Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1151 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2007 5:46 PM by maryt091 RSS
shelly321020 Rookie 7 posts since
Aug 22, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2007 3:44 AM

MARATHON DONE!!!

Ran my first marathon on Sunday using the Galloway method.  The first 1/2 of the race I warmed up in the first mile running 5 minutes walking 30 seconds then switched to a 4/30 ratio.  In the second 1/2 I did more 4/1 and 3/1 splits.  Somewhere around mile 24 I started walking for 2 minutes and running for 3 or more if I could.  I had a very nervous stomach before and during the race - this made it difficult to hydrate and take my gels without throwing up... - which by the way I didn't let bother me.. I gave myself until 4:45 in my mind to finish - truly wanted to finish in 4:30.  I was on track at the half at a time of 2:14 and at around mile 20.  I believe it took me an hour to finish the last 4 miles.. So I finished in a somewhat respectable 4:41:11... I trained alone, I ran the marathon alone and using this method helped a 38 year old mom who just started running 2 years ago cross a big one off of my life list.  I am not as sore as I expected to be in most areas- I really think the walking is such a great recovery tool.  My "magic mile" is faster than I ever expected - it was a 7:16 last I checked... 

Uncle Steve - thought of you during my race - I hope you had a great race experience also.

For those who say the Galloway method doesn't work - I think I am living proof that it does - I did every long run in the 26 week program and I had no INJURIES!!!! Two days post race I feel great - the stairs may be my friend again in a day or two but it makes you realize the accomplishment of completing the race...

"Luck is what you have left after you give 100 percent..."
Langston Coleman

[http://This message has been edited by shelly321 (edited May-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by shelly321 (edited May-30-2007).]

• UncleSteve59 Pro 134 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. May 30, 2007 8:39 AM (in response to shelly321020)
    Re: MARATHON DONE!!!

CONGRATULATIONS  SHELLY!!!  You ROCK!!!

You've accomplished something less than 1% of the population can match Shelly. Bask in your victory.

It's amazing how much your RR (Race Report) reflects my own Sunday experience at Vermont City. (My RR is in the Boomers & Beyond forum.) My goal time was also 4:30, and my net time was 4:40:55...a mere 16 seconds away from yours. My 1/2 time was 2:12:12, less than 2 min off your 1/2 time. However, VCM had a significant hill at mile 15 so my 20 mile time slipped quite a bit. But I hung on and even finished strong, only 11 minutes off my goal. Another similarity we shared (unfortunately) was a feeling of nausea. For me it started around 18 and lasted until about an hour after I finished, but like you, I was able to run thru it.

Shelly, your 4:41 is more than just "respectable", it's downright awesome! Completing a marathon (and enjoying it!) after only two years of running is an astounding accomplishment. You should be very, very proud of yourself. I am so happy you had a great experience.

As for Gallo-Running, you are right. It's not for everybody (what is?), but for many people it's perfect. I also feel great today. And injury free. I did 4 easy miles this morning as I try to recover, yet stay fresh, because I'm doing a half marathon this coming Sunday in Simsbury, CT. I credit run/walking for allowing me to do this.

Thanks for sharing your RR Shelly. Savour your success...maybe with some Ben & Jerry's to calm that nervous stomach. You did great!

Steve

• korbels Rookie 31 posts since
    Feb 9, 2007
    2. May 30, 2007 12:29 PM (in response to shelly321020)

WOHOOO Shelly, thrilled to hear your story...if you scroll down mine from Fargo on May 19th is in here too. I also had an amazing first marathon.

great job!!!!

So exciting!!! congrats!!!

• joeyverville Amateur 61 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    4. May 31, 2007 9:10 AM (in response to shelly321020)

Congrats, Shelly.  You've given me inspiration.  I have been running for a little over a year now and hope to do a marathon within the next three years.  Maybe I can do it sooner.  I'm only doing 5k's now and before the summer is out, plan to sign up for a 10k. 
    You are awesome!! So glad your family was/is supportive. That is so helpful. BTW, how old are you. I'm 51 and sometimes wonder about my ability to do long distances but am determined to persevere.
    You're doing great and thanks for posting your story.
    Joey

• maryt091 Pro 781 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 1, 2007 5:46 PM (in response to shelly321020)

Shelly
    I love hearing Galloway success stories!  Congratulations on your first marathon!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...