Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1798 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2007 8:00 AM by Guest 1 2 Previous Next
thejoggler Rookie 68 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2007 9:20 AM

How do you fight the post-race blues?

You just did it.  You finished your first ultra or you set a PR or you broke a world record.

Now what?

I've been training and thinking about my first 50 miler and I finished in a great time for me. But now I feel a little down. I have to spend time resting and recovering and have no races planned until next April.

What do you do to fight the post-race blues? (or am I the only one who feels this?)

----

Learn to joggle - sport of the future. http://justyouraveragejoggler.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• runninlaw Amateur 983 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    1. Oct 31, 2007 9:24 AM (in response to thejoggler)
    Re: How do you fight the post-race blues?

Perfectly normal.  Try to set some new goals for yourself so you have something to look forward to rather than just looking back.  It helps a lot.  Congratulations on your finish.  Now enjoy some recovery time and the freedom to be off a training schedule!

• RichardC040 Pro 218 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 31, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to thejoggler)

I ran my first race this year... (not even close to an ultra)

And felt the same thing for several days... To me it was I had focused on that race for so long  and once it was gone... I felt I had lost a best friend.....decided to set some new running goals and wamo I felt better.

• spaff Rookie 41 posts since
    Jul 4, 2007
    3. Oct 31, 2007 9:43 AM (in response to thejoggler)

Yup agreed with runninlaw....find a new goal.

April seems like a long ways off, but will creep up quickly.

Something you might consider during the winter months, if you live near snow, is snowshoe racing. A ton of races popping up and great training in winter. Check out www.snowshoemag.com[/URL" target="_blank">

• spaff Rookie 41 posts since
    Jul 4, 2007
    4. Oct 31, 2007 9:46 AM (in response to thejoggler)

....oh, and maybe indulging in a few of those things you've been strict about avoiding during your hard training would help too (ie. Doritos!).  Just don't enjoy that part too much 

• Currently Being Moderated
    5. Oct 31, 2007 11:48 AM (in response to thejoggler)

One thing that helps me is to treat yourself to something new.  A new watch, shoes, shirt, pants, etc... This way you will be looking forward to your next few runs to try these new gadgets out.  Then you will be back in the mood to train and get ready for your next challenge.

Marc

• Currently Being Moderated
    6. Oct 31, 2007 12:23 PM (in response to thejoggler)

Congrats on your great run!

Things that help me:

- Being outside
    - Beer (with Doritos, right Spaff?), wine, along those lines
    - Knowing the worst will pass in a few days
    - Lots of extra sleep and TLC

• Sherpa John Rookie 367 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Oct 31, 2007 4:06 PM (in response to thejoggler)

I'm with Trail tripper... especially the beer part.. errr... I mean, GET OUTSIDE!

• thr3ee Rookie 20 posts since
    Sep 12, 2007
    8. Oct 31, 2007 5:09 PM (in response to thejoggler)

quote:

Originally posted by thejoggler:

What do you do to fight the post-race blues? (or am I the only one who feels this?)

Don't fight them. Embrace them as yet another part of the experience. Just as you went through highs and lows during the race, you will do so afterwards as well. I like to try and look at it all as one long journey that may have climaxed at the finish line, but is not over until...well, until its over, actually. Just as your body is recovering from your monumental effort and accomplishment, your emotions are responding to that state and the resulting sense of melancholy may linger for a bit. Use it as a time to let everything slowly sink in, reflect and revel in your success before moving on to the "next thing".

After completing a major goal race such as my first ultra, first time at a new distance, or a major PR, I will take some time off from running. Not just the recovery time that I might take between set goals or the walking or easy cycling that I might make myself do to keep the blood flowing, but actual no running until I really feel like it. Then, when I do feel the internal compulsion to get out there and run I will keep it easy, very easy. Perhaps, I won't wear a watch. Certainly, I won't have a set goal. Just simple, easy, running.

After my first hundred I took a full week off before letting myself run at all. When I finally did it was the most simple, effortless run I could recall having done in a long time; not at all like training. I enjoyed such runs a few more times over the next week. Eventually it faded and I fell back into old patterns, wanting to track my progress towards something. At that point I knew that it was time to move on, look forward and pick the next goal. A new journey was about to begin.

-Steve
    http://mountain-man-steve.blogspot.com/[/URL" target="_blank">

• ctxcrossx Rookie 119 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Oct 31, 2007 5:25 PM (in response to thejoggler)

You can also consider having several goals.  My first ultra was a 50k a month ago and I was very happy with my result.  I didn't get into a funk after it because I have a 50 miler coming up and I am planning a 100k next year (as well as some other trail races I haven't done).  I always try to have a few goals staggered about so that I have something to focus on after a big race.

Chris

• woodrunner Rookie 91 posts since
    Aug 11, 2006
    10. Oct 31, 2007 8:03 PM (in response to thejoggler)

Yeah, set some more goals, which don't necessarily have to be about sports.  This is the time of year I start getting busy on house projects as racing winds down.  I got totally pumped up by taking Tuesday off to start retiling my bathroom.

• markc7079 Rookie 190 posts since
    Sep 7, 2002
    11. Nov 1, 2007 6:35 AM (in response to thejoggler)

quote:

Originally posted by thr3ee:

After my first hundred I took a full week off before letting myself run at all.

Lightweight!     I took a whole month off after my first 100, and even when I started running again I ran without a watch for another month.  When I jumped back into training after that, I was raring to go.

----

Mark

Vegan 100 Miler[/URL" target="_blank">

• thr3ee Rookie 20 posts since
    Sep 12, 2007
    12. Nov 1, 2007 10:46 AM (in response to thejoggler)

quote:

Originally posted by markc7:

Lightweight!      I took a whole month off after my first 100, and even when I started running again I ran without a watch for another month.  When I jumped back into training after that, I was raring to go.

Yes, but I live in the SF Bay Area which is the center of the ultra-addict world with year-round running weather and accessible ultra races just about every single weekend. Its tough to take a whole month off from running races around here (I will try in Dec.) let alone a month of from running. You just can't imagine the peer pressure. I got talked into signing up for my second 100 before I was even recovered from my first!

• exciton Rookie 317 posts since
    Nov 2, 2004
    13. Nov 1, 2007 1:23 PM (in response to thejoggler)

Have a few beers and go runnin.

• Harper028 Rookie 188 posts since
    Jan 20, 2007
    14. Nov 1, 2007 3:44 PM (in response to thejoggler)

thejoggler, perhaps you're, um, juggling too many things at once.

OK, I couldn't resist.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...