StPauligirl:

IAlso wonder when/if the two time loser rule will have to change, it seems many more people try to get in. ]

Rumor has it that they will make an announcement at this years lottery on December 1 as to the future of the lottery and possible changes.

• rootsrunner Rookie 236 posts since
    Jun 28, 2006
    14. Oct 29, 2007 1:04 PM (in response to timlooney019)

I'm not entering this year as I don't believe I'm ready to tackle the Sierra Nevadas. Yet.

I am going to be in Sacramento area during the lottery weekend and hope to attend. I imagine its very exciting.

I will pay attention to the news of the rules changes for the lottery. My hope is that someday I can run WS. It would be nice if it did not take 5 years to get in.

What was the change to the entry standards that made it more accessible? What was the standard previously? I'm curious.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...