Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2678 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2007 7:11 PM by chriswile RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    32. Nov 4, 2007 6:40 AM (in response to timlooney019)
    Re: WS 2008

hey Looney. If we don't get in this year, we should enter as buddies next year!

• merigayle Amateur 1,569 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    34. Nov 4, 2007 11:16 AM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by timlooney:

you'll be automatic assuming the rules don't change       plus I'll need to save money for the badwater crew trip

so was that a yes or a no? 

• Trail Goat Rookie 91 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    35. Nov 5, 2007 9:20 AM (in response to timlooney019)

I finally put my name in the lottery yesterday.  I'll be in Squaw Valley one way or another next June.

----

irunfar.blogspot.com

• Katie029 Rookie 35 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    37. Dec 27, 2007 2:29 AM (in response to timlooney019)

Hey rootssorry, I've been out of commission for a few daysdown with the flu.

I don't think the NF races will impact the crowd at the lottery. Mostly the lottery crowd is made of folks from Auburn, Folsom, Sacramento, and all the surrounding towns. When a name is drawn locally at the lottery and they are not in the crowd, they get booed. It is pretty funny.

But I haven't heard a lot of local chit chat about the NF races.  I thought they looked kind of coolvery little support, but at least you can have a crew.  <br /><br />If you show up, give a shoutI'll probably have an orange ball cap on.

Oh, I have not yet heard any statistics on what the chances are of getting in. The last qualifier was Helen Klein 50 mile, so they may wait for applications to get in from the last of the qualifiers. I'm guessing it will be as bad as last year or worse.

[http://This message has been edited by katie (edited Nov-06-2007).|http://This message has been edited by katie (edited Nov-06-2007).]

• Currently Being Moderated
    38. Nov 13, 2007 6:33 PM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by jholtthief:

WS is to hundred mile runners what Boston is to marathoners, or a gig at Carnagie Hall to a classical musician. It's THE classic 100. Of course, not all ultra runners desire to run 'States. For better or for worse, I do....

Hmmm....  I don't think so.   I've run in 11 different 100-mile races and I have no burning desire to run in WS100.   Too crowded, too hot, too much hassle to get into, and unlike Boston, qualifying is fairly easy for most ultrarunners.   Yes, WS100 gets lots of attention, but it isn't on my list of 100s that I really want to do.

• Steve K043 Rookie 91 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Nov 15, 2007 6:04 PM (in response to timlooney019)

FYI - according to a posting on the Ultrarunning list the odds for 2008 are: 191 names to be drawn from a pot with 1,186 entrants or 16.1% chance.

Good luck to all who want to get in.

Steve K

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    40. Nov 16, 2007 12:52 PM (in response to timlooney019)

...actually there more, 1351 entrants, there is a list on the WS site..
    I wonder if they have a list to account those that do not submit results, or decline? Just taking a quick glance at the list of names, I see two people that I know that did not complete qualifiers in the time frame.
    It is interesting to see the breakdown of states and countries...

• Bill^L Rookie 38 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    41. Dec 27, 2007 2:29 AM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by StPauligirl:

...actually there more, 1351 entrants, there is a list on the WS site..
    I wonder if they have a list to account those that do not submit results, or decline? Just taking a quick glance at the list of names, I see two people that I know that did not complete qualifiers in the time frame.
    It is interesting to see the breakdown of states and countries...

The difference between 1,351 and 1186 is made up of two time losers, foreign entrants and top ten women and men from last years race. There are some applicants like Meltzer, Krupicka and probably a few others who will most likely get in based on the clause that says WSER reserves the right to allow entry to someone who will add something to the competative nature of the race( or something like that).

[http://This message has been edited by Bill L (edited Nov-16-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Bill L (edited Nov-16-2007).]

• StPauligirl Rookie 244 posts since
    Nov 27, 2006
    42. Nov 16, 2007 1:54 PM (in response to timlooney019)

I wondered about that, thanks...but the guys I know who didnt qualify but sent entry, they are more like middle to pack of the pack runners....

• Bill^L Rookie 38 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    43. Nov 16, 2007 5:02 PM (in response to timlooney019)

quote:

Originally posted by StPauligirl:

I wondered about that, thanks...but the guys I know who didnt qualify but sent entry, they are more like middle to pack of the pack runners....

That's odd.  You have to state your qualifying race right on the app but you send proof of when your accepted into the race.  Are you considering races that they may have ran in 2006.  The qualifying period started October 1, 2006

• chriswile Rookie 29 posts since
    May 27, 2005
    44. Nov 16, 2007 7:11 PM (in response to timlooney019)

I hesitated to enter the lottery, but eventually I did.  I have never been so excited and anxious just to be on a list for a lottery.  Dang- I wish it were December 1st.  I checked out the list on the WS 100 web site.  WOW- that is a very impressive list of runners.  I am proud just to be on a list with all of those cool folks.  Good luck to everyone.  I hope to see you at WS in 2008!!!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...