Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3956 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2005 1:09 PM by seaballs
reebe16 Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2005 12:33 PM

Favorite post-run quick dinners

Hello! Due to my schedule, I fit my running in between coming home from work and dinner.  This allows me to get my workout done before my husband comes home--then we can sit down and eat dinner together.  I'm on the constant lookout for meals that are quicker to prepare but serve as a good post-run workout chow down... (these workouts during the week are sub-1 hour).  Anyone have favorites they'd like to share?

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 23, 2005 6:18 PM (in response to reebe16)
    Re: Favorite post-run quick dinners

Wraps are very quick if you cut everything up the night or morning before, and they make great use of that leftover chicken breast or sirloin steak, and the orphan peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. in your fridge. To get some carbs in, serve with rice or a starchy vegetable like potatoes, peas, sweet potatoes or squash. You can also grill the wrap (countertop electric works best) for some added flavor and presentation. Basically, any meal that supplies a generous portion of complex carbs, some protein and a little unsaturated fat makes a great post-workout meal.

• Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 29, 2005 12:01 PM (in response to reebe16)

Try satays, you can put virtually anything in them and you can eat them over rice or noodles, whatever you feel like.  Best of all, they don't take very long to make!  (look at the "No Diets" topic if you want a bit more info)

• FAST45 Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 31, 2005 10:25 AM (in response to reebe16)

I really like "embellished" Ramen Noodle soup, stocked   in the soup section at stores;it's dry noodles with a seasoning packet. Very cheap. I add broccoli florets, baby carrots and a crushed garlic clove to the cold water; while that's heating I microwave chicken breasts or lightly brown in olive oil, then slice them and add to the boiling water with the noodles and only half the seasoning pack (very salty).  By the time noodles are soft, veggies are tender crisp.  Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread and you've got protein, complex carbs and those vitamin-loaded, anti-oxidant loaded vegetables. Best eaten with chopsticks!

• swimnmoose Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Nov 9, 2005 8:12 PM (in response to reebe16)

Another meal that is quick and is a low carb diet is the viola meals.  They are in the frozen food section and takes 10 minutes to cook.  My boyfriend and I eat them occasionally when we are both running late and want something quick and easy.  Here are some of the meals they have...

1. Down Home Chicken and Vegetables

2. Roasted Garlic Chicken and Vegetables

3. Chicken and Sausage Tuscano

4. Teriyaki Beef and Vegetables

5. Chicken Teriyaki and Vegetables

They are really good!!

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Nov 11, 2005 8:15 AM (in response to reebe16)

I certainly don't mean to attack swimnmoose, but to inform reebe16 and others. If you're pretty active, don't do the low carb thing. It'll only hurt you. Consuming carbs with some protein after a workout (4:1)will shut down production of catabolic (tissue breakdown) hormones, increase production of anabolic and growth hormones and will help rehydrate your cells quickly. Besides, gaining weight is about consuming more calories than you expend, not consuming more than 60 g of carbs a day.

• Beerpace Pro 157 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Nov 11, 2005 9:01 PM (in response to reebe16)

I agree. Carbs/protein are needed after a hard workout. I will usually have a good mix of pasta and protein(chicken) afterwords. If it is an a.m. workout, than oatmeal with raisins is the bees knees. Protein(or carbs) alone just doesn't cut it. Recovery is the key, and a good mix seems to be best. Enjoy.

• swimnmoose Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Nov 12, 2005 12:37 AM (in response to reebe16)

I wasnt going about the whole low carb thing... I was just saying if you wanted something fast and that is good thats something to try. So... thats just my own opinion about favorite meals that I would eat after a workout.

• smilyus Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Nov 19, 2005 11:30 AM (in response to reebe16)

Get a crockpot. You can make so many healthy and quick meals in those things and it will be ready to go when you are finished. Look around on the internet for all sorts of receipes to suit your tastes.

Another tip - cook on the weekend for the week. Sometimes I will prep some meals (i.e take out the rice cooker and make a bunch of brown rice for the week  it freezes fine and can be nuked back with a little liquid, cook up a turkey breast in the crockpot and "shredded" the meat for other meals and snack, etc...) Then, I can make some heat and go meals for lunch, dinner or whatever.

• jsuther Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Nov 20, 2005 5:55 PM (in response to reebe16)

I don't know where you live, but here in the midwest with fall setting in after a run in the cool evening air a good bowl of chicken noodle soup hits the spot. To speed up the process stop at the grocery store on your way home and pick up a rotisserie chicken.  Boil some chicken stock with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, egg noodles and the chicken(cut or torn into pieces) and you've got a tasty meal in about 10 minutes.  The rotisserie chicken is great because it's already been seasoned and flavors the soup for you.

If you want extra carbs take some artisan bread, cut into bite size pieces and toss it with olive oil and thyme.  Put this in the oven for about 10-12 mintues and you've got a great soup topper--or croutons for a salad.

• seaballs Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Dec 6, 2005 1:09 PM (in response to reebe16)
    Favorite post-run quick dinners

I found that the easiest and healthies recipes are those found in the canned tomato isle.  Del Monte has about a half-dozen recipes that are made with the tomatoes and other canned items that you just throw together with some noodles and most of them are very healthy.  It really easy to just go to the store and have the recipe there for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...