Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3688 Views 40 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2007 10:50 PM by fatozzig1 1 2 3 Previous Next
fatozzig1 Amateur 484 posts since
Aug 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2007 10:50 AM

NTR ET (NEO's Nov. Thread)

Takin' Greg's advice and starting a new thread for the month.

Greg - Hope your're feeling better/healed soon. Just remember to take it nice and easy once you're able to get back on the road/dirt.

Here's a joke for ya'llto get the month started:

The other night I was invited out for a night with "the girls." I told my husband that I would be home by midnight, "I promise!" Well, the hours passed and the margaritas went down way too easy. Around 3 a.m., a bit blitzed, I headed for home. Just as I got in the door, the cuckoo clock in the hall started up and cuckooed 3 times. Quickly, realizing my husband would probably wake up, I cuckooed another 9 times. I was really proud of myself for coming up with such a quick-witted solution (even when totally smashed), in order to escape a possible conflict with him.

The next morning my husband asked me what time I got in, and I told him midnight. He didn't seem disturbed at all. Then he said, "We need a new cuckoo clock." When I asked him why, he said, "Well, last night our clock cuckooed three times, then said, "Oh, $hit," cuckooed 4 more times, cleared its throat, cuckooed another 3 times, giggled, cuckooed twice more, and then tripped over the cat and farted."

----

Leslie
Running Behind the Redwood Curtain

It's a mad mission but I got the ambition.  It's a mad, mad mission, sign me up.
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't - Richard Bach
SeeMyProfile![/URL" target="_blank">
SeeMyBlog[/URL" target="_blank">

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    1. Nov 1, 2007 11:39 AM (in response to fatozzig1)
    Re: NTR ET (NEO's Nov. Thread)

That is too funny! I hope that's true and not a joke. Classic.

• Kitrin Rookie 38 posts since
    Sep 24, 2007
    2. Nov 1, 2007 2:03 PM (in response to fatozzig1)

Sounds like most of us have some kind of "issue" going on right now.  I went for a 4 mile run here in Watertown, NY yesterday.  Outside town, there is a nice gravel trail that goes two miles one way.  It even has posts every 1/4 mile (not that that helps me).  I actually prefer NOT knowing how far I have run or how much I have left. 

AGAIN, my knee started giving out around 2.5 miles. Greg, I think you may be right about the feet/shoes. I have some minimalist shoes and will try running in those to see if it helps. I ran in my old standby shoes because I think I need a different sock plan for the minimal shoes. Any suggestions?

I ended up icing and elevating before going to bed last night and my knee is "almost" back to normal. Of course, normal has never been fantastic with that knee, even in childhood.

I did finish the run and the day was beautiful. The scenery was great as the trail is secluded and passes a large pond with geese. Temps were in the high 50s and sunset was approaching. VERY desirable circumstances.

I plan to run the canal this weekend when I am back in Syracuse. I hope it is not paved at all.

Heal up everyone!
    Kit

• kellywilson Rookie 51 posts since
    Oct 27, 2007
    3. Nov 1, 2007 8:33 PM (in response to fatozzig1)

Hi Everyone-is there enough room for another chick to chime in?  Fatozzig, your story is too funny!  I bust out laughing every time I read it.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

I hope you all get better and can get back out there soon.

Kelly

• runNYtrails Rookie 121 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Nov 3, 2007 9:02 AM (in response to fatozzig1)

Welcome Kelywil !!

Tell us a little about yerself and what kind of running you like to do.

fatozzig-

fart humor is always appreciated !  Thanks for the chuckle. ( Hey, what ever happened to the  question of the week? )
    Your race schedule for next year looks great, so many interesting events you have going on out west ... esp the trail marathon. That one looks very inviting.

I was wondering what happened to JJJessee, good to hear that he's still around. I always enjoyed his posts and pics. I hope he pops in on us again soon.

I've managed to get a little  walking in this week but no running.  The weather has been great and the trails lovely ... here is a little slideshow from a short  hike i took the other day if yer innerested . . .

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/runNYtrails/Knox%20Farm%20State%20Park/[/URL" target="_blank">

Oct 27, 2007
    6. Nov 3, 2007 10:58 AM (in response to fatozzig1)

Thanks for the welcome.  Trails are my first choice to run but there are some days where I have to settle for dirt roads and times I have to run on pavement in order to get to the dirt roads and trails.  I live in northern VT so there are plenty of trails and dirt roads to choose from.  I live with my SO who runs ultras as well and I have 2 boys who keep us busy.

I did the VT50 and won the 30's age group. I'm usually finish in the middle somewhere so I'm really excited about how much I've improved this year. Next up is Stone Cat 50 where last year I got off course and did the marathon instead. So my big goal is just to stay on course and finish and if I could do it somewhere around 9 hrs (my VT50 time) then that's just an extra brownie that I can eat to celebrate at the end!

RunNY your pictures are pretty-looks a lot like parts of VT. Fatozzig your pictures of your latest run were beautiful as well. I've only been to CA a couple times-my SO ran WS in 2006 and then we went to Yosemite for a few days after and then last April the boys and I went to Northstar at Tahoe for the snowboarding nationals-I dreaded having to come back each time!

Take care,

Kelly

• lorriegray Rookie 25 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    9. Nov 5, 2007 7:54 PM (in response to fatozzig1)

Hi everyone! 

I'm not sure if you guys remember me or not. I joined this little group when it first started, but I've been MIA for a few months. My trail running came to a halt in early summer when all of the trails were flooded due to the excessive rain we received. Then, about the time the trails started to dry out, I was diagnosed with a tibial stress fracture (darned pavement pounding).

Anyway, as of last Friday, I got the go-ahead to start running again, slowly incorporating bouts of running into the walking I've been doing for the past few weeks. I've been power hiking my favorite trail once a week for about a month now, and it's been all I could do to keep myself from breaking out into a run (especially on the downhills). I felt great to actually be able to run a little this past weekend.

Before all of this happened, I'd planned to do couple of local races in the next couple of weeks. However, since I'm just getting back to running, of course I won't be able to race in the events. So, I'm volunteering for them instead, and really looking forward to that. The first race, Rockledge Rumble[/URL" target="_blank">, is this coming weekend out at my favorite local trail, Northshore Trail at Lake Grapevine. The next one, Ultracentric[/URL" target="_blank"> is also at Lake Grapevine, but on an asphalt trail/road loop (it's several different timed events).

I see that no one has really kept up the question of the week in my absence, so I'll try to come up with one and post it soon.

Lorrie

• Gregolowe Rookie 324 posts since
    Jul 6, 2006
    10. Nov 6, 2007 5:00 PM (in response to fatozzig1)

Well, it looks like another TWO girls have been added to our group uping the coodie factor to almost unmanageable proportions. Jesse better get his butt back over here.
    I haven't run yet since I stopped about 2.5 weeks ago. Not sure what I'm going to do. My life is calling me to get busy on things of significance like writing and studying as opposed to running around with no where to go. Which leads me to post a question here that I may post on the ultra list as well.
    Question: How much of your identity is wrapped up in being a runner generally and in being a trail runner more specifically? It doesn't get any more foundational than that. Let's hear ya.
    Socks for minimalist shoes? Why, the least you can stand of course. I run in thin wool/poly blends, thin like a work or dress sock.
    Good luck with the blister thing Fattie fat fat. You could always go with sandals girlfriend.
    stress fracture girl-welcome back. Slow and steady.
    I'm at work so I can't view the pictures to comment but the little boxes with a red X in the middle look nice.
    Later.

Dec 14, 2007
    12. Dec 27, 2007 2:30 AM (in response to fatozzig1)

Welcome back

lorrieg

!! Looking fwd to hearing about your trail adventures .. running, powerhiking or whatever You can manage now.
    I do remember the photos of your flooded out trails.

fatozzig

- + AHHH - CHOOOOO - EEE ! !+ They're very cute but i'm

very

allergic ! I see now the origins of your screen name . . .
    nice kitties. Good Luck in yer 1/2 M this weekend, hope you enjoy and meet your goal.

quote:

Question: How much of your identity is wrapped up in being a runner generally and in being a trail runner more specifically?

Interesting topic

Gregolowe

.  I must admit that i run for the pure n selfish reason that it brings me great joy.  I run trails b/c they are the frosting on the cupcake. (Chocolate frosting that is !)  I spend far too much time thinking about running, reading about running,  planning events and actually running.  I am the first to admit  ... my life is definitely out of balance.  However, I am too lazy to do anything about it and nothing else has been such a reliable source of pleasure   !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

It is only really now, being injured and unable to run, that I am acutely aware of this.  But I was due some  'down time' so i'm not complaining ... just cross training so that i am still  able to run when the day comes. Which will be sooooon, I hope.

As far as identity ... that's a tough one ... I dont think I pursue this as a means of identity.   I dont see myself as a "real"  runner anymore ... based on pace alone i wouldnt qualify ...  and also the type of events i choose to participate in.   I'm not really sure how  others perceive me, I'd be afraid to ask ...

[http://This message has been edited by runNYtrails (edited Nov-07-2007).|http://This message has been edited by runNYtrails (edited Nov-07-2007).]

Oct 27, 2007
    13. Nov 7, 2007 9:52 PM (in response to fatozzig1)

Cute cats Fatozzig.  Funny, a cat showed up on our door step a week ago which in itself is amazing.  We live in a rural community on a major highway for VT where the cars go zipping by at 50-60 mph.  Luckily the neighbors took the cat in because the nights have been chilly.

Interesting question posed by Greg-afraid of coodies-olowe    I had to think about it for a while.  I'll have to be honest and admit that it's a big part of me.  It's done wonders for my self-esteem, training for the Adirondack marathon in 2003 got me through my divorce and now that I've become a personal trainer it gives me more credibility in that I walk-the-walk as well as talk-the-talk.  I love being in the woods and trails seem to suite me better than pavement.

And I have to go along with what Ziggy (sorry-can't call her Fat) said in that I've only been running since '99 and would never have thought that I would be signing up for trail 50 milers and contemplating a 100 miler once I turn 40 which will be in March! and I thought getting my belly button pierced when I turned 35 was wild and crazy! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Kelly

Dec 14, 2007
    14. Nov 8, 2007 5:26 PM (in response to fatozzig1)

Good Luck

to our racers this weekend -

Fatozzig

and

kelywil ! !

Anyone else got anything special going on ??

Kitrin

- how was the rest of your stay in NYS ??

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...